Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Accidental Invite..... oh well! The more the merrier!

On Monday I brought my STDs with me to work so I could stuff the envelopes and send them out over lunch. I had them sitting on the desk when K walked in to say hello. K is a very sweet lady who comes into our plant periodically to conduct training and team-building exercises. We always have a few nice chats when she's in town.

Back on topic.... She came in to say hello and saw the STD on my desk and commented on how pretty they were. I hand her one to look at (we've discussed the wedding in passing before) and she took it to mean I was giving her the STD. Thankfully, I don't think she realized I was a bit confused for a second. I just went ahead and got her address so I can send K & her husband an invite.

I think we both made etiquette faux pas. Mine was showing her the STD and hers was assuming the STD was for her. Thankfully I had a few extras, so I still have enough for my OOT VIPs. Honestly, if she decides to come, it will be nice having her there. I don't think there will be any problems with her easily getting along with my other guests. Mistakes happen, but at least I was able to roll with it this time and not cause either one of us to be embarrassed.
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Accidental Invite..... oh well! The more the merrier!

• Options
    Ditto, Miley.

OP, I'm glad you're able to roll with the punches and be flexible, but please stop talking about your wedding or doing wedding related things at work, especially if you aren't planning to invite them. A friend of mine spent a great deal of time discussing their wedding at work and it had resulted in more than a few misunderstandings and some hurt feelings or awkwardness that could have been easily avoided.
  • Options
    This is a good example of why wedding details should only be discussed with people who are actually invited (exceptions being vendors and others who have an actual stake in the wedding-and us ;-) ). When you discuss them with other people, it can cause confusion as to who is invited or otherwise involved in the wedding, which in turn can generate hurt feelings and other unintended consequences.
  • Options
    Love your attitude on how you are handling this!!! Being able to deal with this so well, will help make your wedding planning process so much easier
  • Options
    Jen4948 said:
    This is a good example of why wedding details should only be discussed with people who are actually invited (exceptions being vendors and others who have an actual stake in the wedding-and us ;-) ). When you discuss them with other people, it can cause confusion as to who is invited or otherwise involved in the wedding, which in turn can generate hurt feelings and other unintended consequences.
    Yes. Lesson learned :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I agree with the other posters. Work isn't the place to do lots of wedding things. Keep repeating that you're keeping the wedding small.

This woman in my office is getting married in December. Yesterday she called me into her office to help her decide on the design for the welcome bags. I noticed she has multiple email conversations going about the wedding through her work email. No joke. She keeps showing me wedding things, and asking for my opinion (I've also helped her picked out her clutch purse). And I'm not even invited! Seriously.

I'm ranting, but I'm also making the point that unless you plan to invite people, don't do wedding stuff at work.
  • Options
    I invited very few people from my office and pretty much only discussed my wedding at work when asked. And I always made sure to work in that it was going to be a small wedding (which it was) so no one expected to be invited. There were no problems either way.

I don't think most coworkers who ask about a wedding actually assume they'll be invited, but it's best to be on the safe side, because sometimes people can be presumptuous. Keep the wedding out of your office and do these projects at home.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards