Attire & Accessories Forum
Options

Adding crystal to wedding dress

Hello everyone, 

I recently purchased a custom Liancarlo gown. I chose to go with lace, but I am still hoping to add some swarovski crystals. I plan to have my seamstress sew them on. Does anyone have any experience with something like this? Before and after photos?

Here is the lace I chose. Sorry it is a bit difficult to see. 

Thanks in advance for any help!

Re: Adding crystal to wedding dress

• Options
    I think that is a beautiful dress, and adding crystals will look tacky like someone went at it with a bedazzler. What about a necklace?
  • Options
    I think that is a beautiful dress, and adding crystals will look tacky like someone went at it with a bedazzler. What about a necklace?
    I agree with this.  You could always add a blingy belt if you really feel the need for some sparkles, but I really hate the idea of scattering crystals all over the place.

• Options
    Do either of you have experience with before and after of adding swarovski crystal?

I'm not so much into "blingy" belts as I feel like it's been done over and over. 

Thanks for the input ladies!
  • Options
    It's a beautiful dress. And I'm guessing cost a pretty penny and you probably shouldn't risk ruining it.

I am a seamstress, and i have to say that if you choose to do this (even tho I'm another vote for blingy jewelry or belt) that you need to find a seamstress that specializes in bridal/formal/prom wear and is experienced with beading and maybe even show you examples of his/her work. Crystal beading, if done incorrectly will look like theres bits of fishing line attached to the beads and depending on how stretchy and fragile that lace is could cause, well stretching and tears in the fabric. Done correctly it will probably cost you around half what you paid for the dress (i guess depending on how many crystals you want, and where you live). It is certainly tedious work.

Im curious why you didn't get one with crystals on it to begin with? It would certainly have saved you both time and money.
  • Options
    Thanks for your advice! That was extremely helpful :)

I'm not set on adding crystals or not. 

I bought this particular dress because I love the shape and the lace. I just always imagined having some sort of sparkle. 

Again, thanks for your help :)
  • Options
    I'd be very careful about adding anything to the dress and if it's something you really need to do have a professional do it for you. But in my opinion a blingy belt or statement necklace would be much, much better.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards