Outdoor Weddings

Timeline Suggestions Please.

Hey there,

My outdoor wedding will be June 11th, and the ceremony and reception are at the same place. Just curious on the time line. Ceremony starts at 3pm. I'm planning on having a cocktail hour from 3:30-4:30, but unsure what time is acceptable to start dinner, dances, ect. Any input is appreciated.

Re: Timeline Suggestions Please.

• Well dinner should start pretty much right after cocktail hour is over with.  If you want, you could do as H and I did and after we were introduced we had our spotlight dances (first, mother/son, father/daughter) which took up at the most 15 minutes and that is including introductions.  Then we went straight into dinner.  Are you doing a cake cutting?  Bouquet/garter toss?

So this is what I am guesstimating for your reception

4:30-4:45 - Introductions and spotlight dances
    4:45-6:30(?) - Dinner, toasts, and table visits 
    6:30 - Cake cutting
    6:35-6:45 - Tosses (you probably won't need a full ten minutes but better to be safe then sorry
    6:45-end - Party!

• Here's what I'd do:

3-3:30 - ceremony
    3:30-4 - receiving line
    4-5 - cocktail hour
    5:00 - introductions and first dances
    5:20 - toasts
    5:30 - dinner
    7:00 - cake cutting
    7:15 - dancing and party
    *********************************************************************************

• Thanks ladies!

We are planning on the spotlight dances, but on the fence with the garter toss and the bouquet toss.

Really wanted a good idea for the timeline, as its outside and I don't want my guests suffering for a ridiculous amount of time in June. With nothing to do while waiting on me. I mean, snacks and drinks only go so far.

Thanks again!

• Thanks ladies!

We are planning on the spotlight dances, but on the fence with the garter toss and the bouquet toss.

Really wanted a good idea for the timeline, as its outside and I don't want my guests suffering for a ridiculous amount of time in June. With nothing to do while waiting on me. I mean, snacks and drinks only go so far.

Thanks again!

They should not be suffering at all. If they are, you did it wrong. They should have sufficient food and drink for the time of day, a chair for every butt, and proper heating/cooling for time of year. This means that your outdoor wedding becomes and indoor wedding if it's colder than 65 degrees or warmer than 80 degrees.
  • My apologies, I meant suffering of boredom. Personally I can only handle so long being in the (There's a side eye here. .) elements. Plenty of food, drinks, chairs, and a back up indoor venue in case of inclement weather. I'm hoping my bases are covered in that aspect.

I was more so referring to the down time, and trying to avoid an unnecessary time gap.

• My apologies, I meant suffering of boredom. Personally I can only handle so long being in the (There's a side eye here. .) elements. Plenty of food, drinks, chairs, and a back up indoor venue in case of inclement weather. I'm hoping my bases are covered in that aspect.

I was more so referring to the down time, and trying to avoid an unnecessary time gap.

Make sure you give your photographer a list of photos you need to have. And have a firm timeline that you need to be back by X time to start the reception. You're paying them, not the other way around. You need to spend time with your guests, not getting gussied up with more and more photos. There won't be a gap if you don't allow it.
  • I don't think anyone will be bored for an hour of food and drinks, TBH. Since your ceremony and reception are at the same place this probably won't be as much of an issue, but my ceremony ran long and cocktail hour started late, so just keep that in mind or discuss with your venue if you think this could be a problem.

This was our timeline:
    3-4 Ceremony/Receiving Line
    4:15-5:00 Cocktail Hour
    5:05-5:15 Introductions and first dance
    5:30 - Light dancing and mingling (got to every table in this time before dinner!)
    6:00 Dinner
    6:30 Father/daughter dance, dancing!!
    7:30 Cake Cutting
    9:00 Reception ending

Our photographers left 8:30 and the videographer left at 9.

Agree w/ PP, have your photographer know all the photos you want so they can arrange to work within your timeline. We got everything we wanted and didn't leave our guests hanging while we posed for photos.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards