DIY Wedding Forum

DIY seating?

We're having a small wedding, and found a cute little spot that would be perfect! The problem is that a good portion of it is uphill. I've tried googling ideas, and nothing.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to do DIY seating for uphill?

We'd considered doing some cute blankets in our colors for almost a picnic look (which would work with our quirky kind of "fun" wedding theme), but we've got some older family members...we don't want them to be uncomfortable.

Any ideas?

Re: DIY seating?

• I would find some other place. Sitting uphill is uncomfortable, whether it's on a blanket or a chair. Also, I assume guests are going to be expected to walk uphill to get to the chairs? With older family members, I'd be very cautious with this.
  • I'm not old but I wouldn't want to be dressed for a wedding and sitting on a blanket.

What if it rains (even the day before)?

• We're having a small wedding, and found a cute little spot that would be perfect! The problem is that a good portion of it is uphill. I've tried googling ideas, and nothing.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to do DIY seating for uphill?

We'd considered doing some cute blankets in our colors for almost a picnic look (which would work with our quirky kind of "fun" wedding theme), but we've got some older family members...we don't want them to be uncomfortable.

Any ideas?

If the spot requires your guests (presumably people whose comfort you care about) to walk uphill and sit on the ground, then it is NOT in fact the "perfect" spot.  The perfect spot is one where the venue is able to provide a comfortable space (i.e. not too hot, too cold, too wet, too hilly, etc.) for all of your guests (not just the old ones) to be seated (in a chair - no one should be on the ground).  Find a new place.
  • Every person planning an outdoor wedding is going to have to have issues with whether the place is too hot, too cold, too wet, too hilly (etc.).... if that's the case then there is no such thing as a perfect location for an outdoor wedding. And yet people use that term regardless.

It's perfect because of how it looks and how it feels... not the issue that come along with it. That's what I'm trying to figure out. 

Perhaps I should have explained that part... or used a different word. Sorry. 

I definitely see what you're all saying about sitting on the ground, can't believe I didn't think of that. smh!

We'd also looked into haybales, which we weren't fans of. 

And a friend had mentioned some ideas about building chairs with "special" legs that sit against the hill so the chairs are still level and no one is rocking away... it's kind of hard to explain. I guess it's like a chair where the backlegs are shorter to compensate for the angle of the hill??? He'd made them for some outdoor concert he'd went to with his wife and buddies. Totally out of my ability to make though, lol.

Just to clarify, no one would need to walk uphill... there are steps along the side of the hill. And the hill has a REALLY shallow incline.

We'd already scrapped a beach location (again because of seating...didn't want people's chairs sinking into the sand lol)

I was just wondering if anyone had any ideas before we scrapped the location and looked elsewhere. 

The place is visually perfect! But if it isn't possible logistically then I'm not going to try to force it.

Thanks!!
  • You're right that every place will have issues. I felt guilty about the fact that I chose a venue that's a long drive for our guests and it's in the winter. However, I think that outdoor weddings can be done well if you have back-up indoor plans for weather and have a suitable place for everyone to sit. The problem is that a hill isn't really a suitable place. The incline will be uncomfortable no matter how you work it out because bodies aren't meant to be leaning back like that. It's also a safety concern because what if someone's chair tips back and they fall over?

Do you have a photo of this so we can see how steep the incline is?
  • I'm 35, and I don't want to sit on a blanket on the ground to watch a wedding. I can't imagine asking my relatives in their 60s, 70s and 80s to do that. Yes, no outdoor ceremony spot is perfect. But you need to find a spot where you can have chairs for every single person attending. 
  • Sorry but this spot is not perfect.  Sitting on blankets is not an appropriate solution.  Would you want to sit on a hill, in a dress, on a blanket?  I am thinking that your answer is a big fat nope.

• I have a lot of questions....and I'm glad to see you're not willing to force this place to work if you can't find a way to comfortably seat your guests.

Assuming this place has been used for weddings before, what did they do?  What is their back up plan for inclement weather?  Do they have alternate ways to transport guests per ADA guidelines?
  • Every person planning an outdoor wedding is going to have to have issues with whether the place is too hot, too cold, too wet, too hilly (etc.).... if that's the case then there is no such thing as a perfect location for an outdoor wedding. And yet people use that term regardless.

It's perfect because of how it looks and how it feels... not the issue that come along with it. That's what I'm trying to figure out. 

Perhaps I should have explained that part... or used a different word. Sorry. 

I definitely see what you're all saying about sitting on the ground, can't believe I didn't think of that. smh!

We'd also looked into haybales, which we weren't fans of. 

And a friend had mentioned some ideas about building chairs with "special" legs that sit against the hill so the chairs are still level and no one is rocking away... it's kind of hard to explain. I guess it's like a chair where the backlegs are shorter to compensate for the angle of the hill??? He'd made them for some outdoor concert he'd went to with his wife and buddies. Totally out of my ability to make though, lol.

Just to clarify, no one would need to walk uphill... there are steps along the side of the hill. And the hill has a REALLY shallow incline.

We'd already scrapped a beach location (again because of seating...didn't want people's chairs sinking into the sand lol)

I was just wondering if anyone had any ideas before we scrapped the location and looked elsewhere. 

The place is visually perfect! But if it isn't possible logistically then I'm not going to try to force it.

Thanks!!
    Don't make special chairs.  That would just be a waste of your time and money.  And if specialty made chairs are needed for your incline then just say no to the location.  Or at least no to that specific spot at that location.  Glad to see you nixed the hay bales because those are not comfortable to sit on (even wrapped in fabric), people can have hay allergies, and they can be full of critters and even dead animals that got caught up in the hay bale machine.

Honestly the beach location would have been better because that is flat (typically).  Will chairs sink a bit when people sit in them?  Yes, but everyone expects and understands that.

• I only know of one other couple using that place, and they used haybales. All I could think of was someone getting poked with a stray piece of hay... and hearing about possible dead animals in them, made me really glad that we decided not to go that route.

I have no clue what the other couple's plan was for bad weather, I didn't go to their wedding... I just knew someone who did.

I don't have a picture of the hill, but as soon as I get one I'll post a pic. 

We've got other places that we still have to look at, this was just the second place we visited. I was just trying to get a visual and an idea of how to work it before we moved onto the next site.

I think I've kind of got some weird form of rose colored glasses on for this place. Like seeing a pair of size 6 shoes and wishing I can smash my monster feet in them. Lol.
  • btw, thanks for the opinions!!!
  • So you're thinking "Stadium Seating" or "Amphitheater seating"...  Break down to the basic elements of "what is it about this location" that makes it ideal in your eyes once the rose glasses get ripped off of you.  It's not ideal if you're asking any guest above the age of 4 to climb up a hill to sit on the grass (I'm more concerned about ants/bug bites than I am about getting scratched from a bail of hay personally!). 

That said - what about renting out the theater/amphitheater at a local school?  Many school districts/communities/universities/colleges/tech schools do have these types of spaces that you can rent out for a fee plus security/janitor and include the basics.  You wouldn't have to worry about your guests' comfort as much and seating is taken care of for you.  The restroom situation would be worked out, typically they have an in case of weather back-up option that you can reserve as well, etc.  It's something to think about as another option. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards