Outdoor Weddings

It might be too cold for our wedding! What to do?!

13»

Re: It might be too cold for our wedding! What to do?!

• Oh for the love of coco puffs.  I am getting so freaking sick of these Fall outdoor ceremonies.  

It is of course anyone's right to get married in any season they want, although I'm finding Fall weddings really cliché lately. (Oooh, a September/October wedding so that you can get pretty leaves and crisp air?  That's nothing like the last 17 of 20 weddings FI and I have been to in the past 3 years that have also been scheduled in the Fall!)  

And I love a good outdoor ceremony, ASSUMING that the weather cooperates--FI and I had one ourselves, although it was in July and we had a solid Plan B.

But these two trends just do not go together.  They just don't.  Yes, Fall has some beautiful days.  It also has many 50 degree sleety stinkers.  If you and FI want to take pictures outside with all the pretty leaves, go for it.  But don't subject your guests to the harsh elements involuntarily.

OP, heat the barn.  PLEASE.  For the comfort of your guests (and to save yourself from being the butt of whose-attended-the-worst-wedding contests for years to come), just do it.
    While this particular poster is doing wrong by her guests by not getting heaters, your post is not exclusive to fall weddings. Summer weddings can be just as miserable, if not more so. You got married in July and I can only speak for myself, but I'd much rather attend an outdoor wedding in October than in July. I just can't stand the heat and the hottest month of the year is not a good outdoor wedding month, in my opinion.
    July is more uncomfortable than October if you're in Texas maybe. Up north not so much. I got married in New England at 5:30 in the evening. It was 74 degrees and cloudy when we had our wedding ceremony. I can assure you nobody was too hot. If it had been over 80 (or even over 75 and muggy), we would have moved the ceremony into our air-conditioned venue. But the weather cooperated, so we didn't. And I focused on Fall weddings in my post because Fall weddings are very trendy right now, and I've seen several posters on this board (and attended several weddings) where couples have attempted to pull off an outdoor ceremony in the Fall. It is rarely comfortable.
    I was born and raised in Boston. I have been and always will be hesitant about attending outdoor weddings in July. It's one of those things where I'd have to make the call after seeing the weather report, but since you can't do that for weddings, I always decline unless you're a family member or close friend. Sorry, July is intolerable to me most days.

• Oh for the love of coco puffs.  I am getting so freaking sick of these Fall outdoor ceremonies.  

It is of course anyone's right to get married in any season they want, although I'm finding Fall weddings really cliché lately. (Oooh, a September/October wedding so that you can get pretty leaves and crisp air?  That's nothing like the last 17 of 20 weddings FI and I have been to in the past 3 years that have also been scheduled in the Fall!)  

And I love a good outdoor ceremony, ASSUMING that the weather cooperates--FI and I had one ourselves, although it was in July and we had a solid Plan B.

But these two trends just do not go together.  They just don't.  Yes, Fall has some beautiful days.  It also has many 50 degree sleety stinkers.  If you and FI want to take pictures outside with all the pretty leaves, go for it.  But don't subject your guests to the harsh elements involuntarily.

OP, heat the barn.  PLEASE.  For the comfort of your guests (and to save yourself from being the butt of whose-attended-the-worst-wedding contests for years to come), just do it.

While this particular poster is doing wrong by her guests by not getting heaters, your post is not exclusive to fall weddings. Summer weddings can be just as miserable, if not more so. You got married in July and I can only speak for myself, but I'd much rather attend an outdoor wedding in October than in July. I just can't stand the heat and the hottest month of the year is not a good outdoor wedding month, in my opinion.
    July is more uncomfortable than October if you're in Texas maybe. Up north not so much. I got married in New England at 5:30 in the evening. It was 74 degrees and cloudy when we had our wedding ceremony. I can assure you nobody was too hot. If it had been over 80 (or even over 75 and muggy), we would have moved the ceremony into our air-conditioned venue. But the weather cooperated, so we didn't.

And I focused on Fall weddings in my post because Fall weddings are very trendy right now, and I've seen several posters on this board (and attended several weddings) where couples have attempted to pull off an outdoor ceremony in the Fall. It is rarely comfortable.

I was born and raised in Boston. I have been and always will be hesitant about attending outdoor weddings in July. It's one of those things where I'd have to make the call after seeing the weather report, but since you can't do that for weddings, I always decline unless you're a family member or close friend. Sorry, July is intolerable to me most days.

And that's fine. You're entitled to do that. But if you seriously find July so intolerable that you would decline an event without even knowing what the weather is going to be like, and without even bothering to ask your friend if they have a Plan B for inclement weather (or trusting that they will host you well), then (1) presumably you are also declining the numerous barbecues, trips to the Cape, and 4th of July fireworks viewings that the rest of us New Englanders are participating in during that time, and (2) you are on the extreme end of a bell curve and should probably not be shitting on people's weddings on an outdoor wedding board.

July is more uncomfortable than October if you're in Texas maybe. Up north not so much. I got married in New England at 5:30 in the evening. It was 74 degrees and cloudy when we had our wedding ceremony. I can assure you nobody was too hot. If it had been over 80 (or even over 75 and muggy), we would have moved the ceremony into our air-conditioned venue. But the weather cooperated, so we didn't. And I focused on Fall weddings in my post because Fall weddings are very trendy right now, and I've seen several posters on this board (and attended several weddings) where couples have attempted to pull off an outdoor ceremony in the Fall. It is rarely comfortable.
    And that's fine. You're entitled to do that. But if you seriously find July so intolerable that you would decline an event without even knowing what the weather is going to be like, and without even bothering to ask your friend if they have a Plan B for inclement weather (or trusting that they will host you well), then (1) presumably you are also declining the numerous barbecues, trips to the Cape, and 4th of July fireworks viewings that the rest of us New Englanders are participating in during that time, and (2) you are on the extreme end of a bell curve and should probably not be shitting on people's weddings on an outdoor wedding board.
    Not the same.  I can wear daisy dukes and a bikini top to a backyard barbeque and pour a gallon of ice water over my head in order to be comfortable and cool.  Not necessarily the same for most weddings.
  • adk19 said:
    Oh for the love of coco puffs.  I am getting so freaking sick of these Fall outdoor ceremonies.  

Not the same.  I can wear daisy dukes and a bikini top to a backyard barbeque and pour a gallon of ice water over my head in order to be comfortable and cool.  Not necessarily the same for most weddings.

It's not that hard to find a wedding-appropriate cocktail dress that's relatively cool--short sleeveless dresses are all over the place at most non-winter weddings, indoor or outdoor.  Most weddings with an outdoor component are not going to require a floor-length velvet gown.  (I do have more sympathy for guys at warm weddings, who are often stuck in suits or at the very least shirts and ties.)  But even so, it goes back to my point about proper hosting and this poster just assuming that any July wedding with an outdoor component is going to be uncomfortable for her because it won't be properly hosted.  Hosting is tailored for the specific event being hosted.  If I'm hosting a July barbecue or beach trip and it's 85 degrees out, I'm not cancelling it and we'll happily be outside, because the attire you mentioned would be appropriate and the nature of the event is to enjoy the warm weather.  If it had been 85 degrees when my wedding took place, we would have moved our ceremony inside in a minute.

You HAVE to decline without knowing the weather report. It's not like you can make the call on the day of or the day before. People need RSVPs back before then. And it has nothing to do with inclement weather when people such as you think July is beautiful. For me, it's too hot (and hate to break it to you, but many people feel that way about anything over 70-75 degrees). As for the rest of your post, no I don't decline those things because (a) I can wear shorts and a tank and sandals to a barbecue and (b) the Cape has BEACHES, where one can cool off (I was never one to sunbathe for this very reason) and (c) I don't care much about fireworks, but if it's a cool day, I may go. Again, I can make the decision the DAY OF, which you can't do for a wedding.

And finally, I'm not "shitting" on anyone's wedding. I'm giving MY opinion, which I am allowed to do, just like you did, "shitting" on fall weddings.
  • adk19 said:
    Oh for the love of coco puffs.  I am getting so freaking sick of these Fall outdoor ceremonies.  

It's not that hard to find a wedding-appropriate cocktail dress that's relatively cool--short sleeveless dresses are all over the place at most non-winter weddings, indoor or outdoor.  Most weddings with an outdoor component are not going to require a floor-length velvet gown.  (I do have more sympathy for guys at warm weddings, who are often stuck in suits or at the very least shirts and ties.)  But even so, it goes back to my point about proper hosting and this poster just assuming that any July wedding with an outdoor component is going to be uncomfortable for her because it won't be properly hosted.  Hosting is tailored for the specific event being hosted.  If I'm hosting a July barbecue or beach trip and it's 85 degrees out, I'm not cancelling it and we'll happily be outside, because the attire you mentioned would be appropriate and the nature of the event is to enjoy the warm weather.  If it had been 85 degrees when my wedding took place, we would have moved our ceremony inside in a minute.
    Anyone choosing to have a July outdoor ceremony is wanting to take advantage of the sun/heat. To me, those things are not fun, so yes, I will decline. Not sure why that gets you so worked up. It's not like I was invited to/declined your wedding LOL
  • OMG cyber bullies really do suck!!  To the OP I feel for ya, for the cyber bullies...well you saw this coming!!!!

• Telling people they need heaters for a venue that has no heat when it will be 45 degrees outside is not bullying.     The OP even asked us what should she do.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • LondonLisaLondonLisa member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited October 2015
    OMG cyber bullies really do suck!!  To the OP I feel for ya, for the cyber bullies...well you saw this coming!!!!

• Last night I was outside at a fire pit. I was wearing a big fisherman's sweater that was a turtleneck with a long sleeved shirt underneath. I'm in Virginia, and it was in the 50s, and I was still cold.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • AddieCake said:
    Last night I was outside at a fire pit. I was wearing a big fisherman's sweater that was a turtleneck with a long sleeved shirt underneath. I'm in Virginia, and it was in the 50s, and I was still cold.

Thank goodness it wasn't 70 degrees!  Think of how hot you would have been.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards