Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions

Gift for my daughter on my wedding day

I am getting married next summer and want to give my daughter a special gift just from me. She is from a previous relationship and her dad has never been involved. I met my fiancé when she was 4 (she is 9 now) and because of how their relationship has grown he is going to adopt her after our wedding. On my wedding day I want to give my daughter something that symbolizes the start of a new life, but also something that reminds her how special she is to me. I would really appreciate ANY ideas. :)

Re: Gift for my daughter on my wedding day

• I am getting married next summer and want to give my daughter a special gift just from me. She is from a previous relationship and her dad has never been involved. I met my fiancé when she was 4 (she is 9 now) and because of how their relationship has grown he is going to adopt her after our wedding. On my wedding day I want to give my daughter something that symbolizes the start of a new life, but also something that reminds her how special she is to me. I would really appreciate ANY ideas. :)

Just get her something that you would normally give her on her birthday.
  • I adore that idea. Thank you!
  • Even though your FI is going to adopt your daughter, she isn't marrying him and has no say over your relationship with him, and they will become related simply by virtue of your marriage to him, so to be honest, I don't see why you need to give your daughter a gift at all on your wedding day unless she is going to be in your wedding as a bridesmaid or flower girl. 

That said, if you're going to do this, I would give her whatever you would give her as a nice birthday or Christmas gift.  The presentation of the gift should take place in private and not as part of the wedding ceremony.
  • It's truly a shame to know that's how you feel about children who are coming into a new marriage. I believe it's a special day for her as well. It's the beginning of a new life and the gaining of a father. She is a part of this day. She doesn't have the ultimate say in the relationship, but her opinion is important. Children are not an extra in a new marriage, they are apart of it. I'm actually disgusted with your response and find it very rude. The point of this discussion was to help with ideas on a gift, not to get opinions or judgement on my decision. Perhaps you should think about what you say before you post it.
  • It's truly a shame to know that's how you feel about children who are coming into a new marriage. I believe it's a special day for her as well. It's the beginning of a new life and the gaining of a father. She is a part of this day. She doesn't have the ultimate say in the relationship, but her opinion is important. Children are not an extra in a new marriage, they are apart of it. I'm actually disgusted with your response and find it very rude. The point of this discussion was to help with ideas on a gift, not to get opinions or judgement on my decision. Perhaps you should think about what you say before you post it.

With all due respect, you're posting on the world wide web, my dear. People can respond however they want and they have all kinds of opinions. Ignore the stuff you don't like and take the stuff you do like.

Anyway, what about getting something engraved with her name? Like a necklace or a bracelet?
    *********************************************************************************

• Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited November 2015

It's truly a shame to know that's how you feel about children who are coming into a new marriage. I believe it's a special day for her as well. It's the beginning of a new life and the gaining of a father. She is a part of this day. She doesn't have the ultimate say in the relationship, but her opinion is important. Children are not an extra in a new marriage, they are apart of it. I'm actually disgusted with your response and find it very rude. The point of this discussion was to help with ideas on a gift, not to get opinions or judgement on my decision. Perhaps you should think about what you say before you post it.

Sorrynotsorry, but I'm just as disgusted by your ideas that because you have started a thread you get to control what gets posted in it, or other people's opinions for that matter, simply because your child is involved, and that it is "rude" to have a different opinion from you. You don't have any right to control what others think or post, and by posting in a public forum, the rest of the world is entitled to comment on any aspect of your post, whether you asked for it or not. Nor is it "rude" to have a different opinion from you on the matter.
  • I agree with PP, shop for her like its her birthday. I also dislike involving children in things they cannot consent to, so just give her the same type of gift you would for another occasion.
  • I think the idea of a pearl necklace is great. 

I'm not sure where the OP said she was involving her daughter in the ceremony or vows. There's no need to jump all over her. She said she wanted to give her daughter a gift to signify the day and to remind her of how special she is. 
    No one "jumped all over her."  We merely suggested that this isn't necessary, but if she wanted to do it, to not make it part of the ceremony.  She didn't have to say that she was doing this as part of the ceremony for anyone to advise her not to.
  • Jen4948 said:
    I think the idea of a pearl necklace is great. 

I'm not sure where the OP said she was involving her daughter in the ceremony or vows. There's no need to jump all over her. She said she wanted to give her daughter a gift to signify the day and to remind her of how special she is. 
    No one "jumped all over her."  We merely suggested that this isn't necessary, but if she wanted to do it, to not make it part of the ceremony.  She didn't have to say that she was doing this as part of the ceremony for anyone to advise her not to.
    You were snarky and you know it. At least own it. 
    I was not snarky, so there's nothing for me to "own" here.  Expressing disagreement =/= "being snarky."
  • I love the idea of the pearls.  If you do the add a pearl idea, one day your daughter will have a family treasure to pass down to the next generation.
  • I agree with all the pp's who suggested a nice piece of jewelry that your daughter can wear for years to come. It's a nice idea to give her something that represents this new stage in both of your lives. Pearls and charm bracelets are great ideas. I would also suggest a nice jewelry box or locket. Congrats on your engagement! 
  • What about a pendent with your & her birthstone? Or if you want to go with pearl, one that has two pearls on it, maybe even one that is bigger and one that is smaller. The two pearls would represent the two of you always together.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards