Pennsylvania-Pittsburgh

Cutting down Common Please catering costs?

Hello!

My venue requires Common Plea catering, but I've added up the costs and it's crazy! 120 people with booze, hors d'oeuvres and a buffet will be ~$24K when you add on all of the fees. That's my entire budget!!

Does anybody have suggestions on how to cut down costs with them? I've considered eliminating the passed hors d'oeuvres and only having stationed cheese/cracker/veggies ones. Also - going down to the lowest alcohol package (my guests will have to live with Coors Light).

Has anybody gone through this before? OR does anybody know if it's possible to like...haggle down costs? LOL I'm willing to try anything!!

Thanks in advance! 

Re: Cutting down Common Please catering costs?

• I've not worked with that catering company, but when I have had to work with caterers for showers etc., I have given them a budget per person, and asked them to price something out.

Eliminating passed hors d'oeuvres is a great way to cut costs, as the caterer will not need to pay as many people during that hour.  I've also been to events where it is the normal hors d'oeuvres, but they are just set up on a station.

Is your alcohol budget consumption or per person?  If it is per person,  I would suggest closing the bar during dinner and reopening it for dessert, and closing the bar before the reception ends.  We have been able to cut down our per head by almost $15 by closing the bar during our meal and an hour before the reception ends.

I'd also recommend negotiating your photo package, flowers and entertainment package.  You may be able to open your budget up a little more by decreasing your costs there.
  • Thanks for the advice! This is a super delayed response, but I was able to cut down costs a bit by trimming down the passed hors' doeuvres and accounting for the under 21 guests. It's not a lot, but it'll do. 

Thanks for your response!! :)
  • Glad to hear you were able to trim things down!  Don't be afraid to discuss your budget with your vendors.  They can give you alternatives or price out something for you.

On a side note, try to watch out for unexpected costs.  One of my BM is getting married soon, and she ordered these beautifully ornate invitations that basically looked like folders with a pocket for everything.  Turns out they are too heavy for regular postage, so she is now paying close to an extra $100 for postage.  Not the end of the world, but definitely a bit annoying.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards