Registry and Gift Forum
Options

Texas wedding, moving to England

Hi! I'm wondering what to do about registering.
My fiancé is English and I will be moving to England after our wedding in May. And we will eventually move back to the states in a few years permenantly.

Does anyone have advice on what to do for the registry? All appliances will require a plug adapter and I don't want to have to ship boxes of bath towels let alone China and silverware.

A friend suggested Amazon gift cards. Any ideas?

Re: Texas wedding, moving to England

• Options
    LondonLisaLondonLisa member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited October 2015
    It is really rude to register for gift cards. Plus Anazon US gift vouchers don't work in the US. If I were in your shoes, I wouldn't register. People will know to give you cash. But if you don't registeter that means no showers. You could create a small registry and pay for extra luggage on your flight for light things: sheets, towels, picture frames, kitchen utensils, cutlery, etc.

Otherwise, if it is just a few years, you can store your china, maybe at your parents' house.
  • Options
    It is really rude to register for gift cards. Plus Anazon US gift vouchers don't work in the US. If I were in your shoes, I wouldn't register. People will know to give you cash. But if you don't registeter that means no showers. You could create a small registry and pay for extra luggage on your flight for light things: sheets, towels, picture frames, kitchen utensils, cutlery, etc. Otherwise, if it is just a few years, you can store your china, maybe at your parents' house.
    I think you meant do not work in the UK.

And LondonLisa is correct.  That goes for most VISA, MC and AMEX gift cards too.

Ditto everything else she said too.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    Hi! I'm wondering what to do about registering. My fiancé is English and I will be moving to England after our wedding in May. And we will eventually move back to the states in a few years permenantly. Does anyone have advice on what to do for the registry? All appliances will require a plug adapter and I don't want to have to ship boxes of bath towels let alone China and silverware. A friend suggested Amazon gift cards. Any ideas?
    If you don't want "Stuff", don't register for stuff.  If you do want a few things like new bedding and a picture frame, register for that.  If you don't want stuff, you forego a shower.  You cannot have a shower of giftcards.  If you want stuff and you can store it in the states until you get back, feel free to register for All The Things.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards