Wedding Photography and Videography Forum

Is it rude to send your photographer examples of pictures you like?

I was just curious as to what the protocol regarding this was.  I found a lot of photos all over the web of some poses that I really like.  I know photographers have their own style and vision (which I would never ask them to change since that's essentially what you're paying for), but would it be okay if I also send them some examples of poses and staging I like so they can also get a sense of what appeals to me?  Or do photographers take offense to that?

Re: Is it rude to send your photographer examples of pictures you like?

• I showed my photographer what photos I liked and also gave him a list of must have shots. I think he appreciated knowing what I was interested in and expected. On a couple of them he said I like the concept with this one but this is how I'd do it and he took them both ways and honestly his way was better. Also with the list what he did was take all of his normal photos and then double checked with the list so we went back and got a couple he'd missed but for the most part he had everything I wanted covered anyways.

So I think showing examples is OK and they like that but if you are super insistent on it matching perfectly I think your photographer will get frustrated and you will be disappointed with the results.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I was just curious as to what the protocol regarding this was.  I found a lot of photos all over the web of some poses that I really like.  I know photographers have their own style and vision (which I would never ask them to change since that's essentially what you're paying for), but would it be okay if I also send them some examples of poses and staging I like so they can also get a sense of what appeals to me?  Or do photographers take offense to that?
    My experience is that they will likely not take offense to that.  In fact, they may appreciate the fact that you're giving them an idea of your style and what you'd like to do.  
  • My photographer actually asked me for ideas of what styles we were looking for in regards to engagement and wedding photos. I shared my Pinterest "Wedding Photo Ideas" board with my photographer, and she definitely took my ideas into consideration on my wedding day!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards