Wedding 911
Options

Future Mother In Law Question(s)...

So a bit of background - my fiancé and I have been together for years. At this point we have been engaged for over a year as well. I work in Event Design. I'm incredibly close to my parents (who are paying for almost everything - and what they are not paying for, I am) and am not someone who really needs a lot of help given my background in planning and design. My fiancé is really close to his dad and he loves his mom but he doesn't spend much time with her because their personalities sort of clash.

I understand that my FMIL wants to be involved, and I have tried to include her in things such as offering to go shopping for her dress with her, showing her the invitations I designed, making sure she got a Save The Date long before they were sent out, kept her updated on all the details of the wedding and even helped her pick a song for the Mother/Son dance (something she was very excited about that we weren't initially planning on, so I asked my groom to do this with her) - but she has been judgmental about the things I have chosen so far ("you really like that? I guess times have changed...", "oh, that's it? I thought it would be bigger." - that kind of thing), has tried to "buy a table" for people we have never met (my groom and I divided our guest list in half and I told him it was his choice to give some invites to his parents for them to choose, which he did not opt to do beyond certain family members), and frequently shows up with things from her wedding and gives them to us and is rather aggressive in trying to guilt us into using them (despite them not being our taste or family heirlooms - which I obviously would include out of respect) and tries to invite herself to things that my mother and I or my bridesmaids and I are doing. She got very upset when I didn't ask his sister to be a bridesmaid (she lives out of state and we aren't close, I couldn't even have all of my closest friends in my wedding party because we are keeping it semi-small) and immediately called my fiancé (who was the one who said he was fine with my not asking his sister initially) and gave him an earful about how that wasn't right and his sister should be one. He had my back, thankfully! My FMIL has also made comments about my parents that are not necessarily diplomatic and seems very competitive with them. I know that with two different families you will have different personalities and not everyone is going to be close. My parents both like my future father in law a lot, but have overheard some of the remarks my FMIL has made and have given her some distance after that. Everyone is nice and civil to each other, but my FMIL really wants to be very close to my parents, which is probably never going to happen.

I'm an only child, so this is hopefully the one time my mom will get to do this. I have loved having her input, but even she has watched me plan things and then come to her with a finished product. My fiancé has a sister and she is in a serious relationship, probably close to getting married herself - so his mother will get to have this experience with her daughter. When my fiancé mentioned this to her she replied that she doesn't think her daughter will let her help, which my fiancé told her was not MY fault.

I have made sure to keep his mother updated on what's going on, incorporated the things she has given us that I can make room for, show her pictures and designs and talk to her about the wedding, but she has very dramatically (and repeatedly) proclaimed that she is being excluded and that the groom's mother should be a bigger part of the wedding. My fiancé and his father both told her that she's overreacting and not being excluded, but she keeps making comments about it and incorporating it into all the things we're sharing with her.

Am I being selfish here? Any ideas on things I can include my FMIL in that won't disrupt the wedding my fiancé and I have been planning?

Re: Future Mother In Law Question(s)...

• Options
    VicTim328VicTim328 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited October 2015

So a bit of background - my fiancé and I have been together for years. At this point we have been engaged for over a year as well. I work in Event Design. I'm incredibly close to my parents (who are paying for almost everything - and what they are not paying for, I am) and am not someone who really needs a lot of help given my background in planning and design. My fiancé is really close to his dad and he loves his mom but he doesn't spend much time with her because their personalities sort of clash.

I understand that my FMIL wants to be involved, and I have tried to include her in things such as offering to go shopping for her dress with her, showing her the invitations I designed, making sure she got a Save The Date long before they were sent out, kept her updated on all the details of the wedding and even helped her pick a song for the Mother/Son dance (something she was very excited about that we weren't initially planning on, so I asked my groom to do this with her) - but she has been judgmental about the things I have chosen so far ("you really like that? I guess times have changed...", "oh, that's it? I thought it would be bigger." - that kind of thing), has tried to "buy a table" for people we have never met (my groom and I divided our guest list in half and I told him it was his choice to give some invites to his parents for them to choose, which he did not opt to do beyond certain family members), and frequently shows up with things from her wedding and gives them to us and is rather aggressive in trying to guilt us into using them (despite them not being our taste or family heirlooms - which I obviously would include out of respect) and tries to invite herself to things that my mother and I or my bridesmaids and I are doing. She got very upset when I didn't ask his sister to be a bridesmaid (she lives out of state and we aren't close, I couldn't even have all of my closest friends in my wedding party because we are keeping it semi-small) and immediately called my fiancé (who was the one who said he was fine with my not asking his sister initially) and gave him an earful about how that wasn't right and his sister should be one. He had my back, thankfully! My FMIL has also made comments about my parents that are not necessarily diplomatic and seems very competitive with them. I know that with two different families you will have different personalities and not everyone is going to be close. My parents both like my future father in law a lot, but have overheard some of the remarks my FMIL has made and have given her some distance after that. Everyone is nice and civil to each other, but my FMIL really wants to be very close to my parents, which is probably never going to happen.

I'm an only child, so this is hopefully the one time my mom will get to do this. I have loved having her input, but even she has watched me plan things and then come to her with a finished product. My fiancé has a sister and she is in a serious relationship, probably close to getting married herself - so his mother will get to have this experience with her daughter. When my fiancé mentioned this to her she replied that she doesn't think her daughter will let her help, which my fiancé told her was not MY fault.

I have made sure to keep his mother updated on what's going on, incorporated the things she has given us that I can make room for, show her pictures and designs and talk to her about the wedding, but she has very dramatically (and repeatedly) proclaimed that she is being excluded and that the groom's mother should be a bigger part of the wedding. My fiancé and his father both told her that she's overreacting and not being excluded, but she keeps making comments about it and incorporating it into all the things we're sharing with her.

Am I being selfish here? Any ideas on things I can include my FMIL in that won't disrupt the wedding my fiancé and I have been planning?

It sounds like you have made efforts to include her.  I think at this point, she is frustrated that she thinks she won't have this experience with her daughter etc.  She may also think that because your mom is involved that she needs to be involved.  Since this hasn't been working for you, I would try to minimize conversations about the wedding with her.  It may be helpful to make an effort to talk to her about non-wedding related things.  Take this as an opportunity to work on building a relationship with her, unless you are asking for her opinion/assistance. My mom and my father's mother hated each other for 30 years. It got worse after my parents divorced.  My mom continually invited my grandmother to family functions and holidays, even after she and my father remarried.  Eventually, they came to have a healthy relationship with each other.  The relationship had to exist exclusive of  the other relationships (marriage/children).

As for the relationship between your parents and his mom, I would just let it be. Focus on having a good relationship with her first.  Parents typically will have a relationship with someone if that person has a good/healthy relationship with their child.

As for the guest list, if your FI was given a certain number of guests he was allowed to invite, FMIL's issue is with FI not you. There is a saying "those who pay get a say."  If she was offering to pay for several guests' meals and there was enough space, I would let her do it.

As for the sister as a BM, is she upset by it? Or is it just FMIL?  Family members respond to wedding parties differently.  FFIL and my mom wanted all of our siblings to be included (we are both 1 of 4).  Our sisters and my brother would have been upset they weren't asked, but his brother could not have cared less.  Did we necessarily want them? No, but it was the price we were willing to pay for peace, and a step towards rebuilding his strained relationship with his brother and sister.

If you want to continue including her, which you probably should, try asking her to take care of a task.  But only if she has been offering to help with whatever you need from the start.  My best friend's FMIL is constantly calling her offering to help.  She's retired and lives 400 miles away from her kids.  It's her way of trying to stay involved. Eventually, my friend just let her take over minor details (bubbles, favors, programs).  Your FMIL seems anxious and ready to help.  Try something like "Hey Mom, I'm kind of swamped at work these next three weeks, is there any chance you can help me get XYZ done?" 

Is she planning on hosting the RD? If so, maybe have FI nudge her to start planning that. If there are little things that need to be picked out, and you don't particularly care about them, let her pick them out.  I would let her hear it from FI.  Let him work on his relationship with her too.
  • Options
    Nope. Sounds like you've done your part. As PP said, you can try to include her in minor things, but it sounds to me that giving her too much leeway will derail your planning and turn everything into a debate, which it shouldn't be. As far as your FSIL, I think if FI was fine with you not including her in the beginning, you are unlikely to have offended her. Either way, it is ultimately your call. I'm assuming at this point you have already asked your wedding party? It is impolite to add members after the fact, and if needed your FI can explain that to his Mother. Also that her making impolite comments about your parents is not going to aid in forming a closer relationship with anyone.

Your hands seem clean on this one.
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    I can't find a single fault in anything you and your fi have done. At this point, you should probably not discuss the wedding with her when she's being whiny. Just as with toddlers, you're rewarding her bad behavior when you pay attention to the whining. Has your fi told his mom that your parents overheard her remarks? It might take the wind out her sails if she knows she has caused the distance in the relationships.

Jobs for your FMIL - all optional

1. FMIL could fill in table assignments chart for the Groom's family
    2. Allow the parents to choose which guests they would like to host at their tables at the wedding reception
    3. If she's offered to host the RD - she should choose the location, plan the menu, make up the guest list and invitations
    4. She could host continental breakfast for the GM the morning of the wedding - her son should ask her to do this. Or groom could ask his mom and dad out for breakfast, brunch or lunch as a thank you to them for being great parents - keeps her out of your hair that morning
    5. FMIL should be invited to any showers and pre-wedding parties, excluding the BP - unless you want her there. 
    6. If your'e making wedding favors - it would seem easy enough to include her in that. 

• Options

Thank you all for the input! I like the idea of including her in some smaller tasks like favor making. She's very crafty and can do some amazing things, so that might be a good outlet for her to feel like she's helping out and for me to let her take the lead.

FMIL is planning to host the rehearsal dinner, which I'm fine with letting her plan - my only concern with that is that I have a gluten allergy (definitely not a choice that I don't eat it, but a medical "that will make you very sick" issue) as do a few people in our wedding party on both his and my side, and so far the only place she has suggested is a dive bar - which is thoughtful in the fact that her son and I met there years ago when we were out with friends, but they don't really offer dinner (they have burgers and sandwiches, nothing gluten free - I've asked) and are not exactly a family friendly place since it's chiefly a bar. So I'm hoping to sort of share our past dates with her and tell her what places are important to us so that maybe she will pick one of those.  

FMIL and FSIL will both be invited to all showers and pre-wedding activities, as will his grandmother and aunts. I also offered to make a fun day trip for dress shopping and lunch with both of them so we can spend some time together without pressure and just have the girl-bonding that I know is important to her.

FSIL seems genuinely fine with not being a bridesmaid, she essentially admitted the only reason she wanted to be one was to be in a wedding, and now that several of her friends are getting engaged I think she's out of that phase. When my fiancé explained to his sister that she would have to do things like buy a dress, help plan showers and the bachelorette and help me out with wedding stuff, she wasn't into the idea anymore since she lives far away and didn't think she would be able to. Initially she thought you just show up on the day in a nice dress and that's all there is to it (which is understandable, since she hasn't been in a wedding before! As a former MOH and bridesmaid, I know the duties all too well!) but she seemed actually thankful to not have to do any of it once he told her what she'd have to participate in.

• Options

Thank you all for the input! I like the idea of including her in some smaller tasks like favor making. She's very crafty and can do some amazing things, so that might be a good outlet for her to feel like she's helping out and for me to let her take the lead.

FMIL is planning to host the rehearsal dinner, which I'm fine with letting her plan - my only concern with that is that I have a gluten allergy (definitely not a choice that I don't eat it, but a medical "that will make you very sick" issue) as do a few people in our wedding party on both his and my side, and so far the only place she has suggested is a dive bar - which is thoughtful in the fact that her son and I met there years ago when we were out with friends, but they don't really offer dinner (they have burgers and sandwiches, nothing gluten free - I've asked) and are not exactly a family friendly place since it's chiefly a bar. So I'm hoping to sort of share our past dates with her and tell her what places are important to us so that maybe she will pick one of those.  

FMIL and FSIL will both be invited to all showers and pre-wedding activities, as will his grandmother and aunts. I also offered to make a fun day trip for dress shopping and lunch with both of them so we can spend some time together without pressure and just have the girl-bonding that I know is important to her.

FSIL seems genuinely fine with not being a bridesmaid, she essentially admitted the only reason she wanted to be one was to be in a wedding, and now that several of her friends are getting engaged I think she's out of that phase. When my fiancé explained to his sister that she would have to do things like buy a dress, help plan showers and the bachelorette and help me out with wedding stuff, she wasn't into the idea anymore since she lives far away and didn't think she would be able to. Initially she thought you just show up on the day in a nice dress and that's all there is to it (which is understandable, since she hasn't been in a wedding before! As a former MOH and bridesmaid, I know the duties all too well!) but she seemed actually thankful to not have to do any of it once he told her what she'd have to participate in.

Just an FYI, that *is* all that is expected. You and your FI (and anyone else kicking in money) should be planning your wedding. Any labor that you and your FI are not doing yourselves should be done by a paid professional. And showers/bachelorette parties are not required. Heck, bachelorette parties weren't even a thing until the last few decades.
    ~*~*~*~*~

• Options

Just an FYI, that *is* all that is expected. You and your FI (and anyone else kicking in money) should be planning your wedding. Any labor that you and your FI are not doing yourselves should be done by a paid professional. And showers/bachelorette parties are not required. Heck, bachelorette parties weren't even a thing until the last few decades.

I'm by no means anticipating people do "labor", but usually bridesmaids do help out with things (and usually want to), show up to events and purchase their gown (unless it's provided as a gift). And my fiancé and I are planning everything.

However, in all the weddings I have been in, the bridesmaids help the bride get ready on that day and organize a bachelorette or send-off.They also usually assist the bride during the wedding & events if needed, again not with labor but with little things like helping round people up for photos and making sure the bride and fiancé have what they need.

My bridesmaids and MOH have all graciously offered to help me with things, though I am doing most of what the other professionals are not.

• Options

I'm by no means anticipating people do "labor", but usually bridesmaids do help out with things (and usually want to), show up to events and purchase their gown (unless it's provided as a gift). And my fiancé and I are planning everything.

However, in all the weddings I have been in, the bridesmaids help the bride get ready on that day and organize a bachelorette or send-off.They also usually assist the bride during the wedding & events if needed, again not with labor but with little things like helping round people up for photos and making sure the bride and fiancé have what they need.

My bridesmaids and MOH have all graciously offered to help me with things, though I am doing most of what the other professionals are not.

The bolded are the operative words. They OFFERED to help.  Meaning it is voluntary.  If they didn't want to help then that should be okay, since they are not required to help.

I think brides tend to forget the real meaning of BMs.  And that is to HONOR your nearest and dearest.  With this honor should come absolutely no expectation from them to help you or plan any parties for your.  Do a lot of BMs help and plan parties?  Yes, but they should only do that because they want to, not because they think it is a requirement from all of those ridiculous "BM Duties" lists you find all over the internet.

• Options

The bolded are the operative words. They OFFERED to help.  Meaning it is voluntary.  If they didn't want to help then that should be okay, since they are not required to help.

I think brides tend to forget the real meaning of BMs.  And that is to HONOR your nearest and dearest.  With this honor should come absolutely no expectation from them to help you or plan any parties for your.  Do a lot of BMs help and plan parties?  Yes, but they should only do that because they want to, not because they think it is a requirement from all of those ridiculous "BM Duties" lists you find all over the internet.
    Yep, this. My BMs didn't do anything other than show up. I even paid for their dresses. I had no pre-wedding parties (nor did I particularly want any, especially since I didn't register for anything). They didn't help with the planning at all. None of them helped me get ready (I was dressed and made up before they even got to my room that morning). I changed dresses without any help from anyone. Our caterer provided us with our own valet for the wedding, but we told them we were fine on our own and to focus on our guests so I definitely wouldn't have expected anyone from the BP to help us with anything. We get SO MANY brides-to-be on here that complain that their bridesmaids aren't "doing their duties" and want to "fire" them based on something they found on some internet source whose goal is to make money from the wedding industry. I just can't understand the mentality some people have where they expect people to fawn over them and go out of their way to do things for them (for free!) simply because they've chosen to get married.
    ~*~*~*~*~

• Options

I haven't asked anyone to plan anything (though I have asked for input - which is essentially what I mean by helping plan) or given any lists of bridesmaids duties. Yes, I have seen those lists and NO, I don't think they're all accurate. A lot of them are excuses for brides to be divas and being a bride doesn't mean you treat your friends and family like servants - which I have never said and do not advocate.

However, helping out your friend during the wedding and events, which presumably a friend would be doing and want to do anyway, is pretty standard. If you're not close to the bride and you have no interest in participating in anything prior to the wedding or supporting them in some way during a stressful time, being a bridesmaid probably isn't that important to you either way. When someone doesn't want to be a part of the wedding, I don't think it's necessary to have them involved when they will be invited either way and still get to enjoy the day.

• Options

I haven't asked anyone to plan anything (though I have asked for input - which is essentially what I mean by helping plan) or given any lists of bridesmaids duties. Yes, I have seen those lists and NO, I don't think they're all accurate. A lot of them are excuses for brides to be divas and being a bride doesn't mean you treat your friends and family like servants - which I have never said and do not advocate.

However, helping out your friend during the wedding and events, which presumably a friend would be doing and want to do anyway, is pretty standard. If you're not close to the bride and you have no interest in participating in anything prior to the wedding or supporting them in some way during a stressful time, being a bridesmaid probably isn't that important to you either way. When someone doesn't want to be a part of the wedding, I don't think it's necessary to have them involved when they will be invited either way and still get to enjoy the day.

You are still missing the point of what a BM is.  YOU as the bride are bestowing a position of honor on your friend by asking her to be your BM.  Being a BM is a ceremonial role of honor for that friend, and that's it.  Since it's a CEREMONIAL role of honor, all this person need do is be present for your CEREMONY, period.

And a wedding is not a time when you should need support.  A wedding is a joyous occasion, support is typically reserved for times of great grief, tragedy, personal illness, death, etc.  Sure a wedding can be stressful, but then you get support from your FI. . . the other person you are marrying.

I had 10 BMs in my WP.  I asked them to be a part of my wedding party because I loved them all to death and they are my closest friends and family.  I did not expect them to help me with anything, show up to any pre wedding events, listen to me bitch about how my family was driving me nuts, etc.  Many of them offered to help me with things, and sometimes I accepted their help, some of them could not attend pre wedding events due to work schedules or family obligations, and my FI was the one who had to listen to me bitch about my family because he wanted the damned, huge party and I just wanted to elope!

I didn't think any less of the ladies who had no desire to help me DIY or any more of those that did, and I never expected anyone to have an interest in my wedding beyond showing up the day of.

I did expect everyone to have a kickass time, though, since that was our goal in planning the reception.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• Options

• Options

It doesn't sound to me like you're being selfish.  It sounds to me like you've been trying to include her, and she's been critical and pushy.  Luckily your FI has your back.

I think that going forward, I would not try to "include" your FMIL in any more plans or conversations about the wedding.  If she asks about anything, just tell her that you have it covered or you'll take it under advisement, and then change the subject (around here this conversational technique is called "bean dipping" as in: Pushy comment/"Thanks.  Bean dip?").  If she still won't let it drop, then I would tell her, "I'm sorry you don't like what we have planned, but that's what's on the agenda.  I'm not open to discussing it anymore."

And if that still doesn't work, you and your FI will have to set firm boundaries with your FMIL.  He should take the lead: "Mom, you've been very negative and judgmental about the plans, and we're not willing to hear any more criticism about them.  From now on, the plans for our wedding are a closed topic of conversation."

• Options
    ClaudiaVDW - I thought you were perfect until you mentioned that your FSIL would be required, as a bm, to help out with planning the pre-wedding events and help out with wedding stuff :( That isn't correct. Your FSIL was right in thinking that bms duties are limited to buying the dress and showing up sober and on time for the wedding. Anything else is voluntary. 

• Options

When my sister got married, I was her MOH. One day I was at my parents house dropping something off and the plan for that day was stuffing the invitations. On my way out, my mom and sis asked if I wanted to stay and help. 

No. No, I did not. 

So I left and nobody cared. 

I love my sister dearly and was honored that she asked me to be her MOH, because frankly I thought she was going to ask a friend and I'd be a BM. But, sorry, not my circus and your 250 invitations are not my monkeys and my not wanting to help with that doesn't make me less of a friend, let alone less of a sister. 
  • Options

You are still missing the point of what a BM is.  YOU as the bride are bestowing a position of honor on your friend by asking her to be your BM.  Being a BM is a ceremonial role of honor for that friend, and that's it.  Since it's a CEREMONIAL role of honor, all this person need do is be present for your CEREMONY, period.

And a wedding is not a time when you should need support.  A wedding is a joyous occasion, support is typically reserved for times of great grief, tragedy, personal illness, death, etc.  Sure a wedding can be stressful, but then you get support from your FI. . . the other person you are marrying.

I had 10 BMs in my WP.  I asked them to be a part of my wedding party because I loved them all to death and they are my closest friends and family.  I did not expect them to help me with anything, show up to any pre wedding events, listen to me bitch about how my family was driving me nuts, etc.  Many of them offered to help me with things, and sometimes I accepted their help, some of them could not attend pre wedding events due to work schedules or family obligations, and my FI was the one who had to listen to me bitch about my family because he wanted the damned, huge party and I just wanted to elope!

I didn't think any less of the ladies who had no desire to help me DIY or any more of those that did, and I never expected anyone to have an interest in my wedding beyond showing up the day of.

I did expect everyone to have a kickass time, though, since that was our goal in planning the reception.

Support is not always a negative thing - particularly when speaking of an event where you want people who care about you as a couple to surround you and share in your joy. Support can also be referring to an achievement or goal. Support does not mean asking people to "listen to me bitch." If someone has a reason for not attending a pre-wedding event I absolutely accept that and wouldn't ask anyone to put their life on hold for my wedding, but when someone is flat out not interested that's an entirely different thing in my opinion.

With all due respect to the opinions shared about bridesmaids, this post was originally asking for ways to involve my FMIL.There are many different opinions on bridesmaids and their role, but at a certain point you have to agree to disagree since there isn't an answer that no one can find fault with. I haven't asked anyone to do anything beyond buying a dress, showing up and being happy for us - and won't be doing so in the future.

I really appreciate everyone's help with the original post, and would love input and any other creative ideas people may have for incorporating my FMIL into the wedding without ending up with a wildly different day from what my fiancé and I have planned.

• Options

Support is not always a negative thing - particularly when speaking of an event where you want people who care about you as a couple to surround you and share in your joy. Support can also be referring to an achievement or goal. Support does not mean asking people to "listen to me bitch." If someone has a reason for not attending a pre-wedding event I absolutely accept that and wouldn't ask anyone to put their life on hold for my wedding, but when someone is flat out not interested that's an entirely different thing in my opinion.

With all due respect to the opinions shared about bridesmaids, this post was originally asking for ways to involve my FMIL.There are many different opinions on bridesmaids and their role, but at a certain point you have to agree to disagree since there isn't an answer that no one can find fault with. I haven't asked anyone to do anything beyond buying a dress, showing up and being happy for us - and won't be doing so in the future.

I really appreciate everyone's help with the original post, and would love input and any other creative ideas people may have for incorporating my FMIL into the wedding without ending up with a wildly different day from what my fiancé and I have planned.

But you do EXPECT them to help you correct?

• Options

If they want to help, that's fine. But as stated in the first post - since this is literally what I do for a living I really don't need it. My issue was actually that because I don't need help, my FMIL is offended. While I have done whatever I could to help the bride when I was in weddings I don't believe there is a mandatory set of rules for what you have to do.

All I have asked them to buy the dress we agreed on as a group, and I have asked them to show up to whatever they can - the wedding being the non-negotiable thing to show up for. To be clear - FSIL did not want to buy the dress. She was expecting to pick one out but have her brother and I pay for it, as well as us paying for her makeup and hair that day. Since we can't afford to do that for everyone, we didn't feel comfortable offering to do it for just her. When he told her she would have to buy a dress, she was fine with not participating.

• Options

Support is not always a negative thing - particularly when speaking of an event where you want people who care about you as a couple to surround you and share in your joy. Support can also be referring to an achievement or goal.   No, you celebrate happy things like achievements and goals, but I don't want to be too pedantic.  Support does not mean asking people to "listen to me bitch." If someone has a reason for not attending a pre-wedding event I absolutely accept that and wouldn't ask anyone to put their life on hold for my wedding, but when someone is flat out not interested that's an entirely different thing in my opinion.

So like in Redoryx's situation, if you asked a BM to help you stuff your invitations and they declined, you'd what?  Be pissed at them?  Be disappointed with them?

I've been a BM over 10 times.  Not once did I ever have a desire to help stuff invitations, or go on group BM dress shopping excursions, make favors, or anything like that.  That doesn't mean that i didn't love my friends and family whose weddings I was a part of or that I wasn't happy to celebrate with them.  It just meant that I really didn't want to make favors for someone else's wedding, sorrynotsorry.  It's a boring, tedious task.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• Options

If they want to help, that's fine. But as stated in the first post - since this is literally what I do for a living I really don't need it. My issue was actually that because I don't need help, my FMIL is offended. While I have done whatever I could to help the bride when I was in weddings I don't believe there is a mandatory set of rules for what you have to do.

All I have asked them to buy the dress we agreed on as a group, and I have asked them to show up to whatever they can - the wedding being the non-negotiable thing to show up for. To be clear - FSIL did not want to buy the dress. She was expecting to pick one out but have her brother and I pay for it, as well as us paying for her makeup and hair that day. Since we can't afford to do that for everyone, we didn't feel comfortable offering to do it for just her. When he told her she would have to buy a dress, she was fine with not participating.

Gotcha.  Seems reasonable to me.

• Options

Okay then, I feel much better.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards