Chit Chat
Options

S/O of Snarky Brides: Wedding Trends

So the many, many threads on Snarky Brides about the burlap and mason jars trend got me thinking- I'm on the younger side and don't remember being conscious of wedding trends much at all prior to the past five year, during which time the "rustic" look has dominated. 

I'm curious- what were other wedding trends in the 90's and 2000s that were really big but have become less popular now?

Re: S/O of Snarky Brides: Wedding Trends

• Options
    hellohkbhellohkb mod
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited October 2015
    Ooh, I can't wait for more replies on this thread. I'm also on the younger side... From what I remember of the 90's and early 2000s wedding shows, very blingy looking weddings were popular. Now it's spend a million dollars to look like you spent $1000. I remember a lot of silver, rhinestones, severe hairstyles, and little color.

But really, that may just be what the wedding shows and magazines featured.

ETA: Victorian was a wedding trend, which explains the puffy sleeves of the 80s and 90s. Apparently it was seen as a romantic vintage style, which I can totally see when you look back at previous wedding styles.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options
    Dresses in the 2000's were all about bright white, shiny satin in various strapless iterations. It was also really trendy back then to do mostly white dresses with colored accents, appliques, etc. 
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    I would note that colored cumberbunds and bow ties to match BM dresses and long tails were so the rage back In the early 90's judging by my brother's wedding pictures.
  • Options
    I'm happy to say we haven't seen a thread about fish bowl centerpieces in the recent past. 
    The Disney Princess theme seems to have died out.

If you want to go way, way back - the wedding party dance, where all the bms, gms, parents join the couple on the floor for a very long, uncomfortable dance. No one does that anymore.

The garter and bouquet toss seem to be dead.

• Options
    I only married a couple years ago, so I can't talk about this from real experience, but I do remember weddings as a kid in the 1990s and the wedding cakes with layers separated and held up my little plastic pillars, lol, sometimes with red punch flowing under it.  FANCY.

But it is funny to think of how we laugh at 80s and 90s weddings, and will one day be laughing at 2000s and 2010s weddings.

SaveSave
  • Options
    I can think of a few current trends that people will be laughing at in the future, but why spoil everyone's fun?

• Options
    I remember the awful beta fish trend. And around the time I got married, dresses with tons of pick ups seemed to be really popular.
  • Options
    CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited October 2015
    Well, I was married in 1976 when pastel colored tuxedos with ruffled shirts were the look.   Bridal gowns had sleeves and high waists, but they were easier to wear than today's sleeveless, strapless gowns.  Most couples had church weddings, but the hippie generation was getting married outdoors with brides wearing muslin "Mexican" wedding dresses and flowers in their hair.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Options
    Things I remember from weddings I went to or was in:

~Carrying things other than bouquets...candles, hurricane lanterns, a single balloon, bibles, and a wreath.

~All BM's looking exactly the same. Same dress (okay), jewelry, hair, shoes, EVERYTHING THE SAME. So much sameness.

~Laura Ashley dresses were very popular with white shoes.

~Dyeable shoes.

~Satin tops and tulle skirts for brides.

~Cakes with different flavors for each layer.
  • Options
    DarthV8rDarthV8r member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited October 2015
    monkeysip said:
    I only married a couple years ago, so I can't talk about this from real experience, but I do remember weddings as a kid in the 1990s and the wedding cakes with layers separated and held up my little plastic pillars, lol, sometimes with red punch flowing under it.  FANCY.

But it is funny to think of how we laugh at 80s and 90s weddings, and will one day be laughing at 2000s and 2010s weddings.

I am having a two tiered cake with pillars and a punch fountain at my wedding. Also, swiss dot gloves to match my tiered veil. 

• Options
    DarthV8rDarthV8r member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited October 2015
    Cascade bouquets were "in". My mom used to be a florist in the 90's.I remember  lots of Stargazer Lillies, and fillers like fern and baby's breath.
  • Options
    I remember someone mentioning "butt bows" a while back. Does anyone have a picture? I think I know what that is but not positive when they were popular.
  • Options
    I remember someone mentioning "butt bows" a while back. Does anyone have a picture? I think I know what that is but not positive when they were popular.

• Options
    Cascade bouquets were "in". My mom used to be a florist in the 90's.I remember  lots of Stargazer Lillies, and fillers like fern and baby's breath.
    cascade bouquets are what I think about too from the 90s
  • Options
    In the 80s and early 90s, white lace hats were big for brides and bridesmaids. Also, dying your shoes to match your dress.

Most of my family got married then. So much tacky.
  • Options
    In the 80s and early 90s, white lace hats were big for brides and bridesmaids. Also, dying your shoes to match your dress. Most of my family got married then. So much tacky.
    I had to do that for my brother's 2005 wedding I think :(
  • Options
    I'm happy to say we haven't seen a thread about fish bowl centerpieces in the recent past. 
    The Disney Princess theme seems to have died out.

If you want to go way, way back - the wedding party dance, where all the bms, gms, parents join the couple on the floor for a very long, uncomfortable dance. No one does that anymore.

The garter and bouquet toss seem to be dead.

To the bolded: my BIL and his wife did the WP dance at their wedding 3 years ago - it was the first I ever witnessed in person.  First, my H HATES dancing and he had to dance with the MOH!  It made me giggle, but then I turned and saw my MIL's face when the dance started.  She was up at the front with the rest of the WP when the dance started.  FIL had past 7 years prior, so she was by herself when everyone else paired off including the MOB/FOB to dance.  She just kind of stood there, not knowing what to do, so I ran up and danced with her. 
  • Options
    CMGragain said:
    Well, I was married in 1976 when pastel colored tuxedos with ruffled shirts were the look.   Bridal gowns had sleeves and high waists, but they were easier to wear than today's sleeveless, strapless gowns.  Most couples had church weddings, but the hippie generation was getting married outdoors with brides wearing muslin "Mexican" wedding dresses and flowers in their hair.
    This almost describes my parents' wedding in 1975 haha!  Except my dad and his groomsmen wore cream jackets with black trim.  He had the ruffled shirt though.  Mom's dress was high waisted and long sleeved.  They had a church wedding.  Mom was a bit ahead of the game though, and picked a fabric (yellow and green and white daisy print LOL) but let the BMs pick their own style, I think most of them sewed their own.  They wore white floppy hats though, no flowers in their hair.  
    Married 9.12.15
  • Options
    julieanne912julieanne912 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited October 2015
    I didn't attend a lot of weddings as a kid... but one does stick out.  Our neighbors daughter had a HUGE wedding... It was probably like 1993 or 1994... I just remember her bridesmaids had on emerald green taffeta dresses, and she had like 12 or 13 of them.  And her dress was super super blingy and I think she wore one of those forehead band things with a pearl hanging from it, with the poofy veil in back.  To my pre-teen mind though, it was the most amazing dress ever.  
    Married 9.12.15
  • Options
    Tiaras. All the weddings I went to as a kid, the bride wore a tiara. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    My FSIL is kind of a slave to trends and looooves mason jars and burlap (like, I had to fight her off when she offered to do my centerpieces). However she got married well before the "rustic chic" craze in the mid 00's and her whole bridal party wore short, shiny bright red dresses with their hair done in typical millennium updo/spiky/cornrow/braided fashion. 

• Options
    All the weddings I have been to have taken place between my early to late 20's.  And I honestly could not remember anything super trendy from any of them.  Oh I am sure that there were plenty of trendy things, but I just can't remember anything specifically.  Now the food?  I can tell you who had the best food and who's food just sucked.

• Options
    All the weddings I have been to have taken place between my early to late 20's.  And I honestly could not remember anything super trendy from any of them.  Oh I am sure that there were plenty of trendy things, but I just can't remember anything specifically.  Now the food?  I can tell you who had the best food and who's food just sucked.

Same with who had a cash bar. 

• Options
    banana468 said:
    I remember the awful beta fish trend. And around the time I got married, dresses with tons of pick ups seemed to be really popular.
    Some brides still wear dresses with pick ups. I never understood those. It made the whole dress look like a hot mess.
  • Options
    TNDancerTNDancer member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited October 2015
    kvruns said:
    cascade bouquets are what I think about too from the 90s

I am doing a cascade bouquet to mimic my mom's. She got married in '81

• Options
    HeffalumpHeffalump member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited October 2015
    banana468 said:
    The pickup dresses, yes!  DD even had one as a FG dress.  (It also had a big sash, not sure if it was a butt bow or not because it was never in the same place twice.)

When I was new on Wedding Woes, there were a LOT of "should I give the goldfish from my centerpieces as favors or have the catering staff flush them?" posts.  They were not well-received.
  • Options
    CMGragain said:

Ditto @julieanne912 - my parents got married in '75 and had the blue pastel ruffled tuxes. My mom had a headpiece that went with her veil that was huge, and I don't remember the bridesmaid dresses terribly well, but they were red. Apparently her dress AND their dresses were the ones from the cover of a Brides magazine in '75.
    My parents also did some wedding photography when they were newlyweds, and it's also interesting to see the photo trends. Journalist style seems to be a huge thing now, but obviously "back in the day" the big thing was the family portraits and the super staged picture of mom doing the finishing touches on the dress. Another one that was a for-real thing that I think went the direction of super-tacky before falling completely out of style was the picture within the picture- we have one of my dads silouetted head with a picture of the ceremony inside, like he's thinking about the wedding. It's not bad but I've seen them go so, so wrong.
  • Options
    Wegl13 said:
    CMGragain said:

Ditto @julieanne912 - my parents got married in '75 and had the blue pastel ruffled tuxes. My mom had a headpiece that went with her veil that was huge, and I don't remember the bridesmaid dresses terribly well, but they were red. Apparently her dress AND their dresses were the ones from the cover of a Brides magazine in '75.
    My parents also did some wedding photography when they were newlyweds, and it's also interesting to see the photo trends. Journalist style seems to be a huge thing now, but obviously "back in the day" the big thing was the family portraits and the super staged picture of mom doing the finishing touches on the dress. Another one that was a for-real thing that I think went the direction of super-tacky before falling completely out of style was the picture within the picture- we have one of my dads silouetted head with a picture of the ceremony inside, like he's thinking about the wedding. It's not bad but I've seen them go so, so wrong.
    OMG this just reminded me that I'm pretty sure my parents have the same "picture in pictures" pictures.  haha!!
    Married 9.12.15
  • Options
    YES my parents have of their faces inside a candle? or something? It's weird as f***

There's also one of my dad with a small one of my mom like he's thinking about her, but also creepy.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards