Outdoor Weddings

Being a good host - notifying guest it will be held outdoors

I would love to notify guests that our wedding will be outside and with that we will have to go with the flow. We plan on having a tent, but the ceremony area will be untented, so we will have to have a plan B should the weather not cooperate.
The event will not be casual, but we want to remind the girls that they will be on grass the whole night, so may want to pick their shoes wisely.

I have seen poems that state the above in cute ways - of course Im not able to find them now.

Any suggestions???

Re: Being a good host - notifying guest it will be held outdoors

• I would love to notify guests that our wedding will be outside and with that we will have to go with the flow. We plan on having a tent, but the ceremony area will be untented, so we will have to have a plan B should the weather not cooperate.
    The event will not be casual, but we want to remind the girls that they will be on grass the whole night, so may want to pick their shoes wisely.

I have seen poems that state the above in cute ways - of course Im not able to find them now.

Any suggestions???

I'm assuming that you will notify people on the invites where your ceremony will be held. Most people will be able to infer that it is outdoors. 

That being said, you will still have chairs for everyone? Right? Because your OP is not very clear. Also, if your reception is tented, why are you not getting a floor? Every outdoor reception that I have attended has had a floor in the tent. 

Cutesy poems are for children not adults, do not do this.
  • Being a good host means taking your guests comfort into the utmost consideration. What time of year are you having this outdoor event? Where do you live? I hope you're not expecting your guests to show in suits and cocktail dresses only to be sweating all night, or freezing their butts off. 

IMO, poems are cheesy. Spread by word of mouth that the event will be on the grass, and post it on your wedding website if you have one. 

• I would love to notify guests that our wedding will be outside and with that we will have to go with the flow. We plan on having a tent, but the ceremony area will be untented, so we will have to have a plan B should the weather not cooperate.

Any suggestions???

I'm assuming that you will notify people on the invites where your ceremony will be held. Most people will be able to infer that it is outdoors. 

That being said, you will still have chairs for everyone? Right? Because your OP is not very clear. Also, if your reception is tented, why are you not getting a floor? Every outdoor reception that I have attended has had a floor in the tent. 

Cutesy poems are for children not adults, do not do this.
    I have been to some receptions where the only floor in the tent was the dance floor.  It was only an issue when I didn't know about it and I was in heels.  But when I knew about it I wore the appropriate footwear.

OP I would definitely spread the fact that the majority of your wedding will be on grass.  And as long as you have the appropriate back up plan in case of inclement whether and the ability to cool down or warm up the tent then you should be fine.

• I don't think you need a cute poem for this.  For mine, the parking area was gravel, and the ceremony was in a grassy garden area, with reception in a barn with wood floors and handicap accessiblity.  So, on my wedding website I just put a note about the flooring/ground types in each area, and another few notes like how the barn was heated and cooled.  

I didn't tell people what they could wear whatsoever, but most people can responsibly dress themselves if you give them a heads up about what to expect ahead of time.
    Married 9.12.15
  • Whatever you do, skip the poem. Just tell people what they need to know without the riddle.

On your wedding website, just say "Ceremony and reception will be held outdoors on grass. In case of inclement weather, ceremony will be held....."

But your plan B should be more than just a tent. What if it's super muddy from rain the day before/early that day? What if it's cold/too hot? What if the bugs are terrible? What if it's super humid? There's more than just rain to consider.
    *********************************************************************************

• Do not assume anything!  Wedding guests are notorious for not reading your wedding website or invitation inserts. Tell them point blank anything that they need to know. If they ignore you and wear heals on the grass there is nothing you can do about it.  Your coordinator is responsible for the rain location.  Just find out where it is before the big day and see if you can decorate it or have a plan on how to make it look presentable when given 25 minutes warning that you are going to need it.

• This is serious information, so communicate it to your guests in a serious way. Do not try to be "cute" and don't do it in a poem.

I agree with mentioning the surfaces you'll be on and that you'll be out of doors. And definitely have a Plan B that takes not just rain but wind, cold, heat, bugs, humidity. and other elements that your guests could be exposed to into consideration.
  • edited November 2015
    T19103 said:
    Do not assume anything!  Wedding guests are notorious for not reading your wedding website or invitation inserts. Tell them point blank anything that they need to know. If they ignore you and wear heals on the grass there is nothing you can do about it.  Your coordinator is responsible for the rain location.  Just find out where it is before the big day and see if you can decorate it or have a plan on how to make it look presentable when given 25 minutes warning that you are going to need it.

How can you seriously make a statement like this? You've got to be joking. Unless you've polled thousands of wedding guests...
  • T19103 said:
    Do not assume anything!  Wedding guests are notorious for not reading your wedding website or invitation inserts. Tell them point blank anything that they need to know. If they ignore you and wear heals on the grass there is nothing you can do about it.  Your coordinator is responsible for the rain location.  Just find out where it is before the big day and see if you can decorate it or have a plan on how to make it look presentable when given 25 minutes warning that you are going to need it.

If the guests don't read anything as you claim, what's the point in "telling them point blank"?
  • Wow other commenters have very forceful opinions lol. How about posting this on your wedding website:

Attire: Informal/semicasual (whatever yours is). Please note that our venue is on the grass. We encourage you to wear whatever footwear you find agreeable, including sandals, booties, and wedges, and discourage stiletto heels. Comfort is key!

• Gutted, I didn't realise at first this was a zombie thread so I thought @mileybangerz was back for a second. I always liked when she dropped in to give a crazy comment 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards