Outdoor Weddings

Am I crazy for having an outdoor ceremony in August in Dallas?

The venue said they would keep everyone inside until we are ready to start the ceremony.  We would also have fan programs and bottled water.  It will also be more on the casual side, no tuxs or suits.  The reception will be inside.  Am I crazy?

Best Answer

Answers

• The venue said they would keep everyone inside until we are ready to start the ceremony.  We would also have fan programs and bottled water.  It will also be more on the casual side, no tuxs or suits.  The reception will be inside.  Am I crazy?
    @Knottie1449252021

I don't think you're crazy. Just make sure anyone invited will be well aware that it is an outdoor ceremony. I like your idea of providing fans and water. Also remember, most people will probably think to bring something to drink themselves as well.
  • If it's going to be above about 75 degrees, you should have your wedding indoors. It is not okay to make people roast.
  • Personally, yes, I think that's crazy. Your guests' comfort should be your first priority, not your vision of having an outdoor wedding. 

I've had to deal with being a guest at two extremes: an outdoor ceremony in July and an outdoor wedding at the end of November in NY. Both were utterly miserable. 
  • If the temperature is above about 75 degrees F that day, then yes.

Not only that, it can get very windy in Dallas.  And your guests will need protection from insects as well.

Have a Plan B ready in case you need it.
  • I went to Dallas in July for a few days. They were some of the worst few days of my life, comfort-wise. This was over 10 years ago and I can still remember how awful and oppressive the heat was. I'm from Virginia so I'm no stranger to 95 degrees with 90% humidity, but this was something truly special.

If I were not in the WP or a sibling, I would decline the invitation. They don't call them the "dog days of August" for no reason.

You could be wearing 10 or 20 pounds of dress depending on the style you choose. That sounds like a recipe for fainting or sweating really badly from face, pits, back, everywhere. Not something I'd want witnessed or especially photographed.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I went to an outdoor wedding in October in Texas and because it was above 75 the guests were all miserable. While waiting the 5 minutes it took after every took their seats for the wedding to start all the women were complaining about how sweaty they were, some of the older guests had to use an umbrella to block the sun and I felt really bad for them. We couldn't wait to get out of the sun, it was pretty miserable. 
  • I live in MD and would never consider having an outdoor wedding in August, let alone one in Dallas in August.  I mean come on.  Is it really that important that you get married outside?  Do you really want to look like a melting bride?

• Don't do this to your guests.  

• Back when  I lived in Texas.  One summer the temperature at NIGHT didn't dip below 97 degrees.          Is it like that all the time? No, not at all.  However, no way would I consider a outside wedding in August in Texas. 

I good percentage of our club members are from Texas.  If they all leave to come to CO, I think it's safe to say it's too hot for an outdoor wedding. 

One of our friends was in an outdoor wedding in Texas in June.   He said 2 people passed out.  He says it was the worse wedding he had ever been in.  

Don't make that what people take back from your wedding.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • I'm a native Texan. I avoid the outdoors during the summer as much as possible unless I'm on the lake. We went to a wedding in Ft Worth in June ... we mingled inside before it started, we also had fans and water. I could feel the sweat accumulating at the small of my back. The groomsmen wore slacks & a button down shirt with the sleeves rolled up to mid-forearm. One of them nearly passed out.

Please don't do this.
  • Any idea that starts off with the basic concept of "My venue will contain my guests in an acceptable surrounding before they are unleashed to endure what should be a happy, positive occasion in sweltering miserable heat because it would be too miserable for them to stand outside for any longer than that..." is a bad idea.  Cause that's basically what you said.
  • I live in CT and there was no way my August wedding was going to be outside.  If it was, we would have had an air conditioned tented reception - and if I wanted to do that I would have just had it inside.

Please don't do this.   Your guests will thank you for an air conditioned venue. 
  • The venue said they would keep everyone inside until we are ready to start the ceremony.  We would also have fan programs and bottled water.  It will also be more on the casual side, no tuxs or suits.  The reception will be inside.  Am I crazy?
    Yes.

• hlvonb said:
    The venue said they would keep everyone inside until we are ready to start the ceremony.  We would also have fan programs and bottled water.  It will also be more on the casual side, no tuxs or suits.  The reception will be inside.  Am I crazy?
    @Knottie1449252021

I don't think you're crazy. Just make sure anyone invited will be well aware that it is an outdoor ceremony. I like your idea of providing fans and water. Also remember, most people will probably think to bring something to drink themselves as well.
    I have never brought my own drink to someone's wedding. OP, if your venue offers you a back up plan in case of a too-hot day, go for it. This is assuming some days in August in Dallas are mild, otherwise no point in even trying. 
  • edited December 2015
    I went to an outdoor wedding in Mid-June in Missouri and it was miserable hot, even with water and fan programs. I cannot imagine how much more uncomfortable August in Texas would be. As PP's have said, if it is over 75, please don't do this to people.

*etf words
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• I don't think OP is coming back...
  • hlvonb said:
    @Knottie1449252021

Wut?  I've never thought to bring a beverage to anyone's wedding ever.  And I don't think I've ever seen anyone bring something to drink to someone's wedding.  Maybe some people do this because they get dehydrated easily, but I certainly don't think it's safe to assume that really anybody would think to do this.

We attended an outdoor ceremony in July in New Hampshire and it was pure misery.  The chairs were in direct sunlight, the ceremony started late, and I completely sweat through my dress.  My makeup was gone shortly after and I just felt so gross for the rest of the night (even though everything else was inside in the A/C).  So gross.  

Please don't make your guests miserable because you want to have a beautiful outdoor ceremony.  We wanted one too, and it was a huge reason we picked our venue.  It ended up being 55 degrees and we narrowly missed a hurricane that weekend (10/3) so we had to have it inside even though it didn't actually rain that afternoon, because I knew guests would be totally mis in the chilly, cloudy weather.  Our wedding was still awesome.  Just don't.

• hlvonb said:
    @Knottie1449252021

If that's the case, I would decline.
  • H and I planned an outdoor ceremony in August in northern Montana and it was too hot that day to get married outside. In Montana.

I mean, I guess you can try to hope for some freak cold spell, but that's extremely unlikely.

Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • H and I planned an outdoor ceremony in August in northern Montana and it was too hot that day to get married outside. In Montana.

I mean, I guess you can try to hope for some freak cold spell, but that's extremely unlikely.

A freak cold spell in Texas in August means it's 95 degrees outside in the shade.

A freak cold spell in Texas in August means it's 95 degrees outside in the shade.

I was talking like, mega freak. Like, Chicago's forecast for this weekend is nearly 60. I recall the same weekend a few years ago it was zero. Windchill was lower.
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever

I was talking like, mega freak. Like, Chicago's forecast for this weekend is nearly 60. I recall the same weekend a few years ago it was zero. Windchill was lower.
    Around here in August that is a mega freak ;) 
    But I do hear ya.  I remember we had flurries in mid-December 2009.  Today it's 75.  

• All the proof you need to not have an outdoor ceremony in Dallas in August:

http://www.accuweather.com/en/us/dallas-tx/75202/august-weather/351194

I love my winters, but it has been incredible here this week!  I've had students show up in shorts.  It has been great for running all my Christmas errands, darting in and out of stores versus having to hit the crazy malls to avoid weather.  However, it makes it harder for me to "get into the spirit" because it feels so balmy! 

Unfortunately, in Chicago weather trends, history shows that right after a streak of freakishly warm winter weather, we tend to get clobbered with a snow storm!
  • General rule of thumb: never, ever have an outdoor wedding (a) in the summer in the south or (b) in the winter in the north. If you want to have an outdoor wedding in the summer in the north, maybe, but only if it's 70 or above. If you want to have an outdoor wedding in the summer in the south, fine if it's Florida or south Texas where it's 70 degrees in January. Otherwise, weddings should be indoors.

Why don't you move the date of your wedding? You could have an October or late September wedding and probably get away with doing it outdoors without making your guests uncomfortable.
  • General rule of thumb: never, ever have an outdoor wedding (a) in the summer in the south or (b) in the winter in the north. If you want to have an outdoor wedding in the summer in the north, maybe, but only if it's 70 or above. If you want to have an outdoor wedding in the summer in the south, fine if it's Florida or south Texas where it's 70 degrees in January. Otherwise, weddings should be indoors.

Why don't you move the date of your wedding? You could have an October or late September wedding and probably get away with doing it outdoors without making your guests uncomfortable.
    We are in Southern Ontario, North of the States and in August it can be bloody hot! 40*C+ with 100% humidity making it feel like 45-50*C (104 - 113 to 122*F) so North is not necessarily better. This is more a, know your environment. 

Just an aside, I have a coworker who moved out here from out west (Alberta) and she was marvelling that all the houses she and her husband looked at had central air. I told her that come summer, she would be very grateful for that central air. She was appalled by the humidity her first summer here.

We are in Southern Ontario, North of the States and in August it can be bloody hot! 40*C+ with 100% humidity making it feel like 45-50*C (104 - 113 to 122*F) so North is not necessarily better. This is more a, know your environment. 

Just an aside, I have a coworker who moved out here from out west (Alberta) and she was marvelling that all the houses she and her husband looked at had central air. I told her that come summer, she would be very grateful for that central air. She was appalled by the humidity her first summer here.
    Which is why I said IF it's less than 70. I was born and raised in Maine and we had cool summer days at times. They weren't too often, but we had them.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards