Budget Weddings Forum

Two sets of chairs? Reception and Ceremony

Due to recent events, our wedding is being moved 4 months before the big day to my mom's back yard. It's a beautiful place and I'm excited and everything but I'm wondering if it's big enough or worth it to have a set of chairs for the ceremony AND a set of chairs/tables for the reception. Is it lame or look cheap if I have someone move the chairs from the ceremony site to the reception area? 

Re: Two sets of chairs? Reception and Ceremony

• Or has anyone hosted a wedding where they did only use one set of chairs and it worked out well?
  • We are doing double-duty chairs. It depends on the size of your wedding but it won't take long at all to move chairs across a yard, and can be done quickly while guests are grabbing food and drink for cocktail hour.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • (Forgot to say I am a backyard bride, too!)
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Depends on the size of your wedding. Also, something to think about: who will move the chairs? What will guests be doing while the reception area is being set up?
  • monkeysipmonkeysip member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited November 2015
    Nothing wrong with moving the chairs as long as A) someone else does it (not the guests) and B ) Guests have something to do during the time.  Hopefully you'll already have something set out for cocktail hour after the ceremony, so guests can be helping themselves while the chairs are moved.

SaveSave
  • I would be less concerned about the chairs and more concerned about sufficient lavatory facilities and a plan B for inclement weather, unless of course you have already addressed those considerations.
  • Ditto PPs - make sure you are hiring someone to do this (not a guest) and ensure that guests are otherwise engaged (cocktail hour-type deal).  We had to do this due to weather.  Ceremony was supposed to be outdoors with a separate set of chairs, but we had to move it inside to the reception room.  Chairs were set up for the ceremony, and then the catering team flipped the room while guests went to a different room for cocktail hour.  It worked out just fine!  Don't spend the money on twice the chair rental if you don't have to.

• edited November 2015
    i didn't think about that! while everyone is at the food truck getting food, that could be happening! @spockforprez
  • edited November 2015
    i was actually thinking of assigning the job to my nephews! they're old enough and would be greatful for the job! @herrble1015
  • i was actually thinking of assigning the job to my nephews! they're old enough and would be greatful for the job! @herrble1015
    No, please do not give this job to someone that is a guest at your wedding. A job implies payment, so unless the nephews offer and you are paying them so not do this. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards