Chit Chat

appropriate dinner for sick neighbor?

Long story short, our lovely neighbor had a heart attack on Sunday night.  Fortunately, DH was there and able to get to the hospital where she had surgery and is now recovering well.  She comes home tomorrow.  My go to when someone is sick is to make a dish of baked ziti.  I was going to put one together tonight for her and her husband.  Considering it was a heart attack, is a heavy meal like ziti poor form?

Re: appropriate dinner for sick neighbor?

• I'm currently having cardiac issues and my cardiologist put me on a heart healthy diet. I was on one previously when I had heart surgery. Googling "heart healthy diet" yields some good results. It  depends on what the ziti contains as to whether it will be good, but I would personally limit heavy foods with whole milk cheeses and any type of fatty meats (if it has ground hamburger), at least for now.

• That is very thoughtful of you. I don't think it would be poor form, but she may have been given dietary restrictions from her doctor while she was in the hospital. I know my grandfather had some after his heart attack a couple of years ago.

Maybe you could try something like homemade chicken noodle soup? It is lighter and is also very easy to make.

• I vote chicken soup. I would stay away from anything high in saturated fat (like ziti with all the cheese).
    *********************************************************************************

• Another vote for chicken noodle soup.  Maybe with some yummy corn bread or a nice loaf of crusty bread.

• Another vote for a soup.

Not to gross people out, but heart patients who have just had an MI need to keep from getting constipated, because straining could cause problems with the Vagus nerve, which can affect her heart rate and other things. So, unless she's fluid restricted, I vote soup...protein in the chicken for healing.  Or you could do a veggie soup, which is a source of fiber.

Watch the sodium though.
  • Soup would be good.  If you go to heart.org, they have lots of recipes, but for now, considering she also had surgery, I would avoid anything with dairy, red meat, or refined/processed and stick with lean meats and whole grains.  Also make sure if you make soup, you are using low sodium stock and not adding any additional salt.  In addition to low fat, she's likely also on a sodium restricted diet.

Although, personally, I would just call and ask what restrictions she has.  Or, in something like this that likely has profound dietary changes for them that they are still learning and coping with, I would maybe offer to do things around the house instead or run errands for them like doing a grocery store run or yard work.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards