Registry and Gift Forum
Options

china...is it worth it?

so my mom almost insists i register for china. china is beautiful and everything, but the FI and i live in a small townhome. we'll probably move into a bigger home, sure, but i don't know about using most of our registry items on a set of china i might use twice a year. has anyone put it on there and regretted it, or put it on there and been glad they did? 

Re: china...is it worth it?

• Options
    lyndausvilyndausvi mod
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited July 2015
    We didn't registry for china.   I already had xmas china.

DH insisted on plain white tableware.  Non-negotiable for him.  That is what we got and that is what we use.

ETA - my parents, brother and sister use their china pretty often.  My other brother never does.   It really depends on how you see yourself entertaining (even if it might be a few years down the road if you do not already have a house).

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    We entertain fairly often, and are taking over the Thanksgiving hosting duties.  We also live in our "30 year" home so we do have the room to store things.  However, we did not register for china.  When we do entertain, it's pretty casual, and even Thanksgiving dinner is more on the casual side.  We ended up registering for these dishes: http://www.crateandbarrel.com/graeden-16-piece-dinnerware-set/s335924

They're nicer than our everyday, but still not so "precious" that I wouldn't want to use them.  Plus I hated the idea of having to handwash 16 place settings of china after a Thanksgiving dinner.
    Married 9.12.15
  • Options
    We skipped the china because it would have been used only once or twice a year and I didn't want to waste storage space on it because I have tons of kitchen stuff I actually use already. Instead we registered for and received a Corelle set of 8 place settings plus an additional 8 dinner plates. We absolutely love our new plates and don't have to worry about chips or breaking like with our previous heavy stoneware sets. We use the Corelle when we host holidays or dinners too. It is just more practical for our lifestyle. My mom still has her china she registered for and never uses it.
  • Options
    Fine china goes in and out of fashion.  In the 1970s, all my friends were registering for modern stoneware.  They regretted it because it chips so easily.
    I registered for a popular pattern of Wedgwood china that is still being made.  Over the years, I have expanded my service.  When my ladies clubs come, I use it for tea and coffee.  Thanksgiving and Christmas dinners, of course.  People always notice it.
    I do regret the expensive crystal stemware.  No one ever notices it, and it is horribly expensive!  I might sell it one of these days.
    I bought my daughter a set of china for $7 in a garage sale.  She uses it when she entertains.  She took my mother's crystal from 1947.  They have large family dinners often.
    Right now, people will want to give you something special for a wedding present.  They will never feel this way again.  It is your chance to get some special things, like fine china.  You can always buy your set of Corelle at Walmart.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Options
    We didn't register for china.  I already was given my Nanny's china after she passed.  We did register for nice everyday dishware.  I have used my Nan's china set once in the past 4+ years while I use my nice everyday dishes, well everyday.

Honestly, I would register for a nice set of white dishes before I would ever register for china.  A nice, full set of white dishes will never go out of style or look dated.  And they are good for any time of year.

• Options
    We registered for china and we use it whenever we have friends over, probably once a month, plus holidays and when we are feeling fancy. China is sturdier than stone or ceramic so you can use it for everyday if you wish. In my experience, people like giving it, so if you register for it, you'll probably get it.
  • Options
    I loved picking out china!  We're moving to a larger house soon and I can't wait to have enough room to get out my fancy dishes and glasses :)  I also agree with Liatris that ppl like buying china - I got all but one set!
  • Options
    We received china.  We use it on special occasions (and some ordinary occasions too!).  No regrets on getting it.  Most of the time we use our plain white dishes though - love them!  Really, it's up to you and what you'll use.  
  • Options
    I considered registering for fancy china, but I couldn't get over the prices and I knew that there is no way that with our small guest list and their normal gift giving behaviors that it wouldn't work.

What I did was register for Macy's Hotel Collection bone china and then stainless steel chargers from Crate and Barrel.  Even with the frequent sales NO ONE bought any of the china but we did get most of the chargers.  I used gift cards and registry completion discounts to get the china (16 place settings) and the chargers (12).  They look beautiful when we use them together and the simple bone china is durable for every day use and can go in the microwave and the dishwasher.  We have been using them daily for a year and a half with no scratches or chips.
    photo composite_14153800476219.jpg
  • Options
    We registered for it and have 15 place settings. I love that we have a classic pattern that's ours and we use it a few tunes a year. I also have the Lenox holiday pattern that I love.

It's all about what you know you'll do. I love having family holidays and using the good stuff and crystal.
  • Options
    The problem with china in the dishwasher is only if you have a gold or platinum ring on the edge of your pattern.  This will come off with frequent runs through the dishwasher. Otherwise, it is more durable than pottery.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Options
    I already had Lenox (service for 12) and Gorham (Christmas pattern, service for 16) before DH and I got married. Our place is pretty small so we didn't really have occasion to use our china until this past Thanksgiving, but I have to say, we felt pretty darn grown up. Our sets are dishwasher and microwave safe (except the accent plates because they have a platinum rim). 

That being said, had we not already had china, I probably still would not have registered for it because I know we wouldn't use it very much before we buy a house. I would have likely registered for a slightly nicer every day set and then scoped out where the nearest Lenox warehouse and outlet were because they put stuff on super ridiculous sale (my china set was under $300, not counting the serving pieces).
    ~*~*~*~*~

• Options
    I have Christmas china which can be used at Thanksgiving too (its snowman patterned, so more "winter" than Christmas), and we're getting my parents wedding china.

I wouldn't have registered for china, even if my parents didn't give me theirs. We entertain alot, but I would likely have found a nice, somewhat cheaper place setting. 
  • Options
    We just bought china, to replace our regular dishes actually which were getting old and chipping.  We didn't register during our wedding.  Ours is really pretty, but still seems casual enough to use every day, so we live the high life now, eating meatballs on the couch off of bone china

• Options
    We just bought china, to replace our regular dishes actually which were getting old and chipping.  We didn't register during our wedding.  Ours is really pretty, but still seems casual enough to use every day, so we live the high life now, eating meatballs on the couch off of bone china

We do the same thing!
    photo composite_14153800476219.jpg
  • Options
    I also registered for a plain white Lenox China set with a platinum band. It's the only pattern I could find that's dishwasher and microwave safe. I got all of it and I'm replacing our very old white everyday set. 8 place settings isn't enough - we outgrew the old set. Get more than you think you'll need. I, too, inherited some vintage China and crystal - even sterling. The registry woman helped me find accessories so I could mix and match and get a ton of different looks without spending much. I like the durability of China and dislike stuff that hangs out in storage. Now, I can use it all :-)
  • Options
    spockforprezspockforprez member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited September 2015
    The previous owners of our house left a set of "Impressions by Danielle" (http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Riverside-Stoneware-By-Daniele-Impressions-Japan-10-7-8-Dinner-Plate-PL112-/181873706229?hash=item2a588484f5) with service for 14 so that became our fancy china. (They also left a nice set of flatware, some large stock pots, some cast irons, and a ton of other stuff. Thanks for helping us with our registry, folks! ;)

I registered for Pfaltzgraff Winterberry Christmas china with service for 12 and honestly that's the only thing I care about on the registry. If it's not all purchased for the wedding, I will buy the rest of it with any wedding cash or ask for it for birthday/Christmas haha. I'm obsessed. Like julieanne912, we plan to take on some of the holiday entertaining. I like this pattern because it's wintery enough to use for Thanksgiving as well as Christmas.

We also registered for "Everyday White, Blue Rim"  (http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/1/1/305844-everyday-white-blue-rim-dinner-plate.html) stuff from Bed Bath & Beyond. Our current stuff is mismatched and chipped, otherwise I wouldn't have bothered. For every day, I wanted something cheap where I could go to the store and buy 1 single replacement piece. Also, blue/white is really easy to coordinate if the pattern gets discontinued.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    We didn't register for fine china. Just wouldn't have the room or use for it. We registered for really nice, pretty everyday dishes that would be fine for any entertaining we would want to do.
  • Options
    We're not putting china on your registry. Mainly because we already know that my Grandmother will be gifting that to us.

Personally thought, I think that china is an odd registry item for a lot of couples though.I could be wrong, but I feel like many couples getting married already have the dish and serving ware they need for holidays and what not. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    We registered for China because I inherited from my mother a love of plates (weird, I know). I'm taking over Thanksgiving this year and entertain a lot, so I think it'll go to good use often. Plus I just LOVE it. I got all of it (and then some, people went off registry within my China so I ended up with MORE than I registered for!) and put it away last weekend in our China cabinet and sometimes I just stare at it cause it's so pretty!
  • Options
    We're not putting china on your registry. Mainly because we already know that my Grandmother will be gifting that to us.

Personally thought, I think that china is an odd registry item for a lot of couples though.I could be wrong, but I feel like many couples getting married already have the dish and serving ware they need for holidays and what not. 

*BOXES*

FI and I have 4 plates lol. We definitely don't have what we need to host any sort of dinner party/holiday. We probably will not be registering for china, though. There is a lovely blue set waiting for me at my dad's house when we have the room for it!

• Options
    We didn't register for fine china. Just wouldn't have the room or use for it. We registered for really nice, pretty everyday dishes that would be fine for any entertaining we would want to do.
    Same here. It just seems like more "stuff" to store - I like practicality and minimizing of stuff. We registered for a nice practical full set of dinnerware that is just fine for having people over. I don't personally care what the vessel looks like that I'm eating or drinking out of. :-)
  • Options
    This is a personal choice. whatever your mom or BFF did might not be right for you. Ask yourself these questions:

- will I actually use it? Or does my everyday stuff fit the bill?
    - do we have room to store it/display it?
    - do we WANT to store/display it?
    - if it requires special care, am I up for it?
    *********************************************************************************

• Options

We each had a set of 8 dishes.  But they completely do not go together... his are dark brown and black stoneware sort of things, and mine were white modern from Crate and Barrel.  So, we registered for a new set that we picked out together, in 16 place settings, since I'm taking over family Thanksgiving duties.  I received 8 full settings as gifts, and used gift cards to finish it out.  Still need to finish out servingware, like a turkey platter.  So... it's not really an odd registry item, even for established couples.  
    Married 9.12.15
  • Options
    we decided to put both a set of 12 everyone and 12 china on our registry. My Mother has hosted large family dinners for a number of years and I look forward to doing that over the years as well. We're both out of school in the last few years and our kitchen is a mix mash of whatever survived the 4 years of school. decided it was a good time to upgrade and enchance 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    We registered for china and everyday dishes. We probably won't actually use the china for a few years and we're living in an apartment now so we have no place to put it anyway- so it will live in my mom's basement until we get a house. We registered for it because we figure down the line it will be nice to have. We also have a pretty large guest list so our registry has a lot of stuff. (We did 14 place settings for china and 16 for everyday- I realize we probably won't get that many but I have a large extended family I might have to host and a girl can dream! Lol) I did skip the crystal stemware, though.
    China is one of those things that, if you don't get it now, when will you? If you don't want to fill up your registry with china you can register for fewer place settings and pieces.
    Also, when we went to register the salesperson literally whacked the plates on the shelf and stood on one and they didn't break so I'm not too worried about them breaking. And a lot of new china is dishwasher safe so handwashing won't be an issue. (My mom puts her china from 1985 in the dishwasher.)
  • Options
    I would say it varies from person to person. The way I looked at it was: Did I want it? Yes. Would I ever be able to justify buying it for myself in the future? No. As previous posters have said, people love buying china as a wedding gift. So if you register for it, people will probably buy it for you.

We received all 12 place settings and a few of the serving pieces as gifts. I was able to purchase the few remaining serving pieces on Cyber Monday at a really good price.

We just used our china for the first time a few weeks ago when we hosted a "Friendsgiving" party with all of our friends. The table looked gorgeous and we got lots of compliments on it. I love to entertain, so I see myself getting a lot of use out of it in the future.
  • Options
    We are doing the same as @downtondiva did.  We registered for a nice set of white everyday dishes.  They have a basic design on them that I think makes them look a little more formal.  We registered for nice linens, napkin rings, placements, chargers and servewear that will help dress things up when needed.  The registry consultant who was helping us said some couples will register for a nice basic set like we did and then pick out a salad plate from a formal china pattern.  Its less to wash and store and helps dress things up for more formal entertaining.  We decided against doing that but thought it was a good alternative. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards