Wedding Ceremony & Reception Music Discussions

Dinner music suggestions??

We are forgoing a DJ and making a playlist instead. Thinking there should be some music playing during dinner quietly in the background but not really sure where to start with that one. any suggestions?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Dinner music suggestions??

• It depends on your overall music choices for the reception, but I like jazz and oldies during dinner.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • We are forgoing a DJ and making a playlist instead. Thinking there should be some music playing during dinner quietly in the background but not really sure where to start with that one. any suggestions?
    @diygaltoronto

We didn't have any music at our reception because people were busy talking and eating. However, I would suggest something soft / classical.
  • Frank Sinatra is always good, played at a low volume.  Or would you prefer the sounds of a string quartet playing Bach?
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • For cocktail hour I have more newer soft music (Ed Sheeredan, Phillip Phillip, Frou Frou, John Legend, Lionel Richie, etc. for about an hour).

For Dinner/food, I have the golden oldies (Sinatra, Dean Martin, Nat King Cole, Elvis, Martin, etc.) for another hour.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• I used that time to play music that I loved, or I knew our parents would love but that didn't fit for the dancing. I think we told the DJ Avett Brothers, Mumford & Sons, Tom Petty, Van Morrison, the Eagles (for my Dad), Bob Dylan (also for our first dance), and Johnny Cash. Stuff we love but didn't really work any other time. They mixed it in with their own recommendations and it worked great.
  • jacques27jacques27 member
    First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited December 2015
    What I tend to do for parties where the focus is mingling is find things from Vitamin String Quartet.  I don't have to vet lyrics and risk there being anything inappropriate playing, everything sort of has the same feel so when you're mixing genres it doesn't seem horribly out of place going from death metal to country to Sinatra in the span of three songs, and you get the added bonus of that moment of recognition when people who are listening rather than talking realize they are listening to Fat-Bottomed Girls or Billie Jean.
  • We had instrumental jazz playing during dinner.
  • Awesome! Thank you for all the great suggestions :smile: it gives us lots to look into 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'd also recommend, if you like it, singer-songwriter stuff like Jason Mraz. Stuff that's played on Top 40, people generally like, but is not going to be played on the dance floor. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards