Getting in Shape

Muscle or Cardio....

My wedding dress came in a couple weeks ago and I had my initial fitting for the dress on Friday. It fit well and I am genuinely happy with everything, except it was a little snug around my chest area. The owner of the bridal salon came up to me to see how everything fit, and told me to stop doing cardio. If I want to work out, I need to do situps. She said Cardio will make my chest get too big to fit into the dress...

....is her statement accurate? Should I stop doing cardio and stick with only muscle building? My cardio is usually just walking, but I will toss in some running from time to time. 

If her statement is true, what am I supposed to do to burn upper body fat? (chest and tummy specifically)

Re: Muscle or Cardio....

• Im not an expert. and I'm still a work in progress myself...

There is no such thing as targeting an area for fat loss. Cardio burns calories, and if you burn more than you intake, = weight loss. Strength training tones, and also burns calories. Keep working hard at the gym, and watch what you eat and you'll start to drop lbs. 

SO much easier said than done, though. best of luck!! xx
  • How in the world would cardio make your chest bigger?  Sorry but the owner sounds crazy.  I would ignore her.

Generally cardio and weight lifting will burn calories and if you burn more then you ingest then you will lose weight, thus causing you to lose inches, thus reducing your chest/back size.  But you also have to remember that you are shaped a certain way and no amount of losing weight will decrease your overall skeletal frame.

Just keep doing what you are doing to stay fit and healthy.  If the dress is still slightly snug in the chest area then your seamstress will just have to let it out a little in that area.  No biggie.

• alhaley88alhaley88 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited October 2015
    That's what I thought! I was flabbergasted when she said to stop doing cardio because it will make my chest bigger. I understand perhaps because of increased lung capacity...but even that would not make my over all chest area bigger....thanks for confirming my initial thoughts! 

Edit: I can't type this early in the morning....must. have. coffee
  • I have never heard of cardio making your chest bigger.
    Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • The salon owner is full of BS.

Do both cardio AND muscle building. Having both will be most effective.
                                     Wedding Countdown Ticker

• C525 said:
    Im not an expert. and I'm still a work in progress myself...

There is no such thing as targeting an area for fat loss. Cardio burns calories, and if you burn more than you intake, = weight loss. Strength training tones, and also burns calories. Keep working hard at the gym, and watch what you eat and you'll start to drop lbs. 

SO much easier said than done, though. best of luck!! xx
    This.  Both Cardio and weight training will burn calories, and in order to avoid hitting a plateau you should be doing both several times a week.  And the other key to weight loss is that you have to expend more calories than you ingest.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• Gosh I wish it worked that way LOL... Another vote for the salon owner being BSC...
  • Cardio does not make your chest bigger.  If you are looking to lose an inch or two, you need to look at what you're eating.  Exercise will not help you lose weight (though if you're toning with strength based exercise, you may lose inches, which is different).  And as others have mentioned, you can't spot train.  If you do lose weight, it will come off from all parts of your body.  Good luck

• I have literally never heard of cardio causing your chest to become bigger. Cardio usually just burns calories, fat, etc. Very strange..
  • Um, no, cardio will not make your chest bigger.
    A good combination of cardio, weight training, and a balanced diet will definitely help you lose pounds and inches.
    The only thing you may want to watch out for are exercises that will build up the muscles in your chest and mid back (think pecs and lats) as building these muscles right now could counteract any inches lost from fat in those areas.
  • cardio and overall calorie reduction makes you lose fat/get smaller everywhere, she doesn't know what she's talking about. Weightlifting, especially bench and overhead press, pushups/pullups could potentially make your chest bigger but it takes a TON of work to add an inch. 
  • That is very bizarre that she would say that! I've never heard of cardio making your chest bigger.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards