Wedding Woes

laptop recs?

Don't even suggest Apple products - it won't happen. 

My 7-8ish year old laptop is on it's last legs. Operationally it works well, but the battery doesn't charge, so I need to be tethered to use it. Rather than buy a $100 battery (if i can even get one for that model) I'm going to just get a new computer. 

I mostly use it for photo editing and internet access, occasionally streaming and games. I'd like to be able to use it for MMORPG (I play Guild Wars 2 and Diablo 3) but I don't know if I feel like springing for an Alienware or higher end gaming laptop. I use my current laptop for a few hours each day, and it generally travels with me. 

I've been pretty loyal to Dell (laptop and desktop)/Alienware (desktop) in the past, but I'm willing to consider other brands.  

Re: laptop recs?

• I don't know from photo editing or gaming, but I have an HP Pavillion x2 (or so says my sticker). It's the one with a detachable screen that you can then use as a tablet? Which is amazeballs, as far as I'm concerned. I take it in the kitchen all the time for recipes. 

Got a returned one from the computer store, so I think it was around $700. Little heavy for taking places, but long battery life and a good keyboard. 

One thing: You'll want to get Windows10 already installed, if possible, because I've heard the conversion is just awful, and it's going to happen soon, so might as well just get it out of the way. 
  • thanks re: windows 10 - everything that I have looked at so far comes with 10. I got it free for my alienware desktop, but haven't converted because i was concerned re: compatibility. 
  • I just got a new laptop, a MSI which was a brand I had never heard of before I started doing a lot of research. Its great for gaming but doesn't come with as hefty of a price tag as alienware- depending on the model you get. I was loyal to Dell as well thanks to my fathers ability to get a discount but the last dell I got from them was total crap. The hinges broke, the first time was in just a few months so I was able to get it fixed, the second time the "repaired" hinge just locked in the down position and nothing I did would move it. The graphics card in that thing was also crap, wouldn't play ANY games that were less than 5 years older than the actual laptop. I had a Dell before it that was great, but now they have lost me as a customer. Sorry for the mini rant....
    When I was researching I went on the laptop recommendation Reddit forums, they can be a REALLY great help. Let them know what you find important and how much you can spend and they shoot straight with you. 
  • CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited December 2015
    DH got caught on the Toshiba site for daughter.  They have some super black friday deals.  $299?!

httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • *Barbie* said:
    thanks re: windows 10 - everything that I have looked at so far comes with 10. I got it free for my alienware desktop, but haven't converted because i was concerned re: compatibility. 
    I'll follow-up on this. I converted the desktop to Windows 10 with the free upgrade, and haven't had any issues.
  • *Barbie* said:
    *Barbie* said:
    thanks re: windows 10 - everything that I have looked at so far comes with 10. I got it free for my alienware desktop, but haven't converted because i was concerned re: compatibility. 
    I'll follow-up on this. I converted the desktop to Windows 10 with the free upgrade, and haven't had any issues.

I just converted to Windows 10... So far the worst of it was it taking absolutely forever, then it took explorer off of the toolbar, but otherwise no major interruptions...
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards