New Jersey

Ceremony Space That Is Nondenominational- Possible?

My fiance and I got engaged in September and have already booked our reception venue for 11/19/16 in Lakewood, NJ at Eagle Ridge Golf Club and also some other vendors. We are at a standstill now with planning until we figure out what to do about our ceremony. 

Although our Eagle Ridge offered, we do not want to have our ceremony at the same place we’re having our reception. I have friends and family members who have things both ways- some had separate venues for the ceremony and reception with a 2-3 hour gap between, and some at the same venue. All of the brides who had the separation of ceremony and reception enjoyed their days way more. They had enough time to space things out a bit, take their pictures without rushing, and were able to make it to their cocktail hour and enjoy the delicious food there. They all used their cocktail hour to greet their guests individually so by the time the reception started, they were able to relax, have fun, and dance. That’s what my fiance and I want too. Plus cocktail hour is where we’re putting a lot of our money and effort into so we want to be there for it. 

All of the “separate” weddings we went to had the ceremony at a church. We are planning our wedding long distance (from Northern VA) so we aren’t able to join a local church. Also- we are not religious, at all. We would truthfully feel uncomfortable having a religious ceremony because that’s not what we believe. We also don’t plan on having children and we don’t want to essentially lie in my wedding vows about raising our children in the church.

So- the challenge is: we need a space just for the ceremony to fit our guests (right now the guest list is looking around 130-140), in November (could be warm, could be freezing, could be rainy, could be sunny), that is not a church. And we’re not finding anything. We did find the chapel at Allaire State Park which is gorgeous but it fits 100 max and I worry if all the guests do show up to the ceremony, there’s nowhere for them to fit. (Since sometimes wedding guests only go to the reception. and I know not all people we invite will RSVP. It's a gamble.) The ASP chapel would allow us to use our own officiant. 

My fiance’s mom is aware of our thoughts on this. She is religious but understanding that we are not. She offered to have us get married in her church. We appreciate this, but would use a church venue as kind of our last resort. Maybe there’s an option you all know of that we don’t? 

Also- did any of you get married in a church but do not consider yourself religious? How did that go? 

Read more: http://boards.weddingbee.com/topic/nondenominational-ceremony-space-in-central-nj-is-this-possible/#ixzz3t7i8vzee

Re: Ceremony Space That Is Nondenominational- Possible?

• My fiance and I got engaged in September and have already booked our reception venue for 11/19/16 in Lakewood, NJ at Eagle Ridge Golf Club and also some other vendors. We are at a standstill now with planning until we figure out what to do about our ceremony. 

Although our Eagle Ridge offered, we do not want to have our ceremony at the same place we’re having our reception. I have friends and family members who have things both ways- some had separate venues for the ceremony and reception with a 2-3 hour gap between, and some at the same venue. All of the brides who had the separation of ceremony and reception enjoyed their days way more. They had enough time to space things out a bit, take their pictures without rushing, and were able to make it to their cocktail hour and enjoy the delicious food there. They all used their cocktail hour to greet their guests individually so by the time the reception started, they were able to relax, have fun, and dance. That’s what my fiance and I want too. Plus cocktail hour is where we’re putting a lot of our money and effort into so we want to be there for it. 

All of the “separate” weddings we went to had the ceremony at a church. We are planning our wedding long distance (from Northern VA) so we aren’t able to join a local church. Also- we are not religious, at all. We would truthfully feel uncomfortable having a religious ceremony because that’s not what we believe. We also don’t plan on having children and we don’t want to essentially lie in my wedding vows about raising our children in the church.

So- the challenge is: we need a space just for the ceremony to fit our guests (right now the guest list is looking around 130-140), in November (could be warm, could be freezing, could be rainy, could be sunny), that is not a church. And we’re not finding anything. We did find the chapel at Allaire State Park which is gorgeous but it fits 100 max and I worry if all the guests do show up to the ceremony, there’s nowhere for them to fit. (Since sometimes wedding guests only go to the reception. and I know not all people we invite will RSVP. It's a gamble.) The ASP chapel would allow us to use our own officiant. 

My fiance’s mom is aware of our thoughts on this. She is religious but understanding that we are not. She offered to have us get married in her church. We appreciate this, but would use a church venue as kind of our last resort. Maybe there’s an option you all know of that we don’t? 

Also- did any of you get married in a church but do not consider yourself religious? How did that go? 

Read more: http://boards.weddingbee.com/topic/nondenominational-ceremony-space-in-central-nj-is-this-possible/#ixzz3t7i8vzee
    No, no, no!  A gap is rude!  If you don't want to take pictures before the ceremony, then the cocktail hour is the time to do it.  You can't have your cake and eat it too.  

We had our ceremony at our venue.  Everyone loved it!  There was no schlepping around - everyone went from the ceremony to the cocktail hour to the reception.  We did a first look, had our ceremony, enjoyed our cocktail hour and then took a few remaining extended family photos early in the reception.  It worked out perfectly.

Treat your guests right and don't make them hang around trying to kill time during a gap.  That's inconsiderate and selfish.  You should plan your day so your guests look back and say what a wonderful time they had - a gap will leave them complaining behind your back.
  • When you say 130-140 people, are you including the bridal party? If so, and 100 is your max, you're probably fine. Especially with a gap, a number of people will not come to your ceremony. And a bunch will be standing up front. So you're good!

I've been to many weddings with a gap. JoanE2012 is definitely right that they're not super fun for the guests. My fiancé was a groomsman in a few and I was by myself. Had to check in to the hotel and figure out some way to entertain myself for a few hours.

If you feel really strongly about it, make sure there's something for your guests to do.

• When you say 130-140 people, are you including the bridal party? If so, and 100 is your max, you're probably fine. Especially with a gap, a number of people will not come to your ceremony. And a bunch will be standing up front. So you're good!

I've been to many weddings with a gap. JoanE2012 is definitely right that they're not super fun for the guests. My fiancé was a groomsman in a few and I was by myself. Had to check in to the hotel and figure out some way to entertain myself for a few hours.

If you feel really strongly about it, make sure there's something for your guests to do.

There are some brides that have had 100% attendance and plenty more with near 100%.  I've seen brides on here not expecting that and in the position of not having the space to hold all their guests - it's awful.  OP needs to plan for 100% attendance and find a venue that holds everyone she wants to invite.  And the gap needs to go.
  • JoanE2012 said:

When you say 130-140 people, are you including the bridal party? If so, and 100 is your max, you're probably fine. Especially with a gap, a number of people will not come to your ceremony. And a bunch will be standing up front. So you're good!

There are some brides that have had 100% attendance and plenty more with near 100%.  I've seen brides on here not expecting that and in the position of not having the space to hold all their guests - it's awful.  OP needs to plan for 100% attendance and find a venue that holds everyone she wants to invite.  And the gap needs to go.
    Wow. You've got really strong opinions about her wedding. Are you going to be a guest?
  • JoanE2012 said:

When you say 130-140 people, are you including the bridal party? If so, and 100 is your max, you're probably fine. Especially with a gap, a number of people will not come to your ceremony. And a bunch will be standing up front. So you're good!

Wow. You've got really strong opinions about her wedding. Are you going to be a guest?
    It's common sense to plan for 100% attendance.  You advising her that inviting 130-140 people for a 100 max capacity venue is poor advice.  What happens when everyone (or most everyone) RSVPs yes?  

And the no gap is proper etiquette. Some people come here not realizing what they're planning is rude to their guests - and I'm not going to pretend I didn't read it.  Unfortunately, many people play the religion card - but that's no excuse.  It's almost worse to plan a gap just so you can have the time you want at the expense of your guests.  

You can't have your cake and eat it too.  Unless you want to intentionally be rude to your friends and family.  We did a first look because being at the cocktail hour was important to us as was not making our guests wait.
  • Never over invite what your venue can hold!  What will you do if all 130-140 RSVP yes?  And lets say not everyone replies back with a yes, but your still over 100?  That's just poor planning.  We had a 90% acceptance rate for our wedding.  I couldn't have imagined inviting more than what our venue could hold and then having to figure out what to do.

And yes, gaps are rude.  What will your guests do while they wait for cocktail hour?
    Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I dread weddings with gaps now.  The day/evening is so much more enjoyable when everything is at one location.

Anniversary

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards