Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions
Options

Readings for Ceremony

Hi everyone!

We really want to have a couple of readings at our ceremony, most probably given by both our mothers. So far I have settled on A Red Red Rose by Robert Burns (I'm Scottish), but am struggling with a second. We are getting married in a town hall (think in the US it is the same as a courthouse wedding), so we can't have any references to religion, which we are fine with.

Any ideas would be gratefully received!

Re: Readings for Ceremony

• Options
    We had 'I carry your heart' by E. E. Cummings. It's one of my favourites and had been for a while, but when we were talking about what readings we would have I do remember also just doing a quick search for wedding readings and a few lovely ones came up. Good luck!
  • Options
    Thanks!

I know, I keep looking through lists of readings on various websites and I guess my problem is that nothing I've read so far seems personal to us, so I haven't really added anything to the shortlist.

FI's favourite book is les mis, I wonder if there are any passages in it that might be appropriate....I need to do more research!

• Options
    Also, just looked up I Carry Your Heart - beautiful! What a great choice!

• Options
    There is a popular reading from Les Mis that I kept seeing when I was looking for readings... Wasn't really our style but it must be popular if it's all over the place. If you search wedding reading les mis it pops up, but here is the excerpt:

“The future belongs to hearts even more than it does to minds. Love, that is the only thing that can occupy and fill eternity. In the infinite, the inexhaustible is requisite.

Love participates of the soul itself. It is of the same nature. Like it, it is the divine spark; like it, it is incorruptible, indivisible, imperishable. It is a point of fire that exists within us, which is immortal and infinite, which nothing can confine, and which nothing can extinguish. We feel it burning even to the very marrow of our bones, and we see it beaming in the very depths of heaven…

What a grand thing it is to be loved! What a far grander thing it is to love! The heart becomes heroic, by dint of passion. It is no longer composed of anything but what is pure; it no longer rests on anything that is not elevated and great. An unworthy thought can no more germinate in it, than a nettle on a glacier. The serene and lofty soul, inaccessible to vulgar passions and emotions, dominating the clouds and the shades of this world, its follies, its lies, its hatreds, its vanities, its miseries, inhabits the blue of heaven, and no longer feels anything but profound and subterranean shocks of destiny, as the crests of mountains feel the shocks of earthquake.

If there did not exist some one who loved, the sun would become extinct.”

• Options
    Thanks, yes I've seen this now so it's on the shortlist!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards