Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions

theme: sophisticated, urban, elegance

I want to create a look that speaks sophisticated, urban elegance for a Summer wedding.  We'll be married in a cathedral that's a city landmark, and are doing a dinner cruise on the bay for our reception. But how else can we suggest that urban elegance?  I mean, as far as centerpieces, favors, decor, other elements?  I know the look I want, just not how to create it!  Help!!

Re: theme: sophisticated, urban, elegance

• I'd use very modern decor with chrome and glass, and soft lighting.
  • I have no idea what kind of favor says urban elegance. 
  • I think you are too concerned about matching your theme instead of just focusing on what you and your FI like.  Just pick things that you and your FI like that go together and stop trying to match a set theme.  Personally I find that people who choose a theme have a harder time picking things such as flowers and decor as opposed to those who just go with what they like and don't have a theme.

• How about changing your theme to "Marriage"?  That seems a lot easier to work with.
  • I really dislike theme weddings.  It's your wedding, not a prom.  JMHO.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • I have no idea what kind of favor says urban elegance. 
    Bus ticket wrapped with a zippo?
  • Honestly urban elegance seems like an oxymoron to me. While the idea of major city's seem elegant when you actually get there they are quite dirty and crowded with people. Not exactly my idea of elegance... 

CMGragain because I feel like weddings with theme's feel too much like prom. Pick centerpieces you like and don't worry about it matching a theme.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • This is more of an aesthetic, not a prom theme, so ignore those comments. I assume that by "urban" you mean "modern" and "the opposite of shabby chic" and "having to do with our particular city".

For favors, I'd look for something made locally. Do you have a candy shop that makes something there? A lot of small shops make fudge or taffy or truffles in-house.

I agree with Jen4948 about using chrome and glass. Look for centerpiece vases or candleholders that have straight or angled sides or sleek curves and no cutwork. Don't use any burlap, mason jars, thrift store finds, or mercury glass. Chrome and crystals should work (or at least the chrome), or mirrored items.

If there are any particular landmarks or festivals from your city you want to give a nod to, maybe you could frame some photos or postcards and use them as table "numbers" or just as decor here and there.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I agree with others to just pick things you actually love versus trying too hard to match some designer vision.

But if urban elegance is your thing, I picture a lot of metal and glass, crisp white linens, white orchid centerpieces, classic attire for y'all (black tux and classic satin dress), classic but foodie menu on square plates, black/gray/white color palate (maybe with a pop or red or something), swanky cocktail hour, live jazz band or piano, simple design cake with edgy flavor....

I don't picture chair covers, big bows, colorful designs, frilly anything, fabric panels....
    *********************************************************************************

• It feels to me like maybe you want to channel that city elegance people think of, I would go art deco lines if you can, like Empire state building. Classy and old school, maybe pink champagne and martinis like in old movies. That's what it brings to mind for me. Definitely requires more formal to me.
  • @Knottie1448944285 , This post is from last August.  Please don't resurrect old, dead posts to comment.  This is bad Knottie etiquette.  If you have a question, feel free ot open a new post, yourself.

@artbyallie Please close this zombie thread.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards