Chit Chat

Wanna meet the baby? Clean our shit.

Thought you guys would appreciate this note that I just read from a former friend on Facebook. Gross gross gross. Can't make this shit up.

Re: Wanna meet the baby? Clean our shit.

• I've heard of people organizing amongst themselves to do this for new parents, but for them to orchestrate it? Nope.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Yeah, I would not be seeing that newborn until it was a year old with those "rules".

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • I'm not likely to be interested enough in seeing your (general) kid to be motivated to do that shit for you. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Why are some people so entitled? Honestly, I am constantly impressed by how gross people can act with apparently no shame!

• Some of my friends at church organize meal trains, etc. for people when they have babies, but to organize something like this for yourself?? Just gross.

• drunkenwitchdrunkenwitch member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited November 2015
    Wow. I fucking just can't. I have dropped off meals many times for friends that just had a baby. I've even done household chores or offered to sit with the baby for awhile so new mom can take shower or catch a short nap. One little tiny difference, I OFFERED! and all my friends thanked me for THE OFFER.

ETA, every time I see an email go around asking for volunteers to drop off a meal for new parents or someone who just had surgery, it's always organized by someone else, never the recipient.

• So in order to meet your new baby, I have to do your household chores that I don't even particularly like doing at my own house? Yeah, no thanks. Maybe I'll come to the first birthday party, provided I don't get a to-do list if I attend that.

And not only do I dislike doing these chores, I don't have TIME to do these chores at my own house. If I have time to even come say hi and meet your baby, you're lucky! Also, this grabby attitude implies that peoples' baby shower gifts weren't enough of a gift for these people... They need to update their registry and ask for MORE!!! So gross.
  • wow, there are no words other than gross... 

• What's worse, is how many people will enable this behavior by complying.  This is just a gross way to treat people.
  • Look, I get that there are plenty of people who don't get that a new mom isn't a hostess and you don't just show up and ask her to whip up lunch and tea. But this push back is too much.
  • Wow. Did your friend post as a joke? I wouldn't go over there ever.

• Sign me up to clean your breast pump!  (Said no one ever!)
  • Sign me up to clean your breast pump!  (Said no one ever!)
    Seriously!   And that stuff goes in the dishwasher.   All the baby stuff goes in the dishwasher.   And if you don't have one - buy one!     

I'm all for saying that a person should offer to help a new parent when visiting but man, that list makes me want to shake the parents. 
  • Wow. I fucking just can't. I have dropped off meals many times for friends that just had a baby. I've even done household chores or offered to sit with the baby for awhile so new mom can take shower or catch a short nap. One little tiny difference, I OFFERED! and all my friends thanked me for THE OFFER. ETA, every time I see an email go around asking for volunteers to drop off a meal for new parents or someone who just had surgery, it's always organized by someone else, never the recipient.
    I've done the same! I would never expect people to do it. I know I'd pass off my child to mine or H's family if they stopped over to quickly shower, but I would never expect them to do any cleaning for me {although I know they would ....}
    But to expect it?
    Also like PP's have said, just be sure you're not sick and up-to-date on vaccines for health concerns!
  • 20 bucks these people will be the type to show up announced at a friend's home, with the kid in tow, and start demanding said friend child proof their home and demand they provide snacks and entertainment for said child.
    Have you met my H's dad's GF?  Cause she did that with her grandkids at our housewarming party.  There were 40+ adults there, and like 6 kids.  She told me later after some of the people had left that I should have set up a play area with games in our garage for the kids, and mentioned our house wasn't really kid friendly.  Well no shit it's not kid friendly, we don't have kids.  

Never mind the other kids at the party seemed to amuse themselves just fine by playing with our dogs and running around on our acre of property.
    Married 9.12.15
  • Bleck!

I agree- you want me to clean your house when I don't have time to clean my own? And sterilize your breast pump? Eww. 

I will happily cuddle and coo over your baby while you take a shower, or you know, clean your own house. 

I have definitely heard of people bringing meals and helping around the house, but that is usually close family and friends who offer, not anyone who comes to visit. I get that a new parents is not going to be the hostess with the mostest- nor would I expect them to, but I would never ask someone to come over to my house and cook or clean for me! 
  • I think this is one of those things where you never ask as  new parent, but you are a good friend if you offer.  It also depends who it is. If you are a good enough friend or family to come see the baby right after he or she is born, you should be  good enough friend or family to do the dishes or bring over dinner.

When I have visited friends who just had  baby, if it's dinner time I offer to bring food over. One time my friend's husband made dinner, so I loaded the dishwasher for them. Also, if it's family and they want to see the baby, I have no problem saying, here's the baby, i'm taking a nap. 

Putting this list on facebook is gross though, absolutely.

• I am annoyed by people that come over in the first few days of a baby's life, when the parents are exhausted and delirious, and the mom is often in serious physical pain, and all they want to do is get a little bit of baby cuddle in and leave.  I think people really should offer to do something (like bring a sandwich for mom or take a bag of trash out).  But I would never ever make a list like that, basically demanding help.  What a way to make sure no one ever helps you...

SaveSave
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards