Wedding Invitations & Paper

Save the Dates- Tacky or not?

So my FI has taken it upon himself to do the STD, invites and website.  Great!

He wants to do fridge magnets...with photo... Frankly, I couldn't use a fridge magnet, and neither could a fair number of our guests.  Plus, I don't want my face stuck on someone's fridge for several months.... I've always thought of the magnets as a waste of money/borderline tacky...

Personally, I would prefer just doing a post card.  It's way cheaper and still does the job.

What are everyone's thoughts on magnets? Am I making a mountain out of a molehill?

Thanks!

Re: Save the Dates- Tacky or not?

• VicTim328 said:

He wants to do fridge magnets...with photo... Frankly, I couldn't use a fridge magnet, and neither could a fair number of our guests.  Plus, I don't want my face stuck on someone's fridge for several months.... I've always thought of the magnets as a waste of money/borderline tacky...

Personally, I would prefer just doing a post card.  It's way cheaper and still does the job.

What are everyone's thoughts on magnets? Am I making a mountain out of a molehill?

Thanks!

Yes.  The purpose of a save-the-date, in whatever form, is simply to ask people to save that date, to be followed by an invitation, whether it is on postcards, magnets, or other means. 
  • VicTim328 said:

Thanks!

Yes.  No one gives that much thought to magnet STDs.  They will either put them on their fridge or not.    And seeing as how STDs are not a requirement then I think you should just let your FI design them however he wants, because in the grand scheme of things (think about the entire wedding and all the things that go into it) they are not very memorable.

• I put STDs on my fridge, whether they are magnets or not. So what's the difference if it's a postcard or a magnet? Whether it has your pic or not? I think you're making a big deal of a a small detail. 

• Girl I better see my save the date on EVERY guest's fridge if I am invited to their home between now and the wedding, or there will be hell to pay! *snaps fingers*

Seriously though, lol, I love putting my friends' wedding crap on my fridge. The non-magnet ones usually make their way to the trash, but the magnet ones are still holding strong 3-4 years later. 

Don't overthink it. Roll with it!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I hate magnets but it's not a hill I'd die on. FH and I agreed on post cards.
  • We did magnets, but not with our picture. Even if you send me a postcard with a picture, your face is still getting stuck on my fridge b/c that's where I'm going to put it.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • I put STDs on my fridge, whether they are magnets or not. So what's the difference if it's a postcard or a magnet? Whether it has your pic or not? I think you're making a big deal of a a small detail. 
    This is my same thought. I'm probably going to do magnets because they always end up on my fridge, but just do whatever you want to.
  • We wound up with postcards instead of magnets, the only big drawback with the magnet is you only get to use one side, and it can be hard to fit all the neccessary info (I had a hard time finding space for the wedding website). But ultimately, as long as FI's STD choice includes all the necessary info, I would let him have this one; if he can make some decisions about the fun stuff now he'll feel a lot more invested in the boring or difficult decisions that come up down the line. Sorry if I'm preachy.
  • Magnets may be overdone, but they certainly aren't tacky. (Seriously, our garage fridge is the magnet home. It has about 15 STD magnets on it from weddings dating back to 2002.)

I probably would pick the picture issue over the magnet issue if I were you. Feeling self conscious about my face in everyone's kitchen would annoy me more than the magnet itself. But really, neither is a hill to die on.
  • FI and I ended up doing completely customized postcards, thanks to the good people of Etsy. I agree with @ladyinthewhitedress that postcards allowed all the info we wanted to be included. Also, 75% of our cats were showcased, and they're very, very good looking.

We weren't able to find magnets that we liked, and most stainless fridges aren't magnetic anymore anyway, so the added cost of the magnets didn't make much sense to us.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards