Favors

Fleece Blankets as Favours?

Hi all!
Our wedding is next October, and it'll be semi-outdoor, with the reception mostly taking place in a heated barn.  We really want to do fleece blankets as wedding favours, so guests can keep warm if it's chilly and I think it's a nice thing to take home that won't end up in the trash.  We are thinking about the possibility of having them embroidered, but we don't want to go crazy with budget.  
First, does anyone have a good company that sells fleece blankets wholesale for a reasonable price?  The lowest i've found is a case of 36 for $180 plus $130 shipping, which isn't too bad, but unfortunately we need about 50 blankets to make sure every couple gets one, and they can't split cases, so that's a dilemma.
Wondering what your thoughts are on blankets as a favour, and any suggestions you have!  
Thanks in advance!
Daisypath Wedding tickers

Re: Fleece Blankets as Favours?

• Agree with @leviosaa  ... in what part of the country will the wedding be?  How cold are we talking about here?
  • Also, if each couple is only getting one do you expect them to share it when/if they need to? Is it big enough to fit 2 people?

I wouldn't mind a nice fleece blanket as a favor; we're blanket people and always have 1 or 2 on our couch. However, what are you wanting to embroider? I would keep it simple and perhaps just incorporate your wedding colors (with no embroidery). Also, $310 for 36 blankets really seems like a lot just for favors, but if you have that factored into your budget and are good to go, then I think it could be a nice option.
  • If your guests need blankets to keep warm during your wedding, you are doing something wrong. Also, are couples supposed to share a fleece blanket?!
  • Also, do ALL your couples live together?  You don't have any dating or engaged couples invited who don't live together?  Any kids invited - do they just not get favors?  Are you extending plus ones to anyone?

Personally, I'm of the camp that if you give me blanket to survive your wedding it's too cold to be outdoors.  Also, I don't want a cheap fleece blanket in colors that don't go with my décor and I especially don't want ones embroidered with someone else's wedding information on them.  I have lots of blankets already.  And what would everyone at your wedding being doing that requires them to be cold and outside for extended periods of time?  My friend had a "semi-outdoor" wedding in September (warm in the afternoon, a little chilly in the evening) - bar and band was inside a barn, dinner, dance floor, and DJ was outside in a tent.  At most I was outside to go between the two, but even when I was outside (in the tent) I was dancing my butt off and sweating - I didn't need a blanket.  If anything, enclosed spaces with lots of people in them tend to get warmer than you expect (I recently attended a wedding in a pavilion that had open sides (that mostly closed, but some where open) and everyone was roasting inside even though it was 45 degrees out. 

I say if you really anticipate that some people will need them (like maybe your grandma who is always cold), have a stack next to bar for people to grab as needed and then donate them to a homeless shelter after the wedding (or animal shelter - they are always looking for blankets and other things for the animals to cuddle with).  Then get a favor per person that has mass appeal.

• edited December 2015
    I didn't mean that people would need blankets to survive the weather - haha! I just thought it would be fitting with our cozy fall theme.  We're only having 60 guests, so 50 blankets will be more than enough.  I was just thinking that couples who do live together won't want to take home two blankets, as I wouldn't if it were me.  50 will ensure singles each get one as well.  Clearly I'm Canadian (I spelled it favours), so it will most likely be typical northern fall weather outside, "sweater weather," once the sun goes down, but by then everyone will be in the barn which will be plenty warm.
  • edited December 2015
    We're also not having kids at the wedding - mostly because no one we're inviting has kids old enough to make it through a wedding anyway! It'll be adults only - the guests know this already.
  • I didn't mean that people would need blankets to survive the weather - haha! I just thought it would be fitting with our cozy fall theme.  We're only having 60 guests, so 50 blankets will be more than enough.  I was just thinking that couples who do live together won't want to take home two blankets, as I wouldn't if it were me.  50 will ensure singles each get one as well.  Clearly I'm Canadian (I spelled it favours), so it will most likely be typical northern fall weather outside, "sweater weather," once the sun goes down, but by then everyone will be in the barn which will be plenty warm.
    We're also not having kids at the wedding - mostly because no one we're inviting has kids old enough to make it through a wedding anyway! It'll be adults only - the guests know this already.
    I'm thinking if you're Canada it will definitely be too cold for an outdoor ceremony.  I live in Southern California, known for it's mild, lame winters, but still can be too cold for anything outdoors in the late afternoon/evening.  Replace the favors with having your ceremony indoors.  I promise your guests will appreciate it more than the blankets.  

• edited December 2015
    We're more than used to a little brisk air up here, I'm definitely not concerned about the temperature.  Our ceremony isn't a long one anyway, and then people can wander wherever they'd like to start eating and drinking.  We also have a screened in lounge hut with comfy furniture in it next to the barn, so I thought that would be a great place to take a blanket, get a cup of spiked hot apple cider and cozy up during cocktail hour.  I'm confident the temp will be more than comfortable enough to be outside - we had a bbq engagement party in our backyard 2 weeks ago, and it was late November ;) 
    Of course, the barn will always be open so plan B if there's a freak cold front, we can hang out in there no problem.
  • Back to the blanket idea, what I'm getting from this is no embroidery, and make sure blankets are a neutral colour so they potentially match people's home decor - our wedding colours are oxblood and champagne so that won't be a problem.  You've given me the idea of simply having blankets available for those who think it'll be nice to have one, but not making them a favour for everyone. 
  • We're more than used to a little brisk air up here, I'm definitely not concerned about the temperature.  Our ceremony isn't a long one anyway, and then people can wander wherever they'd like to start eating and drinking.  We also have a screened in lounge hut with comfy furniture in it next to the barn, so I thought that would be a great place to take a blanket, get a cup of spiked hot apple cider and cozy up during cocktail hour.  I'm confident the temp will be more than comfortable enough to be outside - we had a bbq engagement party in our backyard 2 weeks ago, and it was late November ;) 
    Of course, the barn will always be open so plan B if there's a freak cold front, we can hang out in there no problem.
    Back to the blanket idea, what I'm getting from this is no embroidery, and make sure blankets are a neutral colour so they potentially match people's home decor - our wedding colours are oxblood and champagne so that won't be a problem.  You've given me the idea of simply having blankets available for those who think it'll be nice to have one, but not making them a favour for everyone. 
    No, what you're getting from us is that an outdoor ceremony in October in Canada is a bad idea and rude.  You're choosing to place your vision over your guest's comfort.  Just have the wedding indoors and everybody wins.  

• lembasloverlembaslover member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment First Answer
    edited December 2015
    I had blankets for our October Outdoor wedding, some people used them and took them, others didn't want/need them. They weren't favors I got them from Ikea and they were gray and white and were about $2 ea. They had some other plain color ones for $3 ea. 

I think it's a nice idea and it's not that you're subjecting your guests to below freezing temperatures. Honestly if it's below 80 degrees I have a blanket on at home and if it's above 50 degrees my husband is wearing shorts. Temperature is different for everyone so I will always appreciate a blanket and there are some people like me and others who don't need one like ever.

Obviously make sure you have a plan B in case it's too cold or snows or rains but it doesn't hurt to have a few blankets for people who'd like them. Ours were appreciated. We had 1 for every 2 guests and a couple weren't used and we had a few left behind that i now use for sporting events because I really don't care if someone dumps beer or ketchup on a $2 blanket, i'll just leave it behind. Or if you have too many left animal shelters are always on the lookout for blankets and I'm sure homeless shelters are too.

ETA: Just wanted to add we also had large heaters set up outside so the ceremony seating was kept warm. The reception was inside a heat controlled tent but they kept the heaters outside and some guests went out and mingled by the heaters. I myself did and I'm always cold and was fine. If you're worried about temperature see if your venue has outdoor heaters or perhaps you can purchase or rent some. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2015
    I've lived my whole life in NY. I'm very used to snow and cold temps. I just attended an outdoor ceremony last month. It's been very mild here, and temps were in the 50s. I knew the ceremony was outdoor, so I dressed appropriately in layers. And I was still cold. And it sucked. And I really wish that the B&G had thought of their guests' comfort when planning this event. 
  • Definitely no embroidery.
  • Definitely no embroidery.  And I'd say to just have a bunch of them available for people who want them (with a note saying that they are welcome to take them home).  Maybe put a basket of them by the barn door and/or at the screened lounge area.  You are probably fine with doing around 1 for every 2 guests. Not all guests will choose to take one. So, if you order from that place, I'd say that one batch of 36 should be fine. 

• levioosa said:

We're more than used to a little brisk air up here, I'm definitely not concerned about the temperature.  Our ceremony isn't a long one anyway, and then people can wander wherever they'd like to start eating and drinking.  We also have a screened in lounge hut with comfy furniture in it next to the barn, so I thought that would be a great place to take a blanket, get a cup of spiked hot apple cider and cozy up during cocktail hour.  I'm confident the temp will be more than comfortable enough to be outside - we had a bbq engagement party in our backyard 2 weeks ago, and it was late November ;) 

Back to the blanket idea, what I'm getting from this is no embroidery, and make sure blankets are a neutral colour so they potentially match people's home decor - our wedding colours are oxblood and champagne so that won't be a problem.  You've given me the idea of simply having blankets available for those who think it'll be nice to have one, but not making them a favour for everyone. 

No, what you're getting from us is that an outdoor ceremony in October in Canada is a bad idea and rude.  You're choosing to place your vision over your guest's comfort.  Just have the wedding indoors and everybody wins.  

OP clearly said she has a heated barn as her back-up in case it actually is too cold to be outside, and will have that heated barn all night no matter what. There's nothing rude about planning part of a wedding outdoors when the weather is iffy - as long as there's a back-up, and the couple has no problem using it if it's cold. She and her FI seem to be doing this right. 

For me, I love fleece blankets. This is a favor I'd actually like and bring home.

Thanks, this is what I'm trying to get across. I guess I should've said from the beginning that the blankets aren't meant to be a necessity, just a cozy, cute idea that may or may not get used. I brought a shawl to a friend's wedding I attended in July when it was super hot out, and I still ended up wrapping it around my shoulders when the sun went down. It's just nice to have an extra layer sometimes. Our whole wedding is going to have a family gathering feel and I want people to be comfy and relaxed, so I thought it was fitting. We will absolutely be getting married inside if the weather is too cold, I definitely don't want to be freezing my ass off while saying my vows (it's pretty funny that this wasn't obvious, I don't know who would choose to do that!)

Thanks for the feedback so far though for those of you who focused on answering my actual question about blankets. You've definitely made me rethink how I'm going to include this idea in the wedding.
  • Hi all!
    Our wedding is next October, and it'll be semi-outdoor, with the reception mostly taking place in a heated barn.  We really want to do fleece blankets as wedding favours, so guests can keep warm if it's chilly and I think it's a nice thing to take home that won't end up in the trash.  We are thinking about the possibility of having them embroidered, but we don't want to go crazy with budget.  
    First, does anyone have a good company that sells fleece blankets wholesale for a reasonable price?  The lowest i've found is a case of 36 for $180 plus $130 shipping, which isn't too bad, but unfortunately we need about 50 blankets to make sure every couple gets one, and they can't split cases, so that's a dilemma.
    Wondering what your thoughts are on blankets as a favour, and any suggestions you have!  
    Thanks in advance!
    The bolded leaves one to believe that you're providing the blankets so guests can keep warm. We can only give advice based on the information provided. 
  • This is a know your own crowd type thing.   I like blankets. I do not like $5 blankets.   I'm a snob that way(dh is even picker).  I have a shit ton of blankets already. If you do not care what people do with them, then go for it I guess. (I like the idea of donating them to a shelter if they are not used).

$130 in shipping  on a $180 order seems excessive to me.  That could be your location Canada, but damn.  Shipping alone would have me looking at other options.

I've worked weddings who had things like pashminas and such.   More than half are never taken.  They ended up going to the staff because the couples often left them behind too.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • lyndausvi said:

This is a know your own crowd type thing.   I like blankets. I do not like $5 blankets.   I'm a snob that way(dh is even picker).  I have a shit ton of blankets already. If you do not care what people do with them, then go for it I guess. (I like the idea of donating them to a shelter if they are not used).

$130 in shipping  on a $180 order seems excessive to me.  That could be your location Canada, but damn.  Shipping alone would have me looking at other options.

I've worked weddings who had things like pashminas and such.   More than half are never taken.  They ended up going to the staff because the couples often left them behind too.

I agree that the price for shipping is crazy, and it's definitely due to location. I was thinking about pashminas as well, but blankets seemed a more gender-neutral option.
    I think you're right that I can go pretty conservative with the number I have available.
  • Oh we had the unheated barn in Indiana for a wedding the weekend before Halloween and the outdoor ceremony in Northern Michigan in January with a "hot chocolate bar only" reception over the past few months, so sadly, no it's not obvious.
    eek, that's unfortunate...
  • I like the idea. It's different. And if people don't want to take them, you can keep them, or donate them to a shelter of some sort, or then gift them throughout the year, etc.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• I know everyone loves edible favors, but I love fleece blankets and can never have too many. I'd love this. Definitely no embroidery, though!

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• hellohkb said:
    I know everyone loves edible favors, but I love fleece blankets and can never have too many. I'd love this. Definitely no embroidery, though!
    Agreed!  I'm just now realizing that it's pretty weird that someone would have a blanket on their couch with our initials/wedding date on it!  I think I'll go with the blankets as optional favours (not get too many of them) and just tie them up with some twine and a monogrammed tag or something.  Thanks!

• Oh we had the unheated barn in Indiana for a wedding the weekend before Halloween and the outdoor ceremony in Northern Michigan in January with a "hot chocolate bar only" reception over the past few months, so sadly, no it's not obvious.

Ugh - you had to remind us...  Those special snowflakes!!

OP - IMO, for those prices you're cheaper to purchase fleece by the yard and cut them into strips yourself.  Instead of favors, I'd spend that money on a site that is fully heated because coming from Minnesota - October can be all over the map - we had 90 degrees and bugs, and there were years that we were skiing by the 15th, and as a guest it SUCKS to be cold!!!! (Anything below 50 is cold that time of year)... 

• If you go the route of blankets, from a guest point of view, please don't put anything on them. I'll enjoy it more if your name & wedding date isn't on it. This way depending on how or where I want to use it, it will fit in anywhere
  • hellohkb said:
    I know everyone loves edible favors, but I love fleece blankets and can never have too many. I'd love this. Definitely no embroidery, though!
    Ditto this. I'm always cold and can never have too many blankets.
  • I'm cool with an October wedding, as long as you do actually have a heated venue. 

I am also cool with fleece blankets as optional favours. I mean, favours are always optional, so people could take them or leave them. Perhaps a basket or two with the blankets around the venue- by the bar or on the way out to the veranda. The price you have quoted does sound expensive! I feel you could probably find fleece blankets cheaper..... 

I agree with no embroidery. I'm less picky on colours, but I'd put the blanket away in the closet when not in use, so I care less if it matches my decor. Although bonus if it did. 
  • We are having an October wedding as well! I bought pieces of fleece from the local fabric store and made a bunch of blankets with 2 pieces of fleece, cut the edges, and tied them together in a bunch of knots along the side. Our ceremony is at 3pm and it's typically still pretty warm on October 1st so I am not worried about the majority of our guests being chilly for the ceremony-the blankets are more of a just-in-case kind of thing. It was definitely cheaper to buy the fleece and make a few tie-blankets than trying to buy them! Depends on where you live/where you buy the fleece though :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards