Options

Cake Stories

13»

Re: Cake Stories

• Options
    AddieCake said:
    MesmrEwe said:
    AddieCake said:
    I don't think it's accurate to compare cake vs cupcakes with steak vs hotdogs. 

Portion and composition are entirely different, so yes, the comparison is accurate.  A cupcake is a 2" circle that's approximately 1-1 1/2" tall with approximately 1 tbsp. of icing...  A slice of wedding cake is multiple layers of an average portion size of 1x3x4 or 5" Included in that height is the tablespoon of icing on the top (with more if it's fondant), as well as two to three tablespoons of filling.  Both start out with the same cake and icing, but the end portion and result are entirely different from eachother. 

Not necessarily. My wedding cake had no layers and no filling, and our cupcakes had far more icing on them per cupcake than a slice of the cake had. 

The use of the comparison is for someone who wants to give some of their guests one portion and others another..   As long as ALL guests are treated/served equally, there isn't an issue, at all!!!  When the OP wants to only get a portion of the guests cake for a "cake & punch reception" because "oh there'll be other desserts" - it's not o.k. because ALL guests are not being given the same portion of essentially the main course for the type of reception being hosted. 
  • Options
    I'm totally confused by your statement that you won't be serving sweet, sugary pies. Are we talking savory?  Like a chicken pot pie?  All dessert pies are sugary.  Yes, lemon is less sweet than chocolate silk, but it's definitely still loaded with sugar, especially the commercial versions.
  • Options
    MesmrEwe said:
    AddieCake said:
    MesmrEwe said:
    AddieCake said:
    I don't think it's accurate to compare cake vs cupcakes with steak vs hotdogs. 

Portion and composition are entirely different, so yes, the comparison is accurate.  A cupcake is a 2" circle that's approximately 1-1 1/2" tall with approximately 1 tbsp. of icing...  A slice of wedding cake is multiple layers of an average portion size of 1x3x4 or 5" Included in that height is the tablespoon of icing on the top (with more if it's fondant), as well as two to three tablespoons of filling.  Both start out with the same cake and icing, but the end portion and result are entirely different from eachother. 

Not necessarily. My wedding cake had no layers and no filling, and our cupcakes had far more icing on them per cupcake than a slice of the cake had. 

The use of the comparison is for someone who wants to give some of their guests one portion and others another..   As long as ALL guests are treated/served equally, there isn't an issue, at all!!!  When the OP wants to only get a portion of the guests cake for a "cake & punch reception" because "oh there'll be other desserts" - it's not o.k. because ALL guests are not being given the same portion of essentially the main course for the type of reception being hosted. 
    I agree with you. In fact, I even stated before that she should do like I did and just serve cupcakes, no cake.  I'm just disagreeing with your cake vs cupcake and steak vs hotdogs comparison b/c nothing will ever convince me that those comparisons make sense.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    RlovesR said:
    I'm totally confused by your statement that you won't be serving sweet, sugary pies. Are we talking savory?  Like a chicken pot pie?  All dessert pies are sugary.  Yes, lemon is less sweet than chocolate silk, but it's definitely still loaded with sugar, especially the commercial versions.
    @KnottieTaylor This.  Are you telling me that pies are not made with sugar?  Are you not having sugar in your cake and cupcakes?  So, unless you are having savory pies, you ARE serving sugar on top of sugar.  And as someone who is prediabetic and eating a hypoglycemic diet right now, I would not be able to eat any of your food offerings.
  • Options
    This decision is clearly not based on finances, so I don't understand why she doesn't just buy enough cake if she wants both options. Just buy a bigger cake and a cupcake each. It's so simple. I don't get her bullshit behaviour.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    Sherbie25 said:
    This decision is clearly not based on finances, so I don't understand why she doesn't just buy enough cake if she wants both options. Just buy a bigger cake and a cupcake each. It's so simple. I don't get her bullshit behaviour.
    No, me either.  I mean, I get the sense she'd rather just party with the WP and is taking that out on her guests by not letting them having tables or enough cake.  But  can't imagine taking it this far. If you've got to do this, you might as well make it fun for people.
  • Options
    AddieCakeAddieCake member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited December 2015
    Double post. Sorry.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    AddieCake said:

Cake should just never be this complicated. 

Agreed.

• Options
    Late to the party, but new question for OP:  there will only be one person serving the cake, so the guests who choose cake will have to wait in line?  What about the cupcake voters?  Is that at will or will that be served/monitored by the same server?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards