Gay Weddings

Is my wedding too proud??

Hello,
Me and my wonderful fiance are getting married Sept 2017 ( as busy as we are we needed the extra planning time). Im getting alot of feedback from friends and co workers as far as my color scheme. now we are very proud to be apart of the LGBT community, especially being that we can now get married in our home state of NC, so we decided to incorporate the rainbow into our wedding but i recently got some feedback about that saying it would look "childish" or that im "shoving the gay down peoples throats" ! Now that last statement shocked me completely. She really looks forward to the rainbow as well as me and i thought if i blended it in well and not too bold it would work out. i guess my question is : its that "childish" or "shoving gay down peoples throats ?

Re: Is my wedding too proud??

• Wow - rainbows are now "shoving gay down people's throats"? Maybe they shouldn't be going to a gay wedding then? I mean next thing you know they'll be upset that the brides are kissing SMH

On a more serious note, I do think rainbows everywhere would be a bit overwhelming. But here and there should be fine. Maybe have them on your favors or invitations or something else small. I could see doing a sky blue or purple with some rainbow accents, just not the whole room.
  • RIGHT !!  Smh but the thing is i wasnt going to do actual rainbows just add something of each color somewhere in there but not all at one time so it wouldnt look overwhelming ! but im glad im not alone in thinking that comment was a little ignorant to say the least !
  • Honestly, I would tell them to promptly shut face.
    If people suggest that you are "too proud", perhaps its because you ARE proud, and thats fucking fantastic.

As for overwhelming, I feel you there. My theme is HP, so finding the right balance is key in not making it look like a childs birthday party. I'm sure you'll find some great ideas for colorful themes here .

• Awwww thanks you guys ! i was just like wow really , dont get me wrong im very VERY proud of my engagement and soon to be marriage i couldnt imagine spending the rest of my life with anyone else. so i am proud to wear my rainbow internally and externally !!! i was just taking into thought other people as well because the day is about us but i want to make sure everyone is comfortable but i think im just gonna be str8 up and say if anything about this celebration makes you feel "uncomfortable" you can send your congrats in a text or the mail.
  • Honestly as long as there's enough food and drink for everyone, a seat for every butt both at ceremony and reception, and you keep in mind temps/weather for your guests' comfort - you'll be fine. Tell the haters to shove it and enjoy celebrating with your loved ones :smile: 
  • Thanks a bunch !! thats my new mindset !! i just want to have a wonderful night celebrating our new life together !!
  • Of course not ! i second guessed my whole friendship honestly lol like really ?? 
  • I went to a wedding where the cake had rainbow layers inside. You wouldn't know it from the outside but once it was cut and served you could see the rainbow layers. From a guest perspective, it was an awesome detail.
  • Yeah, I agree that they shouldn't be upset or surprised that a gay wedding has gay symbolism in it.  Don't let them bother you.

But, on another note, I do think it may be a bit over the top to have a rainbow themed wedding or even using all the colors in various places.  Using them all separately would be hard to tie it together without it looking circus-y.  But, I definitely think there could be some elements included. 

What about doing rainbow colored bouquet and/or flowers?  I also like Wildcat's suggestion of the rainbow cake.  I think things like that which are subtle, but still visible would be awesome.

• @princessleia22 : That bouquet is gorgeous !!!! i would really have to look into that
  • @Wildcat144 : i actually saw that on google and thought it would be a nice surprise for guests lol they would never expect it
  • I love this idea (swiped from Colin Cowie)...guests throw rainbow sprinkels at you as you walk down the aisle (the only thing I would worry about is staining?). I think your rainbow plan is a great one, as long as you balance it out with some classic neutrals. If it were me I would stick with white table linens. Throw sprinkles instead of rice  They say pics turn out gorgeous  such a fun idea
  • I love this idea (swiped from Colin Cowie)...guests throw rainbow sprinkels at you as you walk down the aisle (the only thing I would worry about is staining?). I think your rainbow plan is a great one, as long as you balance it out with some classic neutrals. If it were me I would stick with white table linens. Throw sprinkles instead of rice  They say pics turn out gorgeous  such a fun idea
    I love the stars those are really pretty ! What do you think about being thrown as we leave for the night (instead of rice or sparklers) 
  • Hello fellow NCer! I'm in the camp of "Do what will make you happy" I think when you say that you want to incorporate rainbows, people are picturing something very different from what you're envisioning. Wildcat's suggestion of a rainbow-layer cake is a good one and confirms that it will be memorable.

Would also give a whole new meaning to your (I'm guessing now former) friend's statement about "shoving gay down people's throat"
    I love the stars those are really pretty ! What do you think about being thrown as we leave for the night (instead of rice or sparklers) 
    It's highly unlikely that your venues will allow you to throw sprinkles (or usually anything).

• My fiancé and I are getting married in a former Naval officers club. We will have the rainbow flag there as well as the US flag. 
  • I personally this incorporating the rainbow or the individual colours is your right as the people getting married. you get to choose your colours and if you want the rainbow to signify the pride you have then that is your right. Plus it can be seen as a tribute to incorporate the rainbow, where i'm from in a non hetro wedding, as it signifies the fight for equality. 

I also don't believe it can ever look childish as its a natural phenomenon although with a colour blind SO there would be no point me trying to incorporate the rainbow in anything haha  
  • @nassyv12, this post is from November 2015.  Please check the date on a thread before reviving it.  
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards