Chit Chat

anyone around?

DH is back working weekend nights so I'm just chillin at home with the dogs.  We did go to see the Women's world cup races today.    It was a beautiful day (although a little nippy).  

After the races I did some more xmas shopping for DH.    Online  shopping might be convenient but it's make me spend more at xmas time.   LOL

What are you up to?

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 

Re: anyone around?

• H is off on a hunting trip so I'm home with the animals baking bread and watching TV shows he hates. The dog is very confused since it's the first time H has left for more than a night since we adopted him. Poor puppy keeps wandering around the house looking for him.
  • Drinking wine. I have been busy for the last few days, so I decided to stick around the house. I have done three loads of laundry. As a reward, I am drinking wine and watching tv. 
  • poor puppy.  

I'm watching Law and Order.  DH HATES that show.  Just the sound of the "dun, dun" annoys him. 

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Oh I'm drinking wine too. I love law and order, SVU is my favorite although I miss Stabler. H hates it too. He rants about how no one stops what they're doing when questioned by detectives and how unrealistic it is. I love it.
  • maybe I should open up some wine too!

• lyndausvi said:
    maybe I should open up some wine too!
    You can never go wrong with wine. 
  • Yep, I'm drinking wine and watching college football. DH's brother is in town so the two of them went out for some drinks and dinner. I'm enjoying the peace and quiet of having the house to myself and snuggling with the dogs.

• Now I see that we're all drinking! Cheers, gals! :smiley: 

• lyndausvi said:
    DH is back working weekend nights so I'm just chillin at home with the dogs.  We did go to see the Women's world cup races today.    It was a beautiful day (although a little nippy).  

After the races I did some more xmas shopping for DH.    Online  shopping might be convenient but it's make me spend more at xmas time.   LOL

What are you up to?
    I feel you here. I just finished doing some online shopping for gifts.. (and some for myself o:) ) DH always comes in and says "babe! More packages??" I can't seem to get him to understand how much easier it is to shop online. Also, lots of retailers ship items in multiple shipments. Nobody would get gifts if I didn't take the initiative!

• Damn you peer pressure.         I opened up a bottle of wine.

lyndausvi said:

What are you up to?
    I feel you here. I just finished doing some online shopping for gifts.. (and some for myself o:) ) DH always comes in and says "babe! More packages??" I can't seem to get him to understand how much easier it is to shop online. Also, lots of retailers ship items in multiple shipments. Nobody would get gifts if I didn't take the initiative!
    DH is going to have a lot of gifts under the tree.  And it's not even the 1st of December.  Lord knows I'm going to add something else.

• lyndausvi said:

What are you up to?
    Good for you-I haven't even started Christmas shopping yet. 
  • Always open the wine.

I don't even have Christmas lists going yet! Good for you ladies. We've had a busy fall, I just accepted a new job (that doesn't start until August) so we have hardly done anything to get ready for the holidays.
  • lyndausvilyndausvi mod
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited November 2015
    My house is already decorated    

:blush: 

I still have to buy gifts for my parents and nieces/nephew.   Nieces/nephew is just a gift card.  Way easier since I live across the country from them.    

My parents are a little more difficult. They have everything or will just buy it if they don't.    Last year they were in Hawaii and I got them a private airplane ride over Kauai.     Apparently DH has been looking at model airplanes for my dad.  Which is a great gift.  I actually teared up on how much time he had put into research before he told me.  Mom is a little more difficult.      

• That's a really cool gift.

H's parents are the same way. They just buy things that they need/want so it's hard to get them anything. My parents are easier because they hate shopping, but anytime H's parents mention a gift it's because they're on the way to buy it.
  • I am about to open up some wine and join the club.  Junior goes  back up to school in the morning, DD and SIL head back to IN, and it will just be me and DH...until I go to work Monday morning.  I am good with everyone going their way.  I have a lot of shopping to do - only 4 gifts bought for others but I did order a pretty kickass Kitchenaid blender this morning - for me.  Getting caught up in that online shopping "Oh hey look!  I've been wanting one of those and that's a good deal" kind of thing.  I gotta knock that off.

Wish I had some Riesling but I'm gonna have to settle for Chardonnay.  
  • banana468 said:
    We just finished dinner and the kids are off to bed. I made a birthday cake for my dad and DD and we will do a joint celebration at my IL's tomorrow afternoon. I'm hoping my dad will be happy. We have all been heartbroken over the suicide of a family member and I'm not sure how to proceed with the holidays. If there's anything great about having oblivious kids it's here in my house right now.
    I'm sorry for your recent loss.  Holidays can be hard.   Just focus on your kids and their happiness.

• lyndausvi said:

banana468 said:

We just finished dinner and the kids are off to bed. I made a birthday cake for my dad and DD and we will do a joint celebration at my IL's tomorrow afternoon.

I'm hoping my dad will be happy. We have all been heartbroken over the suicide of a family member and I'm not sure how to proceed with the holidays. If there's anything great about having oblivious kids it's here in my house right now.

I'm sorry for your recent loss.  Holidays can be hard.   Just focus on your kids and their happiness.

Thanks Lynda. I only cryptically mentioned it on FB the other night when I drove home from a wake in the rain. I'm trying to focus on my kids and trying to figure out how to be more available to my extended family. If there was ever a time I'm glad I didn't grow up in a dry family it's now!
  • CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited November 2015
    So sorry, Banana.  It is so hard to understand these things.  Thoughts and prayers.

I'm having fun with Ancestry.com.  I found a breakthrough today that I have been seeking for 40 years.  A family that is as broken as mine can be heard to research,
    I am descended from one Pilgrim father:  Isaac Chilton.  He died without ever setting foot in the New World, as did many people on that terrible voyage.  Fortunately for me, his daughter was smarter.  She said "I'm not getting on that leaky boat and going across the ocean in winter!  I'll come later, when things are more established!"  Ha!
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • CMGragain said:
    So sorry, Banana.  It is so hard to understand these things.  Thoughts and prayers.

I'm having fun with Ancestry.com.  I found a breakthrough today that I have been seeking for 40 years.  A family that is as broken as mine can be heard to research,
    I am descended from one Pilgrim father:  Isaac Chilton.  He died without ever setting foot in the New World, as did many people on that terrible voyage.  Fortunately for me, his daughter was smarter.  She said "I'm not getting on that leaky boat and going across the ocean in winter!  I'll come later, when things are more established!"  Ha!

That is so cool.

A few weeks ago a 50 year old family secret was revealed.  Through Ancestry DNA an unknown first cousin found some other cousins.   Apparently my aunt had back problems and went to the doctor only to find out she was in labor.  She had 3 kids already mind you and a widow.  She gave the baby up for adoption.  Only my grandparents and her siblings knew.        

With all the drinking that goes on in my family I can not believe this never came out.  Not even my aunt's (she passed 10 years ago) kids knew about their 1/2 sibling.   

• Sorry for your loss banana; I hope you and your family can find peace this holiday season (and beyond). FI is working overtime until 10 so it's just me and the pets for now. After today, I'm perfectly content watching a movie and drinking wine.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Thanks everyone. I'm hoping to watch more HBO stand up tonight!

I may gift DH an analysis from 23 and Me for Christmas or his birthday. It's such an interesting concept!
  • Poor DH.  He just called and said he has 60 on the books and who knows how many walk-ins.

Before DH they would only do 10-15 dinners a night this time of year (except for major holidays).   Well after last year they averaged 60 a night.  However, the front of the house managers are still budgeting and staffing for pre-DH numbers.  So basically, it's a shit show because they do not have enough staff for the number of people coming in.    

It's crazy because DH is over $300K over budget in revenue.  So instead of thinking "oh well now chef is here our numbers are going up so I will staff accordingly"  they say "well 2 years ago we only did 10 so we will have no staff and the manager will just serve the table".      

• CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited November 2015
    banana468 said:
    Thanks everyone. I'm hoping to watch more HBO stand up tonight! I may gift DH an analysis from 23 and Me for Christmas or his birthday. It's such an interesting concept!
    DNA analysis are on sale until Nov. 30.  http://www.ancestry.com/cs/gifting2015?o_iid=68657&o_lid=68657&o_sch=Web+Property

I am giving daughter a membership so she can research her DH's family tree.

httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • banana468 said:
    We just finished dinner and the kids are off to bed. I made a birthday cake for my dad and DD and we will do a joint celebration at my IL's tomorrow afternoon. I'm hoping my dad will be happy. We have all been heartbroken over the suicide of a family member and I'm not sure how to proceed with the holidays. If there's anything great about having oblivious kids it's here in my house right now.
    I'm very sorry for your loss.

It's raining here, so there's not much to do besides watch the Macy's parade, watch videos, watch football, and eat turkey etc. with family and friends.
  • Sorry for your loss, Banana.

We bought a new tree today and put it up, so all the decorations are done now. Tonight we watched a movie. It's been a nice few days off for me. I have some work stuff to do tomorrow, but for the most part I decided to ignore all school stuff and actually enjoy my break.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • We went to macy's today and bought some things with our completion discount and gift cards. Now I am back to studying. 

• I worked today (Saturday). I work in a call center. I took calls this morning and in the afternoon did decorations/centerpieces for our holiday party, which is next Saturday. 

At home, laid around with FH for a bit, then tried to nap but the cats interfered. Did the dishes, went out for cat food and litter. Ate Panera. Came home, scooped the cat boxes. Left the house around 9:30 to drive 90 minutes to my mom's house for the night and tomorrow to have our family Thanksgiving.

Ordinarily I would have zipped through the chores to leave around 6-6:30 (I get home from work around 4:30) but I have recurring vertigo and had an episode this afternoon, likely exacerbated by the attempted nap.

A scintillating day, I tell you. I know how to live the good life, people!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Sorry to hear that Banana.  

I lost a former student this week, currently in grade 12.  OD'd with some recreational drugs.  I'm assuming something had Fentanyl in it.  He was a nice kid, but I'm not surprised he was involved recreationally with that.  

DH and I went out with some of his friends tonight to a Breakout room and then dinner.  It was fun at first, but we all got stuck on one clue.  It was a picture of numbers, and we finally asked for a clue after trying every possible combination a million times.  The guy said do you remember the childhood joke?  Why was 6 afraid of 7?  We all stared at him.  I remembered about 5-10 seconds later that it's cos 7 ate 9.  No one else had heard that joke, so I was a little frustrated that we wasted so much time on something that couldn't be figured out unless you knew the joke.  I liked trying to figure out the clues, but we were never going to get this one, so it kinda killed the fun of it for me.  

I also love law and Order SVU (the old ones).  I'll take the original too.  I wish I could watch it more often.  

• Yes. it hasn't been the same since Christopher Meloni left.  (Sigh!)
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards