Outdoor Weddings

The police only came twice...

I just had my wedding. Years of planning and spending and prepping and nothing went as planned but it was still perfect. It was a 150 person wedding outdoors at a little cottage area. We rented the cottages all out to family and friends and then there was a big barn and dance floor and tent for the main event. I work in local music so the music was very important to me and before we even looked at the venue I made sure they would accommodate a full band and was told it would not be a problem. The contract I have with the venue said they would be in charge of all the licensing and permits. it also stated that there would be a barn that would serve as a common area and there was a fridge coffee maker and what not in it. and a water feature all to be completed by 8/15 and my wedding was 9/12. the barn was not done and my welcome letters that I left in all the rooms of the guest listed the barn as the center of everything and that food and breakfast stuff would all be in the fridge in the barn. the barn was a big construction zone all weekend and she told us we were lucky it was completed in time. I could not care less about the water feature not being completed but they still put it out and it was running and was just kind of weird.

I arrived from the ceremony at the beach, to the reception at 4 in the afternoon. I had a cocktail hour musician playing the guitar and singing and the police were waiting for me when I got there due to a noise complaint. I called the owner of the cabins over and the police asked if she had a permit or a license, she didn't. the cop was very nice and didn't want to ruin my wedding and left. Shift change: new cop shows up about 7:30. I go to tell the cottage lady they are back, she told me the music was to much and they were measuring the dbs. I work in sound, it was the lowest I have ever heard a 5 piece band play!!! I didn't argue with her when she shut down my band 2 and a half hours early. the 2000 band that only played for 2 hours!!! The women that owned the cottages, whom I thought would act as wedding planner helper, did nothing. she wouldn't even show my father where to plug in the coffee pot because she was not paid for coffee service!!! her 14 year old daughter was very help and did help my dad plug the coffee pot in and the next day before I left I made sure to give the daughter a sizable tip. the mother was just rude and difficult all weekend. my niece blew the breaker in cabin and instead of just fixing it, the cabin owner told her it was her fault and she had a faulty hair dryer. she yelled at a number of my guest... I could go on for hours. My husband says just leave it alone and if we start picking at things she will start picking back and says we broke a door handle on a cabin or something. I don't even want money back, its just the fact that; to me that was the most important day of my life and I put more work into that day then I have anything ever, and in the long run it was all fine and none of it mattered but she didn't even apologize for everything, she said it was leaning experience for her. so glad the most important and expensive day of my life was a good learning experience for you. so glad we literally worked day and night 7 days a week to pay for your leaning experience...

I don't know what to do cause she is soooo unpleasant to deal with and if I say something it will open a big can of worms. I'm sure. but how can I knot (hahah knot!!! sorry.)

Re: The police only came twice...

• I just had my wedding. Years of planning and spending and prepping and nothing went as planned but it was still perfect. It was a 150 person wedding outdoors at a little cottage area. We rented the cottages all out to family and friends and then there was a big barn and dance floor and tent for the main event. I work in local music so the music was very important to me and before we even looked at the venue I made sure they would accommodate a full band and was told it would not be a problem. The contract I have with the venue said they would be in charge of all the licensing and permits. it also stated that there would be a barn that would serve as a common area and there was a fridge coffee maker and what not in it. and a water feature all to be completed by 8/15 and my wedding was 9/12. the barn was not done and my welcome letters that I left in all the rooms of the guest listed the barn as the center of everything and that food and breakfast stuff would all be in the fridge in the barn. the barn was a big construction zone all weekend and she told us we were lucky it was completed in time. I could not care less about the water feature not being completed but they still put it out and it was running and was just kind of weird.

I arrived from the ceremony at the beach, to the reception at 4 in the afternoon. I had a cocktail hour musician playing the guitar and singing and the police were waiting for me when I got there due to a noise complaint. I called the owner of the cabins over and the police asked if she had a permit or a license, she didn't. the cop was very nice and didn't want to ruin my wedding and left. Shift change: new cop shows up about 7:30. I go to tell the cottage lady they are back, she told me the music was to much and they were measuring the dbs. I work in sound, it was the lowest I have ever heard a 5 piece band play!!! I didn't argue with her when she shut down my band 2 and a half hours early. the 2000 band that only played for 2 hours!!! The women that owned the cottages, whom I thought would act as wedding planner helper, did nothing. she wouldn't even show my father where to plug in the coffee pot because she was not paid for coffee service!!! her 14 year old daughter was very help and did help my dad plug the coffee pot in and the next day before I left I made sure to give the daughter a sizable tip. the mother was just rude and difficult all weekend. my niece blew the breaker in cabin and instead of just fixing it, the cabin owner told her it was her fault and she had a faulty hair dryer. she yelled at a number of my guest... I could go on for hours. My husband says just leave it alone and if we start picking at things she will start picking back and says we broke a door handle on a cabin or something. I don't even want money back, its just the fact that; to me that was the most important day of my life and I put more work into that day then I have anything ever, and in the long run it was all fine and none of it mattered but she didn't even apologize for everything, she said it was leaning experience for her. so glad the most important and expensive day of my life was a good learning experience for you. so glad we literally worked day and night 7 days a week to pay for your leaning experience...

I don't know what to do cause she is soooo unpleasant to deal with and if I say something it will open a big can of worms. I'm sure. but how can I knot (hahah knot!!! sorry.)

Wow. Sounds pretty crazy - good for you for having such a good attitude about it. I wouldn't do or say anything and just move on with your (now married!!) life. I'd expect that trying to talk to her would only make it worse and piss you off. 

Congratulations on being married - you're right that that is all that matters.
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  •  That just made me nervous! But thank God all worked out well in the long run. I agree with the other Knottie, don't say anything to her BUT if you want to write a review of the place, I would suggest that; warn others about what to expect if they happen to ever do business with a place like this :)

~ K

• Congratulations on your marriage!

Sounds like some strong contenders for future stories to laugh about with your family (maybe a few years down the line, I'm sure!). Sorry you had some crazy things happen, you seem quite calm about it so your husband has the right plan to just leave it and get on with your married life. If you don't feel like you are due to be compensated then there doesn't seem like much to be gained.

• You attitude is awesome. I don't know that I would be able to be so forgiving. The fact is you had a contract and she violated it. You are potentially due some compensation for what she did not deliver on, specifically failing to secure permits and the barn. The one thing you should definitely do though is write a review. I know I read every venue review on every website twice before coming up with a list of places to go see. Please share your experience with others so they know what to expect. Forewarned is forearmed! 
    Congrats on your marriage!
  • You attitude is awesome. I don't know that I would be able to be so forgiving. The fact is you had a contract and she violated it. You are potentially due some compensation for what she did not deliver on, specifically failing to secure permits and the barn. The one thing you should definitely do though is write a review. I know I read every venue review on every website twice before coming up with a list of places to go see. Please share your experience with others so they know what to expect. Forewarned is forearmed! 
    Congrats on your marriage!

I agree with the bolded. A review would be helpful to future couples in choosing venues.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards