Honeymoon Discussions
Options

Name Change, Honeymoon, & Passports

Hi everyone! I'm sure this question has been asked a bunch of times, but I keep seeing so much conflicting info, so I'm hoping someone has a real-life experience they can share. :-) 

My husband & I just got married a couple of weeks ago, at the end of September. We're going to Iceland for our honeymoon, in March. Our tickets are already booked, and they are booked in my maiden name.

I do plan on taking my husband's last name, and want to get that process started soon. However, my passport doesn't expire for several years.

SO. If I change my name everywhere else (SSN, drivers license, bank, etc) but NOT my passport, will I be okay to fly with my passport in my maiden name to match my tickets? Did anyone else do this? 

I'll call the airline to double check but just wanted to see if anyone did anything similar. Thank you all! <3

Re: Name Change, Honeymoon, &amp; Passports

• Options
    Your passport has to match your airline tickets, so as long as those two match, you'll be fine.

• Options
    selortonselorton member
    First Comment
    edited October 2015
    Hi! **Edited by moderator** your passport has to match your plane tickets exactly.  If you have already purchased your tickets, leave your passport until you get home.  Change your name as soon as you return from Iceland.  Have fun, Iceland is a blast!  We actually considered renewing our vows there.
  • Options

I think the question here was more "can I start the name change process everywhere else but leave just my passport for after we get home?"  is that correct OP?

If so, yes, you can do that.  Your passport just has to match your airline tickets.  You should still be able to go ahead and start making changes for your social security card, drivers license, credit cards, etc.  If you have a frequent flier program you want to use for your honeymoon flights, leave that until you get back as well...the name on there has to match the name on your tickets for you to get the miles.

• Options
    It's totally fine to keep you passport in your maiden name and book your tickets under that. I haven't changed my passport yet, and it still has my maiden name. I flew to DR in March with no problem. Every other document has my married name on it (license, SS, etc).
  • Options
    Thank you so much!! Yes that's exactly what I was asking. :) 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards