Attire & Accessories Forum
Options

California outdoors. Suit vs Tux

A couple things are clashing with my attire decision so I could use some help.

1. Our venue is Carmel Valley, CA in a scenic winery/ranch. Outdoor, early evening.

2. My thoughts (and available rental choice) is a medium gray wedding suit from Men's Warehouse.

3. My fiance's dress is nearer the formal end of the spectrum vs simple

I know I could pull off the gray suit with some really nice brown leather shoes being that it's an outdoor wedding and it's more my style. However, I know that you should compliment the bride. The bridesmaids will be in blush. I'm okay with getting a darker gray tux if she wants it but I don't think it'll fit as well with the venue and I like the brown shoes difference.

Cheers

Re: California outdoors. Suit vs Tux

• Options
    Maggie0829Maggie0829 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited November 2015
    What do YOU want to wear?  Because this is your wedding just as much as the brides so you should be able to wear whatever attire you want.  So if that is a suit, then that is what you should wear.

But in regards to the info provided, for an outdoor ceremony, I vote a nice suit. 

• Options
    I agree with PP, wear what you want but my vote would be on the suite. 
  • Options
    Wear what YOU want - it doesn't even need to be a rental (price it out, sometimes the rental is more expensive!)..  Nothing says you have to be "matchy matchy" - you're the groom, wear what you want for the day in the color(s) of your choice (within reason of course)... 
  • Options
    CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited November 2015

A couple things are clashing with my attire decision so I
    could use some help.

1. Our venue is Carmel Valley, CA in a scenic winery/ranch.
    Outdoor, early evening.

2. My thoughts (and available rental choice) is a medium
    gray wedding suit from Men's Warehouse.

3. My fiance's dress is nearer the formal end of the
    spectrum vs simple

I know I could pull off the gray suit with some really nice
    brown leather shoes being that it's an outdoor wedding and it's more my style.
    However, I know that you should compliment the bride. The bridesmaids will be
    in blush. I'm okay with getting a darker gray tux if she wants it but I don't
    think it'll fit as well with the venue and I like the brown shoes difference.

Cheers

Tuxedos are black, and they are worn with black shoes only. Yes, I know you can rent other colors, but they are fads, and I don't like them. I do remember the pastel blue polyester "tuxedos" of the 1970s.
    Here is an excellent guide for men's formal wear. This is a very large site with a lot of good information.
    http://www.blacktieguide.com/Contemporary/Contemp_Tuxedos.htm

I have never heard of a "wedding suit" so I am suspicious. A suit can be two or three pieces, and the vest, if any, should match the suit fabric. It can be grey, charcoal, navy, or even black. You can buy one cheaper than rental. I suggest looking for sales at Kohl's, J.C. Penneys, Macy's, etc.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Options
    Thanks everybody. I do have a gray suit of my own but keeping with style/cut and vest I figured it be best to spend the money on the latest (hopefully timeless) look.
    The groomsmen will have nice light silver (not too shiney) neckties and I'm thinking about having a silver/white bow tie to differentiate myself along with the boutonniere. I'm about 6'3" so I figure I can handle a bow tie for a little while. Thoughts?
  • Options
    There is really no such thing as a "timeless" suit. Fashions do change. Your idea sounds fine.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards