Destination Weddings Discussions

Destination Locations - Caribbean versus Mexico

Hello

My fiancé and I want to have a destination wedding but don't know where to start. We want to have it in March so need to pick a location ASAP. We're hoping for around 100 people and want a place that doesn't feel too commercial but don't want costs to get too high. I've heard good things about Tulum Mexico and Jamaica but am having trouble know where to look for venues. Any suggestions would be super helpful.

Thank you!!!

Re: Destination Locations - Caribbean versus Mexico

• I can't help with a specific locations, but do want to point out a few things:

1. Not even having a destination picked in mid-October for a destination wedding in March is not a lot of time (and possibly borderline inconsiderate) for the 100 people you're expecting to be able to coordinate time off work and save up hundreds, if not thousands of dollars in airfare and hotel to join you.  That, above all else, is probably going to be the biggest, most limiting factor.  And for those who don't already have a passport, it generally takes about six weeks just for that, and could possibly take up to 12 weeks depending on surges in applications or cutbacks in government, etc.

2. Have you looked into the actual requirements to legally get married in these locations you are considering?  That is probably going to be the second most limiting factor in deciding where you get married.  Many locations have vastly different requirements, such as a residency requirement dictating you need to be in the country anywhere from 24 hours to 7 days before they will issue the marriage license, blood tests, physical examinations, requirements to have certain documents officially translated and notarized and in some cases submitted up to a month in advance, etc.  That all takes time and money.  Are those conditions you're able to meet (and coordinate with a few months)?  I would start looking at those first.

• Legal requirements for marriage in Mexico can be difficult.  You must have examinations and x-rays by a local Mexican doctor prior to their issuing a marriage license.
    Destination weddings, especially out of the country, work best for small weddings.  Your guests will need passports as well as paying expensive airfare to attend your out-of-the-country wedding.  You might consider U.S. Virgin Islands (Lyndausvi is from there) or Puerto Rico.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Most destination wedding locations are chosen because the couple or one of the families is somehow tied to the location (but obviously don't live there because then it's not a DW). For example, we got married in Australia as I have strong ties to the South Pacific. We are also avid travelers and we eloped, so we didn't impact any guests with our decision.

Have you spoken with your VIP guests about their attendance? I would get the people "you just cannot get married without" to weigh in on their thoughts on location. Some of them may not want to get a passport, so you'll need to think of something within the US territories. Some may not want to travel at all! You'll also need to understand their budgets so you can choose a location that works for them.

Also, be prepared for a very high decline rate, so if you really want a large number of the 100 invitees to attend, then I would reconsider choosing something closer to where the bulk of the guests are from. Also, places like Cancun/Riviera Maya, Jamaica, and the Dominican are the most cost effective for your guests. they will be spending a couple thousand on this trip, so be mindful of trying to keep costs low for your guests.

• We are planning a destination wedding Oct 2016 and plan to have it in Mexico Playa del Carmen for a few reasons:

1. we have been there previously and loved it

2.most ppl can get there either direct (fly into cancun) or 1 layover

3. inexpensive for guests to attend

On the timing comments knowing that it has taken me a month just to decipher on a specific resort as well as locate a travel agent and coordinate block booking information 5 months will be tight but if its what you want I am sure those important will be there but I do suggest being decisive as it will help narrowing the location/resort etc.

• We are planning a destination wedding Oct 2016 and plan to have it in Mexico Playa del Carmen for a few reasons:

1. we have been there previously and loved it

2.most ppl can get there either direct (fly into cancun) or 1 layover

3. inexpensive for guests to attend

On the timing comments knowing that it has taken me a month just to decipher on a specific resort as well as locate a travel agent and coordinate block booking information 5 months will be tight but if its what you want I am sure those important will be there but I do suggest being decisive as it will help narrowing the location/resort etc.

Good luck planning your wedding.  Do be careful about the Mexican legal requirements, though.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards