Budget Weddings Forum

June Afternoon Wedding vs. Winter Evening Wedding

2»

Re: June Afternoon Wedding vs. Winter Evening Wedding

• snowywintersnowywinter member
    5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited September 2015
    Snowywinter - scroll up. I gave the OP advice that is spot on. Get a clue.
    If you do say so yourself? LOL. Wow.
  • JoanE2012 said:
    JoanE2012 said:
    JoanE2012 said:
    I'm in NJ and had a winter wedding.  Not by choice, but because I had to reschedule our early November date because of Hurricane Sandy.  I was incredibly nervous that we'd get snow or ice and nobody would show.  Thankfully we didn't (and it was mid 40s and we took pictures outside too!), but it definitely was NOT my first choice.  And if I had to do it all over again, I wouldn't pick December (or any winter month) again.

OP - Sounds like an afternoon wedding in June would work perfect for you!  

ETA - And @snowywinter - Sorrynotsorry, but there's no way I'm risking my life or DH's life driving to a wedding when the roads are bad.  Not gonna happen.   
    Then you don't go to the wedding. Simple as that. Obviously, if the roads are bad, some won't go. But as a lifelong northerner, a few snowflakes doesn't mean the roads are bad.
    Exactly.  But for you to say that people from NJ wouldn't be afraid of bad road conditions is silly. No wedding is not that important to me that I would risk my car at best and my life at worst.  And I'm pretty sure that many would feel similar.  
    I really don't understand how we went from a snow showers (that happens quite often in the winter) to life-risking driving? I'm not talking about a bad snow storm or blizzard. I'm talking about a few snowflakes. I don't know, maybe it's just me, but where I'm from, life doesn't come to a standstill when it snows. We still go to the grocery store, we still go to the mall, we still go the movies. And yes, I would still go to a wedding, barring a bad snow/ice storm or blizzard.
    Well, you're the one who said "I don't think there's anything wrong with them so long as your VIPs are okay with driving in possible bad weather. If your guests are from NJ, I doubt they'll be too scared to take on the roads, assuming there is no blizzard."

4...6....8...12 inches of snow can happen and cause treacherous roads, especially if the plows can't keep up or haven't gotten to secondary or tertiary roads.  And that can be life risking....I'm glad that you apparently haven't seen that first hand.
    Bad weather as in snow. Not bad weather as treacherous conditions. And being from northern New England, yes, I have seen that but again, that isn't what I'm talking about. I feel the need to reiterate that numerous posters right here on TK have had winter weddings by CHOICE and somehow, it wasn't the end of the world.
  • Can we agree that having a winter wedding, you run the risk of bad weather preventing people from getting there? I'm from VA and we don't like to drive in any level of snow. Grocery stores get cleaned out 48 hours in advance. Schools close for flurries. Snow is the talk of social media for days. 

Up north I'm sure people are more used to the snow and braver, but everyone has different levels of comfort. If a bride wants a winter wonderland snowy wedding and there is a safe way for her to accomplish that, more power to her. But she would need to understand that her guests may choose not to come as a result. If she's fine with that, *shrug*
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • The OP asked for advice on having a winter wedding as opposed to a summer wedding. Snowywinter, are you really this dense?

• The OP asked for advice on having a winter wedding as opposed to a summer wedding. Snowywinter, are you really this dense?
    Yes, and I gave advice on that very point. Again, just because YOU don't agree with it doesn't make it bad advice. Move on.
  • DH and I had a winter wedding in NC. Chances are, NC does not get snow in December. However, there is the chance of that to happen. If that did happen, we would have had like 2 people show up because southerners don't do snow. But that was a risk we were willing to take because that was when we wanted our wedding to be.

I kept telling people that it was either going to be freezing and snow and no one would come and we would lose a lot of money on catering OR it would be 65 degrees and sunny. We got lucky that it was 65 degrees and sunny and have most of our pictures outside.

I don't think it is bad advice to say to have a winter wedding if you want and that some people would drive. But you just have to remember that there is a chance you'll have more declines (or no shows in the case of OP in NJ) if the weather is bad.

• IMO, the OP had dreamt of a spring, evening wedding and now has to choose between spring or evening. Both afternoon receptions and winter weddings are plausible, you just have to decide which part of that vision you want to work with and works best for your VIPS. I'm having a winter wedding because that's what I've wanted and it works well for our OOT family. From your post It sounds like you're in love with the spring and should choose that date and not let an afternoon reception deter you.
  • edited September 2015
    knottie#s - I'd go with the spring wedding because it's the season that you like. I've been to plenty of afternoon weddings that included cocktail hour, 4 course dinner, open bar, dancing and festive pary atmosphere. There was no difference, at all, from the evening weddings - except guests weren't worried about driving home late.

As for the weather discussion - native New Englander here. Four to six inches of snow won't change my plans- even thought I hate winter.  More than that and I'll cancel or consider booking a room close to the venue. But winter isn't the only season with possible travel problems. Winter has blizzards- blizzard and ice storms, spring - flooding or unseasonal cool weather, summer - tropical storms.

Long story, feel free to skip it.: My daughter wanted an October wedding. The previous October, we had a freak blizzard on the 28th -three feet of snow that whited out our roads and toppled trees resulting in state wide blackout. It was miserable. So daughter and fi chose Oct 28 the one year anniversary of the snow storm, figuring chances were slim for any kind of weather disaster 2 consectivie years. Yep - that's the day Hurricane Sandy made it's way up the northeast coastline.  Most of our New Jersey guests couldn't make it, guests who flew in, were stuck here for several days and were quite ineterested in the storm prep. Those who made it to the wedding (afternoon wedding, by the way) partied hard. It was a fabulous celebration. You really can't plan around the weather.

• edited October 2015
    My first wedding was in August, a tornado touched down an hour before the wedding. Out of season and rare in my state.

Moral of the story...you never know what the weather will do and therefore no date is foolproof. Pick whatever works for you and your VIPs.
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• I'd say go with spring if that's what you really want. And this is coming from someone having a winter wedding! It comes down to what you really truly care about- An evening reception or your date? It also comes down to what the weather is like where you live. I'm not a huge fan of the cold and my FH hates it but we figured we would have something happy to combat his negatives feelings of that weather :p (Our dating anniversary is in January anyway).

Regarding the weather, those things can happen almost year round. I know people getting married this weekend will have to deal with the hurricane and flooding- And we're expected to get quite a bit of that flooding in my area. One of my good friends had her wedding the weekend of Hurricane Sandy and many people couldn't make it last minute or were no shows, particularly those traveling.

Anything can happen- Bad rain, hurricanes, and yes, a snow storm. I live in DE on the border of both PA and MD and my wedding is in DE but a few miles south of the bridge to NJ, to give you perspective of where I live. Snow can happen, but it's typically not horrible here. I'm not too worried about it, but to give peace of mind my venue has a policy that says in the event of a snowstorm or what have you, I can easily move it to the next weekend if there is availability. Another perk of a winter wedding- I won't have to compete for dates and can easily do that.

But I'm simply giving a couple different perspectives. From what it sounds like, you'd prefer a spring wedding. Afternoon weddings are great, IMO. Don't sweat it!

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• It sounds like the only reason you are looking at winter is the budget.  Afternoon weddings are lovely. As PP have pointed out, you've got lots of benefits to the June option.  If you still dream of continuing the party, host an after party, or take the time to spend with DH.

Bonus, it's far cheaper to get the flowers you seem to prefer when they are in season.

FWIW, my FI and I are having a late morning wedding followed directly by a lunch reception (also budgetary reasons). We wanted a blow out party, but had to make concessions for things that were more important (date and location). It will end around 4:00.  Our parents might host a post-wedding evening event, but it is still up in the air.  We've taken the opportunity to make it even more memorable. We have a special date planned for after our reception (romantic dinner at a great restaurant in our hotel).  I love our schedule, because it means that I get to spend the day with him, and will still be able to sit down and just focus on him when the party's over.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards