Destination Weddings Discussions

Wedding Details

My Fi and I are planning a Valentine's Day destination wedding for February of 2016 :-) Just wanted to see if any other DW brides had any good advice for fun extras for the guests or the reception. We are currently doing welcome bags, full open bar, and possibly trying to plan for a day after brunch. I feel with DW there is even more pressure to have a great experience for the guests since they travelled so far to make it and I'd appreciate any input as to fun ideas/ what went over well/ things no one really cared about so don't worry about it, etc.

Re: Wedding Details

• My Fi and I are planning a Valentine's Day destination wedding for February of 2016 :-) Just wanted to see if any other DW brides had any good advice for fun extras for the guests or the reception. We are currently doing welcome bags, full open bar, and possibly trying to plan for a day after brunch. I feel with DW there is even more pressure to have a great experience for the guests since they travelled so far to make it and I'd appreciate any input as to fun ideas/ what went over well/ things no one really cared about so don't worry about it, etc.

Where are you looking at??  We also did welcome bags and so optional events if people wanted to get together.  Big thing is host properly - chairs for everyone, open (not cash) bar, meal.  Honestly, I'd expect a meal for a DW, and not cake/punch reception.  

• The wedding is in Maui! Hmm, optional events are a good idea. We are doing a letter with the welcome bags to lay out the itinerary/events. Any advice on how to word hosted vs. non-hosted events so it is clear what we will be taking care of? And yes, we are definitely doing a full meal! Cake and punch is lovely, but not so much when everyone has flown at least 8 hours to get there  :-)  

• snowywintersnowywinter member
    5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited October 2015
    Mine isn't a DW really, but people are still traveling quite a bit to get there. We're doing welcome bags, cocktail hour, plated 5-course meal, and full open bar. We're thinking about ornaments for favors (Christmas wedding) and a morning-after brunch as well. It's going to be at a resort in the mountains, so we're thinking about lift tickets or a ski/snow shoe lesson, depending on how many RSVP yes.

In your case, if something like that is in the budget (surfing lesson or excursion of some sort), I think it would be lovely. If it's not, obviously, don't do it. But it would be a nice "extra."
  • We did a separate card in our welcome bags, and listed events on our website.  We listed everything as optional, come if you'd like events.  Many were obviously free, like meeting for a beach day.   The one we paid for was snorkel rentals at Haunama Bay, and we specifically stated that we would cover snorkelling rentals for anyone who joined us, so that made it obvious that we were hosting that part.  

If you're looking for something special, we didn't have a dance, cos we lost amplified music after 9pm (hotel guests and outdoor wedding), so we hired a Polynesian group to come in and do some entertainment instead.  They had an emcee, several musicians and several dancers.  They also finished it off with a fire knife dance.  A lot of our guests decided to skip going to a luau after that, and several hotel guests (not wedding guests) watched from their balcony and thanked us after for the free show.  One said they saw the stage, ran out for sushi and wine and enjoyed the show.  

• That's so cool! Maybe we will look into what entertainment besides music we could have. Seems like it would make the night really special/ unique!

We were also thinking about making all of the wedding party and parents gifts an experience gift so that we get to spend some one-on-one time with everyone and try something new! The only thing with the wedding party is trying to pick something everyone will equally enjoy, but I'm sure we can just talk to everyone and feel out what they are most excited about.

What are you guys putting in your welcome bags?

• In ours, we're stuffing the bags with hot chocolate, tea, a candle with the scent of the season, candy canes, maple syrup candy, chocolate, and a miniature bottle of Bailey's Irish Cream. If we decide to do lift tickets or ski/snowshoe lessons, then we'll put those in the bag too. Also, we might end up doing baskets instead of bags. We'll see.
  • WinstonsGirlWinstonsGirl member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited October 2015
    Ours had welcome letters/itineraries, sample packs from the Honolulu Cookie Company, chocolate covered macadamia nuts, regular macadamia nuts, and beach mats, all in a bag they could use for the beach.  For the kids, we also included pails and shovels and inflatable mats for the teens.  We hit up the ABC stores when we got there.  

We also did an experience for our WP as their gift.  We had 1 MOH and 1 BM, so we took them and their spouses to the North Shore for a shark dive in the morning and surfing lessons in the afternoon.  My MOH loves the ocean and if a wildlife biologist, so she was in heaven.  

ETA - we also put in maps and some coupons

• I am planning my dw in Aruba next may. Did u send save the date cards or engagement announcements? This is a second wedding for both of us and we r hopeful a few friends n family members may be able to make the trip...
  • I am planning my dw in Aruba next may. Did u send save the date cards or engagement announcements? This is a second wedding for both of us and we r hopeful a few friends n family members may be able to make the trip...
    Just FYI, engagement announcements aren't a thing that should ever be sent.

• CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited October 2015
    Ditto Viczaesar.   Engagement announcements are NEVER sent in the mail!
    You may send out STDs to the people whom you are absolutely certain that you will invite to your wedding.  Be very clear that this wedding will be in Aruba!  You then send out formal invitations to everyone who received an STD about 8 weeks from your wedding.  Be prepared for a lot of declines.  You will probably hear from a lot of people by word of mouth that they are, or aren't coming, but an STD does not require a response.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • WinstonsGirl and Snowy thanks for all the ideas, both your welcome baskets sound awesome!! Good call with the ABC store, they always have the best stuff.

Re the Aruba wedding, I think you are fine with just a STD. We just sent out our official invites, but we already are 95% sure of the guest list because most of the people making the trip are people we talk to at least weekly and everyone kept us posted when the bought tickets. Similarly, the declines usually let us know as soon as they were sure that a trip to Hawaii just wasn't feasible for them.    

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards