Honeymoon Discussions

Honeymoon Suggestions? Please, NOT Mexico!

Hi everyone! Thanks for taking a peek at this. :)

My fiance and I need to begin planning our honeymoon and we know that we want a beach vacation, probably in the Caribbean (for the short travel, we're in FL) at an adults-only resort where we can relax on the beach/by the pool but also be able to do excursions if we feel motivated. We do NOT want to go to Mexico and we have already been to St. Thomas and Aruba (which is fantastic, if you're considering it). We're thinking maybe Turks & Caicos or Antigua? But we're also wondering about BVI, St. Kitts, and St. Lucia. We want to go someplace that neither of us has been to and can explore together.

Also, we love food and plan to not worry about ANY dieting that week!

If anyone has any tips/recommendations, they would be greatly appreciated...thanks!

P.S. We are very open to topless sunbathing. ;)

Re: Honeymoon Suggestions? Please, NOT Mexico!

• What is your budget and when are you going?

If you want adults only, you will be limited to certain islands that offer that type of thing. Turks doesn't really offer AIs. St. Lucia and Antigua do, but they are mostly Sandals properties. St. Lucia has a few that aren't Sandals. You'll find most of your adults only AIs in the Dominican or Jamaica if you are looking for Sandals alternatives.

• We just went on a cruise and our favorite stop was St. Lucia. There's a national park called Pigeon Island with acreage to hike and explore, and old forts with old cannons with the most stunning views. It was actually right next door to Sandals and now we definitely want to go stay there. My friend just stayed there for her honeymoon and it was about 6k for a week from Boston.

My honeymoon was at Swept Away in Negril and it was great, I loved it. About the same price.

• ak1112ak1112 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited October 2015
    Anguilla doesn't have any all inclusive resorts that  I'm aware of but it quickly became one of my favorite places on earth. 
    Lots of restaurants - all of the beaches are perfection - some nightlife. 

We stayed at the Frangipani- not adult only, but I didn't see any kids there when we stayed. 
  • lyndausvilyndausvi mod
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited October 2015
    I love the BVI's.  They can be a little pricey, but all the resorts are fairly small.   Not sure which ones are adults only, but being small, kids are not generally an issue unless you are there during school breaks.   They do not have any total AI, most of them just have some food packages, but alcohol is extra.      

Check out Scrub Island, Bitter Island, Peter Island to name a few.  If want a little adventure try Sandcastle on Jost Van Dyke.   Seriously one of my favorite islands in the world.  Favorite beach bar too!   Check out their bar:

I like CuisinArt resort in Anguilla, actually going there in a few weeks.   Not adult-only, but I didn't find it to be overrun with kids (it's not a school break when we are there).    

St  Martin has some topless beaches and some nice resorts too.  Sadly I've never stayed at one of the resorts as I was always on a boat.  

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Thanks so much to all of you! Sorry I didn't respond sooner, I wasn't getting email notifications that people had commented for some reason.

Our budget is around $6,000. I tried to estimate and include excursions and tipping and meals, etc. I'm seeing airfare as less than I expected since we're closer and can fly out of MIA but I'm over-budgeting on that just in case...more money for fun later! :)

Thank you again! I'm going to do some more research into St. Lucia and BVI. Jamaica is a possibility too. Definitely want alternatives to Sandals, although we're not ruling them out completely.
  • FWIW, my sister and her husband have been to Sandals in both St. Lucia and Antigua and they just loved both experiences :) 

• Thanks, I am looking at the Sandals in St. Lucia right now!
  • I just got back from my honeymoon at Sandals La Toc in St Lucia- feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

Long story short- we LOVED it, and I highly recommend St. Lucia/Sandals
  • I know after much research (both myself and my SO work in the travel industry) we decided on Catalonia Royal Bavaro - All Inclusive - Adults Only in Punta Cana in the Dominican Republic. 

We had a budget similar to yours and chose this location for many reasons:

- All Inclusive

- Food! While this property has five restaurants, you also have use of all the restaurants of the sister property which is nine additional restaurants. 14 places to eat was right up our alley. They also offer 24 hour room service included in the all inclusive rate. 

- Private Pool. We wanted our room to either have a private pool or swim up pool. This was one of the few places that had a truly private pool (if you book the Exclusive Suite Swimming Pool)

Our total was right around 3400 for six nights! 

***part of this property are topless, so if that offends this isn't the place.
  • I'd go to Spain. I don't think we went to a beach anywhere on the cost that didn't have topless sunbathers. It's just kind of the norm. I have no idea about adult only resorts though. Barcelona is totally gorgeous. Highly recommend.
    *********************************************************************************

• St. Lucia has a lot of great resorts that are both Adult-Only and All-Inclusive.  Rendezvous and The Body Holiday are both phenomenal resorts that are a great alternative to the Sandals Resorts on the island. In Jamaica the Couples Resorts are wonderful and include a lot of excursions that are included in your all-inclusive rate. In Antigua, Galley Bay is a wonderful option that is also both Adult-Only and All-Inclusive and would work with your budget!

• Thank you all for the help, we really appreciate it! Still working on it but I think we are leaning towards St. Lucia. I want to lock it in soon! :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards