Just Engaged and Proposals
Options

Who did you tell first? Or who did you tell last?

Who did you tell first about your engagement? Why did you tell them first?
Also was there anyone you had to tell last?

FI and I got engaged 2 days before Christmas but we waited until NYE to tell anyone because we wanted to tell our moms at the same time, we knew they would get together then. We didn't want either of them to be first alone; it meant more to us that they knew at the same time than them knowing right away. 

We had to tell FI sisters last; the 2 of them post absolutely everything on facebook even if its not their business to. So we knew that when we told them they would end up posting about it before we got the chance to tell the important people personally. Which was good because an hour after telling them they posted about it on fb. >:( Luckily that was about 10 minutes after we changed our relationship status. 

Daisypath Wedding tickersDaisypath Anniversary tickers 

Re: Who did you tell first? Or who did you tell last?

• Options
    I called my sisters first since they live in another state, and we did it a couple of days after the proposal so we could enjoy the newly engaged feeling privately. I wanted to tell them first so *I* could share the news with them, and then call my parents (who live across the country). Turned out my sisters already knew, because my parents were already aware that the proposal was going to happen during this particular weekend--FI had called them up about it a few weeks earlier. My mom is the type of person who likes to spread good news because she gets the initial surprise reaction, so she told my sisters right away. It really bummed me out that I couldn't be the one to share my good news and had to hear my sisters feign the surprise over the phone and just tell them "Hey, I already know Mom told you. No need to act incredibly shocked." I also found out about both of my sisters' marriages and their pregnancies via my mom. But whatever, it's really not a big deal, just more annoying than anything.

We spent the next 1-2 weeks telling close friends in person, and getting together with FI's family (who are more local) to tell them in person. Since Mom already had loose lips on the subject, I asked her not to tell any of her family members until I had a chance to tell all of the important people personally--the wives of some of my cousins are also very active on Facebook/gossip and would be spreading the news within minutes of finding out. I wanted to make sure all of the important people heard from us before finding out on Facebook. So I totally understand your frustration!
                                     Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    FI proposed in front of most of the people I would have told except our families, so I didn't really have to tell anyone.

I think we called our parents the next day.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I called my parents about 30 minutes after it happened. We were on vacation in Europe on a cruise, so it wasn't easy to make a lot of phone calls. I asked my mom to tell our immediate family members. I then emailed my best friends. We still had 8 more days of our cruise, and I honestly could not wait to tell people. 
  • Options
    Called our parents and siblings immediately after. Then we called my grandma because she is a a gossip and we knew that was the best way to spread the news throughout the aunts and uncles and other 'non social media people' 

I merely texted a picture of my hand to my close friends and FI sent a quick text to his BM who knew he was going to do it that night so he thought he should let him know that I said yes.

Late that night my mum texted us to let us know that sure enough all my aunts and uncles knew the news so the next morning before I headed to work we posted it on social media.
  • Options
    I'm NEY, but should it ever happen, probably I would give myself a day or so before I tell my parents. They and then my brother would be the first people I would tell. Then my best friends. After that, maybe I'll put it on social media.
  • Options
    I called my parents almost right after H proposed.  I also called my sister and close friend.  Apparently H had told almost everyone what he was planning on doing so everyone already knew before I did.  Then I don't know how, but it started to spread on FB, luckily after he proposed, so some people that I wanted to tell in person found out before I had that chance.  Oh well.

But there was no one I thought "ooh I should tell them last."

• Options
    My husband proposed by changing our FB statuses to engaged while I was asleep, so everyone knew before me.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    I called my aunt first, because she has always been very supportive and accept in when it comes to my friends. Since high school, I have hung out with punk kids who made my mom and other family members uncomfortable. My aunt has always allowed me to hang out at her house with friends, and never made a big deal over their appearances. 

When I started dating my now husband, he would come visit me on weekends, and my aunt allowed us to stay over at her house. My mom used to let me have guys over (guy friends as well as my now husband) but she quit doing that when she remarried, even though her husband's son was my age and his girlfriend moved in with us. I was 20 at this point, so it annoyed me to have rules changed on me. (I chose to not move out until I got my first college degree and started teaching.) My punk friends especially were not welcome over once my mom remarried. So, we would all go hang out at my aunt's house with my aunt and cousin. 

When I got engaged to my punk rock husband, it made sense to tell my aunt first. 
  • Options

DH proposed on Christmas, but we knew that once we started telling people that we'd be inundated with phone calls. So we just reveled in it by ourselves that evening.

The next morning I Facetime'd with my parents and changed my FB status. Then I went to work and told my co-workers. DH told his parents and sister later on in the week, but I don't remember when exactly. My parents told their extended family as she spoke to them.

I dunno, I didn't really specifically reach out to many people to tell them, because I just didn't see it as a big deal that's worthy of its own conversation.

• Options
    We don't exactly have any closeness with our families, so we didn't tell them first. I told the friends that I didn't think would react badly first, then posted it on facebook and sat back and watched people slowly realize that it wasn't a joking "facebook engagement". Then his sister found out and asked me about it, so i told her, and she told everyone. My family are the last to know.
  • Options
    My fiance gave his mom a heads up that he was asking but told her not to tell his dad because he's absent minded and might have let it slip to me before it happened. LOL! I called my parents right after it happened and then we went home to tell his dad. We called and texted other people after that.
  • Options
    First was definitely my mom. We're 3 months from the wedding and we are still telling people as we think of them or run into them.
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Options
    We called FI's grandparents first. We got engaged in the evening and wanted to let them know before they went to sleep that night! :) Then we called a few other family members on the way home to let my parents see the ring! 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    We kept the news to ourselves for almost 3 days. We were on our anniversary ski trip (our usual tradition) and since we were staying for two nights, we decided to announce it after the trip ended. We called our parents on the drive home. When we got back to the house, both BILs and their gfs were there hanging out (one BIL lives in the upstairs part of the house, we have the basement) so we just strolled in, chatted away, and I just held up my hand and say hey, so we got engaged!

We texted and called all other close friends the next day before posting it on FB. I had to beg my mom to not, so the second we did she started posting away.
    image Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    We told immediate family (parents/siblings/grandparents) the night he proposed with the promise to keep it quiet until the next evening where we posted it to facebook.
  • Options
    We became engaged on a beach vacation. I told my mom first, then my closest girl friend, and then my dad (my parents are divorced). I believe he told his parents around the same time. 

We didn't post anything on Facebook for several days because I wanted to tell several people personally, without them finding out through social media. The last person I told before "making it public" was my best guy friend.
  • Options

We told his parents right after (they knew it was happening) and my mom was out of the country at the time so a few minutes later we face timed her and I somewhat regretted it because she immediately started asking if we had a date and that I needed to call the photographer right away and if we wanted a specific venue we needed to call them...she's been pretty overwhelming during this process already.

My extended family was having a party that afternoon and I told my grandma who then told my grandpa that it needed to be announced to everyone. After they all found out we put it on Facebook.

• Options
    edited August 2015
    Most of our friends and family knew it was coming so it wasn't a big deal telling people
  • Options
    My parents, his mom and step dad, and our siblings all knew before I did lol. I knew it was coming, I just didn't know exactly when. His mom and brother were actually there. Our MOH and Best Man knew ahead of time, too, since they helped him plan it.

Afterwards, we sent pictures to some of our closest friends that knew in general that it was coming.

A few days later we told his grandmother. We sort of waited for her to notice the ring, lol. We had commented on a bottle of wine that was in her fridge unopened, and she said she didn't want to drink it alone. So I held it out a few minutes later and said that we might have a good reason to pop it open, and that's when she noticed the ring. She was very excited.

We video chatted with my grandma the next day and sort of did the same thing. I held up a Mickey Mouse hat we'd bought at Disney the day after we got engaged and made sure she saw the ring. When she noticed it, we flipped the hat around to show that it said "Just Engaged" on the back.

The grandmas were given permission to share the news with aunts and uncles and cousins.

We then got a hold of basically anyone who we plan to invite (we're having a small wedding, 50 or so guests) and told them directly.

His dad was actually the last person we told before announcing it online. We aren't very close with him to put it mildly, but I wanted him to know through us and not through Facebook (mostly for FI's sake than for being polite, bad as that sounds). We also knew his dad was most likely to spill the beans (and sure enough he posted it to Facebook even after we asked him not too. We managed to have it taken down quickly so no one saw, thank goodness).

We waited almost two weeks to post it on Facebook and other social media We got a few nice pictures of the ring and I made a little sign that says "I Said Yes!" and took pictures with that. I went through the photos his mom took of him proposing and edited our favorites and we put those up as well. We weren't in a hurry to share with the masses. The most important people knew, and it gave us a little time to sort of enjoy it on our own.

If you'd like to see pictures of the proposal and the ring, check out page 33 of the "Show off your ring" thread!
  • Options
    I had been getting texts from my family all day saying things like "Aren't you forgetting to tell us something??" but I had no idea he was about to propose! So I called my sisters RIGHT after he did and somehow they knew, even though he had only told his parents and they definitely didn't tell my family, they live states away and his parents are great secret keepers. My ten year-old sister had just been telling everyone he was going to propose and she ended up being right, it was so funny!
  • Options
    What a gorgeous picture!
  • Options
    We were out of town on a business trip/vacation so we called his parents followed by my parents. After reaching out to a couple friends directly we posted on social media and then put our phones away for the night!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards