Chit Chat
Options

Suggestions on a good beach read!!

Ladies, I need your input!  I'm headed off on my honeymoon in 7 days and need to find the perfect book to read while relaxing on the beach!  I'm looking for suggestions on the perfect beach read.  When I have spare time to read a good book I usually go the direction of chick lit but am not opposed to a good attention grabbing non-fiction book either.  I don't do politics, science fiction or horror.  Thank you in advance!!!! :)

Re: Suggestions on a good beach read!!

• Options
    I'm currently reading Mr. Penumbra's 24 hour Bookstore by Robin Sloan, it's a fun read and would go well on a beach I think?

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I'm currently reading Mr. Penumbra's 24 hour Bookstore by Robin Sloan, it's a fun read and would go well on a beach I think?
    Not good enough. This needs to be *~perfect.~*
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • Options
    What Alice Forgot by Liane Moriarty- my mom sent it to me for my honeymoon beach read and it was perfect. It's about a woman who wakes up after falling off an elyptical and realizes  that she has lost 10 years of her life. She thinks that she is 12 week pregnant 29 year old newlywed, but she is actually 39 with 3 kids and is about to get divorced. It's actually a pretty thought-provoking examination about marriage. It made me think about the how the little things can add up to hurt your marriage if you let them.

I want to read her other more popular book- The Husband's Secret next. 
  • Options
    I have this very cool book, "Beowulf on the Beach," which is basically a guide to 50 "classics" that are actually really fun beach reads. That books itself is a great beach read, and it'll tell you classic that are also good beach reads! Here's the description from Amazon:

"Feel bad about not reading or not enjoying the so-called great books? Don’t sweat it, it’s not your fault. Did anyone tell you that Anna Karenina is a beach read, that Dickens is hilarious, that the Iliad’s battle scenes rival Hollywood’s for gore, or that Joyce is at his best when he’s talking about booze, sex, or organ meats? 

Writer and professor Jack Murnighan says it’s time to give literature another look, but this time you’ll enjoy yourself. With a little help, you’ll see just how great the great books are: how they can make you laugh, moisten your eyes, turn you on, and leave you awestruck and deeply moved. Beowulf on the Beach is your field guide–erudite, witty, and fun-loving–for helping you read and relish fifty of the biggest (and most skipped) classics of all time. For each book, Murnighan reveals how to get the most out of your reading and provides a crib sheet that includes the Buzz, the Best Line, What’s Sexy, and What to Skip."
  • Options
    I just zipped through The Royal We. It's by the ladies who penned The Fug Girls and is "fiction" that is "very loosely based" on Prince William and Kate Middleton's romance. I thought it was really amusing. Plus, I like following the royals, so if you're into that at all, this may float your boat.

• Options
    Maybe this is a stupid question, but what makes a book a BEACH read?  To me a book is a book is a book.  Whether I'm reading at the beach, in bed, on the train or wherever.  

• Options
    Maybe this is a stupid question, but what makes a book a BEACH read?  To me a book is a book is a book.  Whether I'm reading at the beach, in bed, on the train or wherever.  
    To me, a beach read is something light and fluffy and a fast read. The unabridged Count of Monte Cristo (which I read, and loved) required a bit too much focus to be a beach read. 

• Options
    @thisismynickname - That makes sense.  I guess since I'm very rarely reading more than one book at a time, whatever I'm reading goes with me wherever I'm going to have time to read.  Be it fluff or the unabridged Count of Monte Cristo.

• Options
    I read China Dolls by Lisa See last time I spent a long time reading on the beach. I loved that one.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards