Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions

Looking for priest to perform wedding ceremony outside of church in Youngstown, OH

2»

Re: Looking for priest to perform wedding ceremony outside of church in Youngstown, OH

• Question for all you Catholics. What happens if a Catholic couple chooses to have a destination wedding? Can they have a Catholic wedding as long as it's inside a church at the destination?

It depends on a lot of things. First off, if the couple chooses to have a DW recognized by the church, they will need to have it in a church at that destination. It's not a given, though, and it takes some coordination.

I have some friends who had a quasi DW (they lived in one part of Florida but chose to marry in a different part. They worked with their home church for the pre-Cana requirements. They had a priest friend from Ohio officiate. It all worked out great.
  • Question for all you Catholics. What happens if a Catholic couple chooses to have a destination wedding? Can they have a Catholic wedding as long as it's inside a church at the destination?

I think it depends on the diocese and/or church. We looked into it for about a minute and it seemed like a massive nightmare for us, so we said we're staying here. A big potential issue for us is my mother is deceased and had an annulment when I was a toddler, my stepfather never legally adopted me and I refuse any contact with my sperm donor. Mom never spoke ill of him, but if she got her annulment easier than her legal divorce, and he never wanted to be involved with me until I was 24 - he's not worth my time. So some paperwork would likely be impossible to complete.

I think it depends on the diocese and/or church. We looked into it for about a minute and it seemed like a massive nightmare for us, so we said we're staying here. A big potential issue for us is my mother is deceased and had an annulment when I was a toddler, my stepfather never legally adopted me and I refuse any contact with my sperm donor. Mom never spoke ill of him, but if she got her annulment easier than her legal divorce, and he never wanted to be involved with me until I was 24 - he's not worth my time. So some paperwork would likely be impossible to complete.

-------
    When I got married through the Catholic church, my parents were not involved at all in the paperwork. To the best of my knowledge, there is no reason that your parents' situation should be an issue (or even brought up).
    ------- When I got married through the Catholic church, my parents were not involved at all in the paperwork. To the best of my knowledge, there is no reason that your parents' situation should be an issue (or even brought up).
    Yeah, I don't get the what mom's annulment has to do with anything?  It's about the couple.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • The PPs are all correct. I know only of one person who was able to have a Catholic ceremony outside and it took a year of petitioning the Bishop and they didn't know until the invites went out that they were going to be able to have their ceremony. 

My friend who had the ceremony was in very good standing with her church and she and her FI had a lot of hoops to jump through to be able to have their wedding outside. 
    I am intrigued by this and it begs repeating of CMGrs question...for two people who so clearly wanted to have a valid Catholic marriage ceremony, why was they outdoor ceremony so important that they couldn't go by the book and have the ceremony in the church? As well, what reason was so compelling that the Bishop actually approved it?

They were having a wedding for 350 people, the groom was not from the same city as the Bride originally and most of his family was from out of country. The bride and groom lived in the bride's city as they met at work. The bride's church is very small and would not hold all the people on their guest list. They petitioned the Bishop to hold the ceremony at the same place as the reception with the priest that she has known since she was a child. The venue had a beautiful outdoor location that would fit everyone and had an area if it rained. She was in good standing so the request was taken under consideration and granted. 

There were special circumstances in this case, but it was still a lengthy process and if she had not been a regular church member, it would not have happened. 
    Thanks.  I had always assumed that it would be about more dire circumstances that something like this.

• Erikan73 said:
    Something to consider, even if you have a retired priest perform the ceremony your marriage won't be recognized by the church and Rdepending on the church, that would cause problems if you have children that you want to have baptized catholic.c
    Not true, at all.  My husband and I weren't allowed to marry in the RCC because he was divorced and hadn't had his previous marriage annulled. Our three children were baptized and warmly welcomed by the church. Our oldest attended parochial school and was one of the first female altar servers at our church, sang in the choir and later as a soloist. My husband and I were welcome at all masses (no communion, though), socials and organizations.

Our pastor was very concious of the mixed marriage couples at our church and took care in reaching out to the non-Catholic partners, paid special homage to them whenever their  children received a new sacrament. He was a typical strict Irish Catholic priest who didn't mess around with the rules, but he was also a good Shepherd.

That said, I am no longer a practicing Catholic, but I hate to see inaccurate information put out there. 

Thank you for clarification. I was just going off an experience that a friend had once. The church they were going through was very old school.
  • Erikan73 said:

Erikan73 said:

Something to consider, even if you have a retired priest perform the ceremony your marriage won't be recognized by the church and Rdepending on the church, that would cause problems if you have children that you want to have baptized catholic.c

Not true, at all.  My husband and I weren't allowed to marry in the RCC because he was divorced and hadn't had his previous marriage annulled. Our three children were baptized and warmly welcomed by the church. Our oldest attended parochial school and was one of the first female altar servers at our church, sang in the choir and later as a soloist. My husband and I were welcome at all masses (no communion, though), socials and organizations.

Our pastor was very concious of the mixed marriage couples at our church and took care in reaching out to the non-Catholic partners, paid special homage to them whenever their  children received a new sacrament. He was a typical strict Irish Catholic priest who didn't mess around with the rules, but he was also a good Shepherd.

That said, I am no longer a practicing Catholic, but I hate to see inaccurate information put out there. 

Thank you for clarification. I was just going off an experience that a friend had once. The church they were going through was very old school.

I wish more and more priests didn't punish a baby.
  • banana468 said:

Erikan73 said:

Erikan73 said:

I wish more and more priests didn't punish a baby.

----------------------------------

I also wish they didn't punish someone for falling in love with a non Catholic. I'm not in good standing bc DH was previously married. He's not Catholic, so he never got an annulment. Granted he could, but he doesn't see a point, but would if it was important to me. I feel tossed aside and abandoned by the church, so I have not pressed for one. So the Catholic church lost a regular parishioner and lecteur, bc I fell in love with a non Catholic.

Why should I be punished and left out of the faith, bc of my husband? Punishing others is not new to the Catholic church :disappointed:
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards