Wedding Photography and Videography Forum

GoPro

Does anyone have one? Are they worth purchasing? Do they take good photos besides the video? I have. Canon Dslr but don't want to lug that around on our honeymoon. I'm a picture fanatic.
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: GoPro

• I just used an older one to try out!  I really like it, but I can see how the newer version will be easier to use.  It takes great video and pictures and you can even take stills from videos.  I like that you can get a waterproof case.  The Hyatt that we are staying at in Hawaii just started charging a resort fee (which we won't have to pay fortunately) but included in the fee is gopro rentals.  

I'm using the gopro for my wedding to capture video.  It's easy to connect them to anything and they are small.  We also have a Canon DSLR but this is such a nice addition to our camera collection.
  • @klk111415 thanks for the info. I also have a Canon with tons of different lenses but didn't want to lug all that.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We have a Sony Action Cam, their version of a GoPro, and my techy DH loves it. Does everything a GoPro does for a fraction of the price, and after seeing side by side comparisons of pics and video off each we agreed the Action Cam took better pics and videos all around. They were less blurry in general, less distorted around the edges and it did WAY better in dim lighting and under water.
  • We have a Sony Action Cam, their version of a GoPro, and my techy DH loves it. Does everything a GoPro does for a fraction of the price, and after seeing side by side comparisons of pics and video off each we agreed the Action Cam took better pics and videos all around. They were less blurry in general, less distorted around the edges and it did WAY better in dim lighting and under water.

Do you have any pics or video using that and which one do you have, if you don't mind me asking?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Sorry this took so long to respond. I knot from mobile exclusively so I don't get notifications.

We have the HDR-AS20 I think. I will have to ask my DH for pic or video since he has them saved on his computer. We haven't gone on the trip we got it for yet, so it will be boring stuff like our house when we were testing it out and putting it through it's paces.

Check out this video that did some really thorough tests. The low light test, detail test, beautiful scenery test and Christmas light test really show the better picture of the Action Cam that sold us on it. His test used the model right before ours (15 instead of 20), but ours performed just as well if not better.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DlUUq7ARJRU

We have the underwater case and the camcorder attachment the guy in the video mentions. The LCD screen is sooooo worth it. We have noticed the accessories for the Action Cam go on sale more than for the go pro. Go pro has a lot more options for accessories, but we don't need that stuff.

In the end, we are using it more as a sturdy camera and stationary video or just walking, and for underwater in the ocean. We aren't using the "Action" part as much, so better picture quality and true color were the most important to us. We didn't want to spend a ton of money for something we would mainly use for vacations, so price was a major factor for us too.
  • ChelleJayneChelleJayne member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited September 2015
    klk111415 said:

I'm using the gopro for my wedding to capture video.  It's easy to connect them to anything and they are small.  We also have a Canon DSLR but this is such a nice addition to our camera collection.

How did this turn out? I've been looking for a videographer, but FI has a GoPro and if we can use that, it would save money.

Wedding Countdown Ticker Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I haven't tried it yet.  We get married on 11/14/15.  I need to find a gopro camera to rent first.  The reason I was going to get video was because my grandparents weren't going to make it, but it turns out they will be coming, so now I might just have someone use my camera to get the whole thing.  My fiancé did that for my friend's wedding and although not perfect, it still came out nice! 

We really want to put the gopro camera on a stick so people can pass it around all night.  They make much less expensive ones which I might opt for.  They seem to be of similar quality.

I'll let you know how it goes!

• Just an update, I used a gopro in my bouquet and a bridesmaid used hers throughout the reception.  I'm happy we got some videos of everyone dancing!  The gopro worked really well! 
  • Did you record the whole wedding from a distance or just from your bouquet? I'm glad it worked out well :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Ahh I really want to put a gopro in my bouquet too!! I  was looking for other ideas on Pinterest and found this cool wedding video giveaway that includes rental gopros: 
    http://www.storymixmedia.com/weddingmix/blog/2015/11/gopro-wedding-video-giveaway/
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards