Wedding Etiquette Forum

Salon forgetting to charge for service

So i got married last week, the salon owner forgot to charge me for my nails and only charged me for my hair.  She called me on Tuesday and informed me of this by voice mail this week.  It's really been stressing me out trying to figure out what to do?  she received a 30 percent tip last week on what she did charge me last week, which is the same as what she didn't charge me and the salon is about 15 miles from where I live in a direction I rarely go...  I need advice on a good way to handle this?

Re: Salon forgetting to charge for service

•  I tipped her so high because I was amazed by the price verses the services i received,  which shes not telling me i shouldn't have been.  I'm feeling a little bait and switched in all honesty...
  •  I tipped her so high because I was amazed by the price verses the services i received,  which shes not telling me i shouldn't have been.  I'm feeling a little bait and switched in all honesty...
    But no one forced you to tip that much... You made that decision. 

Did you get a receipt? Did it itemize what services you had before you signed?

I'm confused...did you not discuss the price beforehand, when you made the appointment? So wouldn't you have known how much it cost? Did you sign a contract? (not sure if that's necessary, someone can correct me)

Formerly martha1818

• Send her the payment for the nails.    I would not tip her more. 

I don't think it's a bait and switch, just an honest mistake.  The fact you tipped well is on you.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • edited December 2015
    I have a a customer copy the has services 58 dollars on it...  It didn't brake them down.  She's admitting it's her fault she didn't charge me for the other.

• I would still pay her for services she performed.  If this was a month or more after the wedding, I'd be more suspect about it, but she contacted you quickly when she realized the mistake.  So pay her. 

Are you trying to get us to tell you to NOT pay her?

• Call her back and give her a credit card over the phone.  Do not tip her further.

But really I feel like you just want us to tell you that you don't have to pay her since she made a mistake.  I think it is crazy that you didn't realize the price was wrong when she told you the total the day of.  I mean I am assuming you knew the prices for things beforehand so it would be safe to realize that when you were told the total cost at time of payment you would realize that something was amiss.

• If you received services you should pay for them. Yes, she made a mistake, but still provided service you requested. If you think that the lower price covered what you had done you are feeling taken advantage of (which doesn't really sound like the case), check online for the pricing, match that up to your bill. If it matches (the price for hair and nails that is online is what you paid) then you don't owe her anything. However, if it doesn't, of the price is just for your hair then yes you do owe her the cost of the nails.

You don't get a free manicure just because she made a minor mistake. Call in your CC number or send a check and move on.
  • I booked an appointment to get a french and was told by the person she didn't really do Frenches, I assumed the quote and the price difference were a difference of peoples rates. I'm happy to pay her more I'm just questioning weather it should have been added to what I already paid her as a tip because the slip says she was paid the agreed upon price .  I took it as some what good that i wasn't just going with i asked you what i owed a paid it.  I'm going to drive out and pay her the question was how to handle how much.

• lyndausvi said:
    Am I the only one who looks at really low bill and questions it before I pay?

Maybe I'm too honest?   Anyway if someone called me a few days later I would absolutely pay for the mistake.   I would be the one saying "I thought it was a little low".
    Nope.  Especially if I know the cost of the services I am receiving.

• You pay her for the price of the nails. The top you chose to give to her doesn't matter now. You have to pay the cost of the service.
  • lyndausvi said:
    Am I the only one who looks at really low bill and questions it before I pay?

Maybe I'm too honest?   Anyway if someone called me a few days later I would absolutely pay for the mistake.   I would be the one saying "I thought it was a little low".
    Nope.  Especially if I know the cost of the services I am receiving.

I do that too. A few years ago I actually went back to a store after realizing that they hadn't scanned an item.
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • I booked an appointment to get a french and was told by the person she didn't really do Frenches, I assumed the quote and the price difference were a difference of peoples rates. I'm happy to pay her more I'm just questioning weather it should have been added to what I already paid her as a tip because the slip says she was paid the agreed upon price .  I took it as some what good that i wasn't just going with i asked you what i owed a paid it.  I'm going to drive out and pay her the question was how to handle how much.

So you knew the price was off, but didn't say anything. Then you tipped well (your call) and now you're thinking that because you tipped the amount that the nails cost, you shouldn't *have* to pay? Because they made a mistake- that you noticed, but didn't mention?

You pay her what you owe her. Not 'less' because you tipped well previously.
  • edited December 2015
    I agree she needed money I was trying to figure how much...   Now I'm good.  I was just a little frustrated.
  • Yeah, if you take away payment based on your tip, that's pretty shitty.  You should have recognized right away the price difference.  You already tipped her, so now you have to pay what she is owed, regardless of that tip.  

And, there are literally a ton of options to pay her.  Write and send her a check, give her your CC over the phone, wire it to her account, drive by and give it to her, use Venmo or paypal.....you're making this much more complicated than it needs to be.  

• edited December 2015

I'll be the odd one out and say this:

Her miscalculations are on her. I wouldn't pay her. It's a WEEK later? Yeah, no. This can be her "lesson learned" to pay more attention next time. If you got an item you thought was on sale and then a week later the cashier called and said it wasn't, it was just a mistake, would you pay the full price? I wouldn't.

I don't think You are legally obligated to pay now. You paid what you thought was the right amount at the time of services rendered. Morally? Ehhhhh...Do you frequent there?

• I don't know why you're so shocked, pp. I actually think it's pretty unprofessional for the owner to contact a customer a week after a service and ask for money saying she miscalculated.

If you mess up at your business, that's on you. Not the customer. Its not OPs fault. She can now decide if she wants to pay, but she really doesn't have to.
  • I don't know why you're so shocked, pp. I actually think it's pretty unprofessional for the owner to contact a customer a week after a service and ask for money saying she miscalculated. If you mess up at your business, that's on you. Not the customer. Its not OPs fault. She can now decide if she wants to pay, but she really doesn't have to.
    You're quite the peach.  Most likely there was a contract, and the OP and salon owner discussed prices before the date.  The contract would have lined out those prices.  So to assume it's okay not to pay her because it's a week later is pretty shitty.  And the OP knew something was off when she paid.  Super shitty.  

• levioosa said:

I don't know why you're so shocked, pp. I actually think it's pretty unprofessional for the owner to contact a customer a week after a service and ask for money saying she miscalculated.

If you mess up at your business, that's on you. Not the customer. Its not OPs fault. She can now decide if she wants to pay, but she really doesn't have to.

You're quite the peach.  Most likely there was a contract, and the OP and salon owner discussed prices before the date.  The contract would have lined out those prices.  So to assume it's okay not to pay her because it's a week later is pretty shitty.  And the OP knew something was off when she paid.  Super shitty.  

Meh, I like apples better! :P She doesn't say there was a contract. Again, this is on the salon owner. If the owner didn't have her phone number then she would be SOL.
  • levioosa said:

I don't know why you're so shocked, pp. I actually think it's pretty unprofessional for the owner to contact a customer a week after a service and ask for money saying she miscalculated.

Meh, I like apples better! :P She doesn't say there was a contract. Again, this is on the salon owner. If the owner didn't have her phone number then she would be SOL.

This is really shady as a consumer. What if it was a situation where an item simply failed to ring (not the case here but just saying) . Part of being a good consumer is questioning this.

FWIW, your logic would never fly with the government. If they fail to send you your tax bill and the taxes don't get paid, it's your responsibility. And failure to pay can mean that you're the one driving an unregistered vehicle.
  • edited December 2015
    There was no written contract and she told me when she booked the appointments that she would see who should could get but she wasn't sure who it would be. I thought the price she gave was for a regular and maybe she had an intern that day, also the payment ran through to the owner and not the salon so i'm  a little worried that the girl who did the nails won't see any of the tip.

And they waited to call me till quite a few days latter which led to a lot of stress do to changes in employment status, with in that time.  I also tried fairly hard to make sure everyone got paid before I signed up for school cause I needed to know how much I had for classes, when you make minimum wage to sometimes are a little close on accounts then you'd like to be.  

Shes not a business I've ever used before, if she's been some one I knew well I would have just asked to pay her the next time I was in.  Also,  when I offered to mail them a check, I don't really use my credit card, they blamed it on being super busy, the were only 3 customers the entire time I was there, if your gonna ask me to correct you mistake at least own it. Finally they complained about me sending them the check not coming out and paying for the gas to get there, even though under state law i could have told them they were owed no more.  I was trying to make it right for them.

• HeffalumpHeffalump member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited December 2015
    Who pays for things when they don't understand what they're paying for?  I mean, nobody expects you to automatically intuit their pricing structure, but I've never met a vendor (of any kind, not just wedding) who can't explain at the time of service what each line item costs.  If I did, I would think they were super shady and would not use their services.  Adulting 101.

So yes, OP (and @Knottie1430025803), you have to pay for services you received.  This is how capitalism works.
  • I think the attitude of "well, it's her mistake, so..." is really reprehensible. I truly believe in karma, and if you (general you) screw someone like this, it will absolutely come back to bite you in the ass. 

They made a mistake, and you owe the money, OP. Also, how would you feel if the situation was reversed? 
  • I'll be the odd one out and say this:

Her miscalculations are on her. I wouldn't pay her. It's a WEEK later? Yeah, no. This can be her "lesson learned" to pay more attention next time. If you got an item you thought was on sale and then a week later the cashier called and said it wasn't, it was just a mistake, would you pay the full price? I wouldn't.

I don't think You are legally obligated to pay now. You paid what you thought was the right amount at the time of services rendered. Morally? Ehhhhh...Do you frequent there?

I really hope you're a troll. The fact that I don't think you are makes me sad about the world.
    I say troll, too.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards