Destination Weddings Discussions
Options

Legally Married in Puerto Rico -- To Do or Not To Do?

Help?!?! We are getting married in Puerto Rico in March (we're both from Massachusetts). We are going back and forth about getting legally married in PR. We have a great officiant who has given us all of the requirements but it seems cumbersome. Has anyone done in recently? Is it as painful as it sounds?

Any advice would be most helpful!

Re: Legally Married in Puerto Rico -- To Do or Not To Do?

• Options
    Help?!?! We are getting married in Puerto Rico in March (we're both from Massachusetts). We are going back and forth about getting legally married in PR. We have a great officiant who has given us all of the requirements but it seems cumbersome. Has anyone done in recently? Is it as painful as it sounds?

Any advice would be most helpful!

You will get a lot of backlash here about not getting legally married at your wedding.  At the least, if you are not legally getting married there (but doing a 'ceremony'), you need to tell your guests before they book so they can make an informed decision about if they want to attend or not.  

As for the requirements, they aren't that bad.  Photo ID and a swore affidavit that you're not residents, that you're there to get married and that you're not staying longer than you're allowed, and a copy of your birth certificate.  You don't need medical tests, no residency.  I would say get legally married in Puerto Rico if that is where you're planning on getting married

• Options
    Can we get the affidavit in Massachusetts or do we need to do that in Puerto Rico?
  • Options
    Can we get the affidavit in Massachusetts or do we need to do that in Puerto Rico?

I believe you need it from your country of residence, so Mass would be it.  

• Options
    Since you are a US citizen, except for the affidavit, it's pretty much the same as most states.   You can just get a notary for the affidavit.  

Actually getting my NJ license was more of a hassle because they have a 72 hour waiting period and we lived OOT.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards