Chit Chat
Options

a burning question about pregnancy (might be gross)

Hi all,
To preface, DH and I are not at the point of TTC yet. But, every so often I look at The Bump and the baby on the brain board, though I haven't taken the plunge to participate. 
I've had a burning question about pregnancy for quite some time and feel like just asking it now to get thoughts from those who have been there:
How the hell do you manage "morning" (or all day) sickness with a commute????

I would guess that someone who drives to work might pull over to vomit, if needed. I ride public transportation, at least a half hour each way on crowded buses and trains, plus walking several blocks each way. That sounds absolutely miserable if nauseous. The Bump has tips to combat morning sickness (vitamins, snacking, etc) but nothing about what to do if you have to vomit in a public place. 

This is on my mind more than anything else about pregnancy, oddly enough. I have the ability to work virtually so if things were bad for me, I am 100% certain my boss would let me work from home as long as I needed. 

Thoughts? Happy Monday, right? :) 

Re: a burning question about pregnancy (might be gross)

• Options
    Spoiler alert: it isn't easy.

You may be one of those super lucky people who don't have MS, in which case- YAY.

I walk to the train, take a train, then take a bus to work. Sounds similar to what you do. I was good until about 7/8 weeks, then sick from 7/8-14/15. I had sort of constant, underlying nausea basically all the time. I threw up probably 2-3 times a week. So, all things considered, not nearly as bad a some people have it, but still fairly unpleasant. I also felt much worse in the afternoons than in the mornings.

I tried to walk slowly and always had water with me, as well as a bag/tissues in case. Our trains have bathrooms in them, so those were used from time to time. Don't let yourself get hungry- always pack snacks, try to sit by a window where you can see outside.

Also, just be ok with puking on the sidewalk from time to time- it isn't glamorous, but can be unavoidable sometimes :) I have been known to get off the subway, vomit, then get back on. Trust me, it isn't the strangest thing you will see in New York City :)
  • Options
    KatWAGKatWAG member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited November 2015

Honestly, I wouldn't harp on this.

You have no idea if you will even get MS or how bad it might be. IMO, no sense in stressing about something that might not even be a factor.

If you are really worried about it pack light, bland snacks like crackers. Those might help hold off the vomit long enough for you to get off the bus/ train.

Edit: missed several words. oops.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I've wondered about that too! I get up at 5, leave my house at 5:45 to start teaching at 7:15.  Pregnant coworkers have kept their pregnancies a secret for as long as possible so they don't get stuck with crap classes. I wouldn't be able to just excuse myself to the rest room and leave 30+ teens in a room alone so I guess I would just hope I can make it to the trashcan?

• Options
    To KatWag's point, I know I shouldn't stress about something that may not happen, but it's stuck in my brain regardless! Good to know though that snacks should help ward things off.
    And to Sarahufl's point, yeah, guess if it happens I'll just have to have no shame. As an aside, once DH woke up seriously ill to the point where he wanted to go to the hospital. We slowly walked the 6 blocks to the ER, and he did puke on the sidewalk. No one batted an eye. It's gross to have to say but yeah, in a city environment, nothing surprises anyone. 
    It's good to hear from someone who's been through it. Snacks, bags, and tissues it is! 

• Options
    My best friend pulled to the side of the highway, dumped her books out of her backpack, and threw up in her backpack. So I'd say always have some walmart bags on you LOL

• Options
    I get migraines with horrifying nausea. It's like being on a boat 24/7 when I have a migraine. MS is like that, only with the occasional puking. Also, if you have nausea with migraines, your MS can be worse. Just a tip. I loaded up on all the anti-nausea medication that Motherrisk told me I could take.
  • Options
    I found that eating all the time helped. FWIW, I found the fatigue to be a bigger PITA. It sucks to feel like you can't make the five minute drive home because you're so tired after an 8 hour day. The first trimester was a bitch.
  • Options
    I never had morning sickness. Now puking because acid reflux I did a lot but I was able to hide my pregnancy for 6 months lol
    Morning sickness is not a soul morning thing though it can come at anytime.

Keep crackers by the bed and eat a few before you get out of bed every morning.
    And ginger helps tummy issues.
  • Options
    Fatigue is the worst. I couldn't keep my eyes open. But it's all worth it in the end.
  • Options
    You could ease
    Your mind about things like pregnancy causing you to pee your pants or lightning crotch haha
  • Options
    Yeah, there's also the lovely feeling when you're almost due and not sure if you're leaking amniotic fluid or you just didn't get to the bathroom on time.
  • Options
    jenna8984 said:
    My best friend pulled to the side of the highway, dumped her books out of her backpack, and threw up in her backpack. So I'd say always have some walmart bags on you LOL
    Well... at least she's not a litterbug? LOL poor thing. 

I'm glad to hear from real people and not just a Bump article that snacking actually does help. 

And leakage... yeah not ready to think about that one. :) 

• Options
    Ditto PPs that pregnancies are all so different that it's not worth stressing over. Though if it comes to that they make very user friendly bags for that purpose. I threw up more during labor than the rest of my pregnancy combined. The hospital had these bags where the top popped open very easily and quickly.
  • Options
    I just assume I will have to pull the car over and puke if I have morning sickness when I get pregnant. 

I was sick last week and had to pull over every 5 minutes to puke. The people going past me had no idea what was going on, lol.

• Options
    Not pregnant (at least not yet), but I commute by train and get bad migraines about twice a year.  About 25% of the time they will induce nausea that is bad enough to cause vomiting.  I got one of those beauties while I was at work last week, and wound up vomiting into a triple-lined grocery bag while I was on the train home.

Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.
  • Options
    banana468 said:
    Yeah, there's also the lovely feeling when you're almost due and not sure if you're leaking amniotic fluid or you just didn't get to the bathroom on time.
    when my best friend was pregnant we lived together and I remember we're sitting in the living room just chilling and she's like dang I just peed my pants (for like the 2nd time in an hour). I was like ummmm do you think maybe your water broke?? It never occurred to her despite being like 8+ months pregnant at that point.
  • Options
    I always wondered about that too. I take the train and assumed I'd be getting off/on the train a lot.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    I had an 1:15 driving commute when I was pregnant.  I had bad MS, but for me, there actually wasn't that much vomiting.  It was super intense nausea that didn't go away (it wasn't "morning" sickness), but it only ended in vomiting like a dozen times.  None of them in my car, fortunately!  I'm guessing if that's a concern though, just bring a vomit bag or be ready to throw up in a nearby garbage can if you're in public.  

SaveSave
  • Options
    wrigleyvillewrigleyville member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited November 2015
    My friend swears by these.

http://www.amazon.com/Carebag-Vomit-Super-Absorbent-Count/dp/B0051AZZCM

She keeps them in her car because her son gets sick when they travel long distances.
  • Options

She keeps them in her car because her son gets sick when they travel long distances.
    Well that's cool. And here I was thinking I'd start saving airline sickness bags after some business travel. LOL. 

• Options
    Not pregnant, but I get motion sickness easily and have had some issues with post-surgery nausea (6 surgeries in 5 years for various issues). I always have these with me.
    http://www.amazon.com/Blue-Emesis-Bag-Oz-1000ml/dp/B010R4YXWE/ref=sr_1_12?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1447777876&sr=1-12&keywords=vomit+bag

Wheaton's Law: Don't be a dick.
  • Options

Well that's cool. And here I was thinking I'd start saving airline sickness bags after some business travel. LOL. 
    Um, airline sickness bags aren't that durable for those of us with super weak stomachs :) Just an fyi, they can, in fact, wear out in the bottom.....
  • Options
    sarahufl said:

Um, airline sickness bags aren't that durable for those of us with super weak stomachs :) Just an fyi, they can, in fact, wear out in the bottom.....
    Learn something new every day.... 

• Options
    I'm 9 weeks pregnant tomorrow and I've had nausea for the last few weeks, but I've only thrown up once (Monday) right before my ultrasound. Luckily I have been keeping a plastic garbage bag in my car just in case. I drive over an hour everyday to work, and I always think I might have to pull over. Honestly, if you have to throw up, you don't really care where you do it. As long as I don't throw up all over myself or my car, I don't really care. You got a do what you have to do. I'd rather throw up in front of a bunch of strangers than in a meeting at work or something. 

It's a really weird feeling where you're hungry but nothing sounds good to eat. 

• Options
    @huskypuppy14 - I didn't know you were pregnant! Congrats!!!
    *********************************************************************************

• Options
    I'm 9 weeks pregnant tomorrow and I've had nausea for the last few weeks, but I've only thrown up once (Monday) right before my ultrasound. Luckily I have been keeping a plastic garbage bag in my car just in case. I drive over an hour everyday to work, and I always think I might have to pull over. Honestly, if you have to throw up, you don't really care where you do it. As long as I don't throw up all over myself or my car, I don't really care. You got a do what you have to do. I'd rather throw up in front of a bunch of strangers than in a meeting at work or something. 

It's a really weird feeling where you're hungry but nothing sounds good to eat. 
     Congratulations! 
  • Options
    Thanks guys!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards