Outdoor Weddings

It might be too cold for our wedding! What to do?!

Re: It might be too cold for our wedding! What to do?!

• MobKaz said:
    @ThatGilmoreGirl also said, "So Im getting married in only 20 days!!! Whoot whoot! BUT living in
    northern Indiana the weather is well...not fun and unpredictable. Looked
    up the weather and on our wedding day its suppose to be 50. Now to us
    thats not freezing and the ceremony is in a small corn crib so it might
    be bearable
    , but the reception which the temp will drop to about 40 is
    in a barn with no heat! Yikes, not sure what we will do?! Im not sure if
    I want
    to or could afford to rent those exspensive heater lamps!

Wow indeed.  Your own words.

Yeah, if you describe anything using the words "might be bearable", you know there is a problem and need to address it. Rent the heaters.
  • OP, obviously it's uncomfortable to hang out in wedding attire in the cold. And you seem to know that expecting people to do that is unreasonable. So do something about it.

Guests will see what you DID spend money on and wonder why you couldn't be bothered to provide them with basic heat. Any wedding I've ever been to where it's too hot or too cold, it's "that wedding" where people either leave early or feel obligated to stay and be miserable. Either way, they don't have fun and talk junk about it later. If you want that, go ahead. If not, rent heaters for crying out loud. It's not rocket science.
    *********************************************************************************

• kmmssg said:
    If you want everyone to leave really early don't rent the heaters.  If people get too cold they will leave right after dinner.  You did not plan this well at all.
    I'd leave right after the ceremony, frankly, if the reception venue didn't have any heat.  I feel bad for the vendors who have to work this event!
    Ditto.

OP you really need to find a way to heat your venue. Or else try to not get upset when half your guests leave before dinner.

Anniversary
  • I feel like this board needs a PSA

"If you live North of 35 degrees latitude, then you should not plan an outdoor wedding or reception from October-April."

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

"If you live North of 35 degrees latitude, then you should not plan an outdoor wedding or reception from October-April."
    And for people North of 40 degrees latitude September - May are suspect.
  • edited October 2015
    My brother in law got married last year on October 11th. We are in Montreal so I'm assuming we might be a a week or two ahead of you as far as how early it cools down. The ceremony was at 5pm, inside a barn with no heat. Guests arrived with jackets but removed them for the 15 minute ceremony. (Yes, it was a tad chilly, but people were advised in advance and dressed appropriately, I wore a long sleeve knee length dress). 

Afterwards the bridal party and close family headed outside for pictures with the beautiful backdrop of mountains and forests in the fall, gorgeous. This, I can say, is the only part that I could honestly complain about as far as weather. During the day it was about 12-13 celsius (50-55 Fahrenheit) but by the time the pictures were taken (sunset) it dropped to probably 8 or so (45ish F). But they made the pictures quick and with the drinks coming around and the gentlemen lending their suit jackets, it really wasn't that bad. It was actually kind of romantic and cozy. The rest of the guests stayed inside and had drinks, and then we joined them. 

People moving and dancing and drinking, it warmed up pretty quick. By the end of the night there was frost on the windows and no one noticed. 

So my question would be, how big is the barn vs how many people are you hosting? If it's pretty well full, I honestly wouldn't worry about it too much. The electricity from the band, the kitchen at work, people moving, it gets surprisingly warm. I thought it was great, and the cool crisp air made for a nice break for anyone who wandered outside. 

I might not be much help, just my 2 cents having been part of a cool fall barn wedding. :) 

And summer is suspect as well.   Since a 100 degree afternoon in the sun isn't my idea of a good time either.   I may not be frosted over but I'll look like a Maine lobster. 
  • banana468 said:
    I feel like this board needs a PSA

And summer is suspect as well.   Since a 100 degree afternoon in the sun isn't my idea of a good time either.   I may not be frosted over but I'll look like a Maine lobster. 
    So basically, unless you live in Hawaii or California, where you get a nice breeze off the Pacific, skip the damn otdoor weddings.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• First off BOTH barns have electricity! Second, Indiana weather is never the same! Last week it was warm and 80 and last year on the same day as our wedding it was 75!
    You're talking about the END of October. It's never as warm as 75 at the end of October. You planned this very poorly. 
    Northern Indiana and Chicago have very similar weather. Last Halloween, it snowed.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • banana468 said:

Exactly. Everyone in DC and southward should avoid outdoor weddings December-March for the cold and July-August for the heat. And that's bare minimum. Here in NC we regularly get 80 degree days on into October. (High of 81 for tomorrow where I live)
  • edited October 2015

banana468 said:

So basically, unless you live in Hawaii or California, where you get a nice breeze off the Pacific, skip the damn otdoor weddings.

*************Edited because I <3 boxes*******
    My outdoor wedding last week (that DID have a rain plan) was in the mid/upper 70s and beeeyoutiful. Sometimes unicorns do appear :smiley:

But seriously, it's not that damn hard to spot a trainwreck coming. This looks like one of them. Best plan ahead.
  • My brother in law got married last year on October 11th. We are in Montreal so I'm assuming we might be a a week or two ahead of you as far as how early it cools down. The ceremony was at 5pm, inside a barn with no heat. Guests arrived with jackets but removed them for the 15 minute ceremony. (Yes, it was a tad chilly, but people were advised in advance and dressed appropriately, I wore a long sleeve knee length dress). 

Afterwards the bridal party and close family headed outside for pictures with the beautiful backdrop of mountains and forests in the fall, gorgeous. This, I can say, is the only part that I could honestly complain about as far as weather. During the day it was about 12-13 celsius (50-55 Fahrenheit) but by the time the pictures were taken (sunset) it dropped to probably 8 or so (45ish F). But they made the pictures quick and with the drinks coming around and the gentlemen lending their suit jackets, it really wasn't that bad. It was actually kind of romantic and cozy. The rest of the guests stayed inside and had drinks, and then we joined them. 

People moving and dancing and drinking, it warmed up pretty quick. By the end of the night there was frost on the windows and no one noticed. 

So my question would be, how big is the barn vs how many people are you hosting? If it's pretty well full, I honestly wouldn't worry about it too much. The electricity from the band, the kitchen at work, people moving, it gets surprisingly warm. I thought it was great, and the cool crisp air made for a nice break for anyone who wandered outside. 

I might not be much help, just my 2 cents having been part of a cool fall barn wedding. :) 

This may be true for a healthy guest who can dance the entire night (and even that's highly debatable). But is it a safe environment for grandparents, children, and anyone with a chronic illness? (And let's be real: many healthy seeming people do not disclose hidden illnesses.)

This isn't only bad advice. It's actually bordering on dangerous.
  • banana468 said:

It's among the reasons that DH and I only thought about some of the pretty waterfront mansions for about 20 minutes.   
  • I just attended an outdoor (do-over) wedding reception in MN that was BYOB in their back yard (Good lawd there was "don't get me started"...)...  I have a picture of the bride in a camo hunting jacket...  The second the sun dropped it was FREEZING!  While I don't trust the forecast until the week-of, is there ANY possibility of you moving the time of events such that you'll be pretty much over/wrapped up before the sun/temps will drop? 

My only other thought is buy out every Farm Supply/Wal-mart/Hardware store in a 20-mile radius of heat lamps and bulbs.  As others said, you also need to find out from your venue what is/isn't allowed in terms of "Fireman's Friends" (i.e. space heaters)...  Chances are the venue has dealt with what to do to take advantage of kinetic heat when the temps drop.  Even if it means wrapping the corn crib in blue tarps to cut off the flow of cold air, it's worth it.  But really, I'd be checking out the cost of renting the local KC/Elk's/Lion's/Community Center ASAP if your venue currently doesn't have a plan in place and/or some option to provide heat isn't available.  We have a local farm here that has removable wall panels that they put on the reception area so the spring and fall are available for events (or if it rains) there without taking guest comforts. 

• MesmrEwe said:

I just attended an outdoor (do-over) wedding reception in MN that was BYOB in their back yard (Good lawd there was "don't get me started"...)...  I have a picture of the bride in a camo hunting jacket...  The second the sun dropped it was FREEZING!  While I don't trust the forecast until the week-of, is there ANY possibility of you moving the time of events such that you'll be pretty much over/wrapped up before the sun/temps will drop? 

My only other thought is buy out every Farm Supply/Wal-mart/Hardware store in a 20-mile radius of heat lamps and bulbs.  As others said, you also need to find out from your venue what is/isn't allowed in terms of "Fireman's Friends" (i.e. space heaters)...  Chances are the venue has dealt with what to do to take advantage of kinetic heat when the temps drop.  Even if it means wrapping the corn crib in blue tarps to cut off the flow of cold air, it's worth it.  But really, I'd be checking out the cost of renting the local KC/Elk's/Lion's/Community Center ASAP if your venue currently doesn't have a plan in place and/or some option to provide heat isn't available.  We have a local farm here that has removable wall panels that they put on the reception area so the spring and fall are available for events (or if it rains) there without taking guest comforts. 

The venue is her FI's grandparents' barn.

• KatWAG said:
    First off BOTH barns have electricity! Second, Indiana weather is never the same! Last week it was warm and 80 and last year on the same day as our wedding it was 75!
    You're talking about the END of October. It's never as warm as 75 at the end of October. You planned this very poorly. 
    Northern Indiana and Chicago have very similar weather. Last Halloween, it snowed.
    I was just going to post this!  I used to live in Chicago, and the year I moved south, I Googled the average first day of snowfall in Chicagoland.  October 31--I remember it, because Halloween.

You can get anything that time of year.
  • I went to FI's schools Homecoming Friday Night.  When we left it was 56 degrees out.  I was in a long sleeved button up, wool sweater coat, jeans, and hunter boots with wooly socks.  I was cold.
  • @ThatGilmoreGirl, there's a week to go! How is everything going with getting the space heated?
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • @ThatGilmoreGirl, there's a week to go! How is everything going with getting the space heated?
    A quick look at a bunch of Northern Indiana cities has next Saturday as high of 65, low of 47 and 60% chance of rain.   I'm hoping those space heaters have been secured.

Let's hope the rain will hold off for her.  I wasn't as lucky.   

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • My son was in an outdoor wedding yesterday in Central Ohio. Temperature was low 50's. They were all freezing! He said he couldn't feel his feet as they were recessing. The BM's had hand warmers but that didn't help their feet that were in in dress sandals. The bride shivered, visibly, during the entire ceremony. For heaven's sake get heaters!
  • Wowza is right.
  • My son was in an outdoor wedding yesterday in Central Ohio. Temperature was low 50's. They were all freezing! He said he couldn't feel his feet as they were recessing. The BM's had hand warmers but that didn't help their feet that were in in dress sandals. The bride shivered, visibly, during the entire ceremony. For heaven's sake get heaters!
    I worked an outdoor afternoon birthday party Saturday.  It was in the mid-high 40's.  Most guests were in coats, gloves and hats and stood around the fire pit.  Hell, it even snowed in a bunch of cities!
  • simcal18simcal18 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer First Comment
    edited October 2015
    Oh for the love of coco puffs.  I am getting so freaking sick of these Fall outdoor ceremonies.  

It is of course anyone's right to get married in any season they want, although I'm finding Fall weddings really cliché lately. (Oooh, a September/October wedding so that you can get pretty leaves and crisp air?  That's nothing like the last 17 of 20 weddings DH and I have been to in the past 3 years that have also been scheduled in the Fall!)  

And I love a good outdoor ceremony, ASSUMING that the weather cooperates--DH and I had one ourselves, although it was in July and we had a solid Plan B.

But these two trends just do not go together.  They just don't.  Yes, Fall has some beautiful days.  It also has many 50 degree sleety stinkers.  If you and FI want to take pictures outside with all the pretty leaves, go for it.  But don't subject your guests to the harsh elements involuntarily.

OP, heat the barn.  PLEASE.  For the comfort of your guests (and to save yourself from being the butt of who's-attended-the-worst-wedding contests for years to come), just do it.
  • Oh for the love of coco puffs.  I am getting so freaking sick of these Fall outdoor ceremonies.  

It is of course anyone's right to get married in any season they want, although I'm finding Fall weddings really cliché lately. (Oooh, a September/October wedding so that you can get pretty leaves and crisp air?  That's nothing like the last 17 of 20 weddings FI and I have been to in the past 3 years that have also been scheduled in the Fall!)  

And I love a good outdoor ceremony, ASSUMING that the weather cooperates--FI and I had one ourselves, although it was in July and we had a solid Plan B.

But these two trends just do not go together.  They just don't.  Yes, Fall has some beautiful days.  It also has many 50 degree sleety stinkers.  If you and FI want to take pictures outside with all the pretty leaves, go for it.  But don't subject your guests to the harsh elements involuntarily.

OP, heat the barn.  PLEASE.  For the comfort of your guests (and to save yourself from being the butt of whose-attended-the-worst-wedding contests for years to come), just do it.
    While this particular poster is doing wrong by her guests by not getting heaters, your post is not exclusive to fall weddings. Summer weddings can be just as miserable, if not more so. You got married in July and I can only speak for myself, but I'd much rather attend an outdoor wedding in October than in July. I just can't stand the heat and the hottest month of the year is not a good outdoor wedding month, in my opinion.

• Oh for the love of coco puffs.  I am getting so freaking sick of these Fall outdoor ceremonies.  

It is of course anyone's right to get married in any season they want, although I'm finding Fall weddings really cliché lately. (Oooh, a September/October wedding so that you can get pretty leaves and crisp air?  That's nothing like the last 17 of 20 weddings FI and I have been to in the past 3 years that have also been scheduled in the Fall!)  

And I love a good outdoor ceremony, ASSUMING that the weather cooperates--FI and I had one ourselves, although it was in July and we had a solid Plan B.

OP, heat the barn.  PLEASE.  For the comfort of your guests (and to save yourself from being the butt of whose-attended-the-worst-wedding contests for years to come), just do it.

While this particular poster is doing wrong by her guests by not getting heaters, your post is not exclusive to fall weddings. Summer weddings can be just as miserable, if not more so. You got married in July and I can only speak for myself, but I'd much rather attend an outdoor wedding in October than in July. I just can't stand the heat and the hottest month of the year is not a good outdoor wedding month, in my opinion.

July is more uncomfortable than October if you're in Texas maybe. Up north not so much. I got married in New England at 5:30 in the evening. It was 74 degrees and cloudy when we had our wedding ceremony. I can assure you nobody was too hot. If it had been over 80 (or even over 75 and muggy), we would have moved the ceremony into our air-conditioned venue. But the weather cooperated, so we didn't.

And I focused on Fall weddings in my post because Fall weddings are very trendy right now, and I've seen several posters on this board (and attended several weddings) where couples have attempted to pull off an outdoor ceremony in the Fall. It is rarely comfortable.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards