Just Engaged and Proposals
Options

how soon to look for venue

If getting married in oct. 2018 how soon should I start looking?

Re: how soon to look for venue

• Options
    We were limited when choosing a venue because of the size of our guest list (~250) and the fact that we wanted a hotel on site or very close, since over half that list is traveling from 2-3 hours away. We also wanted a space that wasn't too far from my church where we're having the ceremony. There weren't many venues in my area that fit those requirements so that narrowed it down for us. Definitely visit the venue before you book- you will get a sense not only of the space but of the level of service.
    I would think about how many people you need to accommodate, what your needs are (hotel, ceremony space, cocktail hour space, bridal dressing room, on-site catering, etc.) and your budget. Since you still have about 3 years to go you definitely have some time, especially since October isn't peak wedding season. I'm planning a June wedding so I booked a venue within about a week of getting engaged (~13 months out), and when I toured the venue I was told that some brides had already booked for 2017- two years ahead at the time.
    Sometimes if you book early you can lock in the rates, and if you have a dream venue then you'll want to book before someone else does. But if you don't have a specific location in mind you can probably wait until you have 12-18 months to go. It will be one of the first wedding planning decisions you make, though.
  • Options
    The first thing you should do is talk about the kind of wedding you're wanting, set a budget, make a potential guest list, and then start looking at venues that meet your needs. I would go ahead and start looking. Two years out might seem like a long, time, but it isn't necessarily in the world of wedding planning. Certain venues book up quickly. Congrats and happy planning!
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    I agree. 2 years isn't too early. I got engaged in March and I'll be getting married in May of 2017. We already signed a contract on our venue. Just remember, the longer you wait, venues could raise their prices. I locked mine in because it was a great space with a price to die for.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards