Knottie Tech Help

Improving Community Navigation

KnotHollyKnotHolly admin
First Comment First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer
edited January 2016 in Knottie Tech Help
Hi Knotties,

As part of The Knot's initiative to improve members' Community experiences, we want your feedback!

What changes can we make to improve your experience navigating to the Community and around it? We have some improvements on the way, including reorganizing the layout of the boards so they’re easier to view (don’t worry - we’ll be sure to give you a heads-up before any change is made). We are also planning on changing the name of the “Community” tab in the top navigation bar to “Forums,” as we think this will make the function of Community more clear to new members.  

If you have any suggestions, please share them in this thread. We truly value your input in helping us make the Community the best it can be!

Thank you,
KH

Re: Improving Community Navigation

• Hi @OliveOilsMom,

That's a great suggestion and definitely something that would be helpful for all members. We're going to bring this up with our tech team to see if we can get this function added. Thank you for sharing! 

• It's hard to find the Cultural and Local Wedding Boards because there's no link to them on the Community home page.  So I would suggest putting links to those two groups on the Community home page.

Also, on mobile, it is necessary to manually add <I>, <b>, and so on when you want to italicize, bold text, etc., because if you click Quote, it puts in the HTML codes.  This can make editing quoted text really hard.  Please offer the same options for mobile text that you do on the regular site.

• It would be helpful to have a search feature within specific boards.  For example if I want to search photographers on my local forum there are several steps to narrow down the search to the local board. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @Jen4948 Improving visibility on our Cultural and Local boards is an excellent idea and something we certainly want to make happen as we reorganize the layout of the boards. Thank you for letting us know that's something you'd like to see! We will keep you updated on board reorganization as it progresses. 

We also understand that the mobile text issue you mentioned can be frustrating. This is something we are looking into, and hoping to find a way to improve it. 

@laurad75 Thank you for this idea about making the search function more efficient. We are going to check in with our team to see if searching within boards is a possibility. 
  • KnotHolly said:
    @Jen4948 Improving visibility on our Cultural and Local boards is an excellent idea and something we certainly want to make happen as we reorganize the layout of the boards. Thank you for letting us know that's something you'd like to see! We will keep you updated on board reorganization as it progresses. 

We also understand that the mobile text issue you mentioned can be frustrating. This is something we are looking into, and hoping to find a way to improve it. 

Thanks @KnotHolly.  One other thing: Since so many people, despite all the notices in the Reception Ideas folder about using the local boards to make requests for information about local venues, still post there, why not place a notice on the Community home page that such requests should be posted on the Local boards rather than the main Community boards?  It might be helpful to mention there that the main boards are international.
  • Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited September 2015
    Also: Consider combining the Maids and Moms and Wedding Party folders and the Wedding 911 and Wedding Woes folders.
  • Jen4948 said:
    Also: Consider combining the Maids and Moms and Wedding Party folders and the Wedding 911 and Wedding Woes folders.
    No - Please don't do this.

Once upon a time it was the MOB and MOG board. We had a nice group of regular moms, step-moms and brides that interacted on the MOB/MOG board. I'd like to see it changed back. 

• Jen4948 said:
    No - Please don't do this.

Once upon a time it was the MOB and MOG board. We had a nice group of regular moms, step-moms and brides that interacted on the MOB/MOG board. I'd like to see it changed back. 

The reason I suggested it is simply because those two pairs of boards have similar content about similar issues.  There's no reason that the regular moms, stepmoms, and brides couldn't do the same on a combined board.  There are just too many boards for similar issues, some of which get lots of posts and some of which get many fewer.  It can also allow for new boards to be created about other issues that might arise.
  • Jen4948 - I understand your point, and agree that we don't need two similar boards. The MOG/MOB dealt with mother/bride issues. The Wedding Party board dealt with issues concerning bms/ MOH/ gm/BM etc... They were 2 distincly different boards.  

• I don't think the Wedding Woes board should be combined with anything.    That board is a small community within the larger community.  It has a group of regs on there that don't just post about wedding woes.  In fact when I do lurk over there rarely do I see actual wedding woe stories from posters but rather most threads and topics are by the small group of regs that frequent that board. So combining that board with anything else will most likely just piss off a bunch of posters rather then really do anything constructive.

• Hi all,

This is some great feedback! We won't combine any boards that already have their own community in it, one thing we would consider (and we'll obviously ask the Wedding Woes board about this, and get their feedback/opinions) is changing the name of Wedding Woes to something else. However, we do see the distinction between Wedding 911 (urgent wedding emergencies) and Wedding Woes (struggling with the whole wedding planning process and needing a place to vent), so changing those boards might not even be necessary. 

@MairePoppy I know you've mentioned this to us before, but I do think changing Moms and Maids to a MOB & MOG board would make more sense since we have a wedding party board and when we do the board re-organization we would definitely consider changing that board's name to make it more distinct. 

This has all been very helpful so far, so if you all think of anything else please let us know!!
  • KnotRiley said:
    Hi all,

This is some great feedback! We won't combine any boards that already have their own community in it, one thing we would consider (and we'll obviously ask the Wedding Woes board about this, and get their feedback/opinions) is changing the name of Wedding Woes to something else. However, we do see the distinction between Wedding 911 (urgent wedding emergencies) and Wedding Woes (struggling with the whole wedding planning process and needing a place to vent), so changing those boards might not even be necessary. 

@MairePoppy I know you've mentioned this to us before, but I do think changing Moms and Maids to a MOB & MOG board would make more sense since we have a wedding party board and when we do the board re-organization we would definitely consider changing that board's name to make it more distinct. 

This has all been very helpful so far, so if you all think of anything else please let us know!!
    I would change the Wedding Woes board name to reflect that it doesn't seem to deal with wedding woes but is certain members' own private forum that doesn't deal with wedding-related matters.
  • KnotRiley said:

Jen4948 said:

KnotRiley said:

Hi all,

I would change the Wedding Woes board name to reflect that it doesn't seem to deal with wedding woes but is certain members' own private forum that doesn't deal with wedding-related matters.

We don't find that totally necessary because when members do come on asking for genuine advice, we've seen that they try to help out how they can, and in between that time they post their own threads. We don't see anything wrong with that, just like we see local boards posting about what everyone's doing that day or a club board asking each other "how's life." 

There already is a Chit Chat board with such postings, so that's why I think renaming the Wedding Woes board, especially because most of what gets posted there is about Dear Prudence columns rather than wedding-related matters, would be helpful.
  • KnotRiley said:
    Jen4948 said:
    KnotRiley said:
    Hi all,

We don't find that totally necessary because when members do come on asking for genuine advice, we've seen that they try to help out how they can, and in between that time they post their own threads. We don't see anything wrong with that, just like we see local boards posting about what everyone's doing that day or a club board asking each other "how's life." 
    I agree. the WW regulars do offer advice to other posters and non-WW regs also post there. I don't see how the WW board is any different than any other quiet board or board with regulars except that WW is both. NBD. 
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • The only thing I have to say is that I really don't like to see nasty posts where people are cursing at each other and being antagonistic. It sometimes keeps me away from looking and participating more, I can only imagine how the poor poster must feel!  IMO, if people can't be nice they should be gone.
  • doclago said:
    The only thing I have to say is that I really don't like to see nasty posts where people are cursing at each other and being antagonistic. It sometimes keeps me away from looking and participating more, I can only imagine how the poor poster must feel!  IMO, if people can't be nice they should be gone.
    We really appreciate that feedback. This is definitely something we take very seriously and actively work to address daily. For the purposes of this thread, we'd like to focus on suggestions for improvement regarding navigating the Community, rather than its content. Thank you!
  • doclago said:
    The only thing I have to say is that I really don't like to see nasty posts where people are cursing at each other and being antagonistic. It sometimes keeps me away from looking and participating more, I can only imagine how the poor poster must feel!  IMO, if people can't be nice they should be gone.
    Unfortunately, this isn't preschool. 
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • I would say remove the "reply" option at the bottom of posts or else make it where it @ replies the person. People tend to click that button thinking it will @ reply, when really all it does is take you down to the "Leave a Reply" box. I know I've done it before and I have seen others do it too!

• Thank you for the great suggestion @becklertobe! We are going to look into options for making the wording of that button more clear, and to see if we can add automatic @ replies when you click it. 
  • I know this thread has been around for a while, but something I've been thinking could improve navigation would be to put some kind of automatic refresh in the Wedding Boards screens.  As it is now, in order to refresh that in your own computer, you have to click "Community" which takes you back out to the Community home page.  Once you're there, you see the links to the main folders, but not to the Wedding Boards screens that can tell you if any threads in those folders have been updated recently.  Also, it could be helpful to have a refresh inside threads themselves, so people don't have to go outside a thread to see if it's been updated.
  • Jen4948 said:
    I know this thread has been around for a while, but something I've been thinking could improve navigation would be to put some kind of automatic refresh in the Wedding Boards screens.  As it is now, in order to refresh that in your own computer, you have to click "Community" which takes you back out to the Community home page.  Once you're there, you see the links to the main folders, but not to the Wedding Boards screens that can tell you if any threads in those folders have been updated recently.  Also, it could be helpful to have a refresh inside threads themselves, so people don't have to go outside a thread to see if it's been updated.
    Doesn't hitting F5 auto refresh whatever page you're on?

• Jen4948 said:

I know this thread has been around for a while, but something I've been thinking could improve navigation would be to put some kind of automatic refresh in the Wedding Boards screens.  As it is now, in order to refresh that in your own computer, you have to click "Community" which takes you back out to the Community home page.  Once you're there, you see the links to the main folders, but not to the Wedding Boards screens that can tell you if any threads in those folders have been updated recently.  Also, it could be helpful to have a refresh inside threads themselves, so people don't have to go outside a thread to see if it's been updated.

Doesn't hitting F5 auto refresh whatever page you're on?

Not on mobile.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards