Wedding Woes
Options

Ms. Prudence?

What are the Ms. Prudence advice posts about?

Are they actual letters that people write to someone?

Re: Ms. Prudence?

• Options
    It's letters to an advice column.  We just like to read them on Thursdays for interesting topics.
  • Options
    Prudie posts on slate.com on Thursdays. 
  • Options
    On the topic of Prudie.  I'm not sure how I feel about the new Prudie.  I think some of her advice misses the mark.  I think most of the time she is on the right track but often doesn't address all of the issues in a letter. 
  • Options
    I miss the old Prudie.
  • Options
    old prudie or old old prudie?
  • Options
    Thanks for the explanation!
  • Options
    On the topic of Prudie.  I'm not sure how I feel about the new Prudie.  I think some of her advice misses the mark.  I think most of the time she is on the right track but often doesn't address all of the issues in a letter. 
    I like her better than Emily Yoffe.  I don't think she's perfect, but given a choice, I'll take Mallory.  Plus, I like her writing better. 

"It is unlikely that many people are having children just to score a few anonymous, afterthought gifts from mall-based charities once a year, and at any rate, they are not your problem to worry about."

"Absolutely refuse future gifts from her! Refuse them like you are a gift-refusing machine whose only function is to refuse unnecessary, emotionally manipulative gifts."

"If you really want to reconnect with a friend, you say, “I feel like we’re drifting apart and I’d like to see you more.” You don’t go to her bridal shower, tell her you’re not coming to her wedding because you don’t see her enough, then turn down her subsequent attempts to see you before the ceremony and ask to get coffee six months later."

"My final (and totally objective, legally binding) opinion on the tastefulness of posting a link to your daughter’s college fund on Facebook is that it isn’t grubbing, exactly, but it may be grubbing-adjacent. "

• Options
    Yah I liked the old old Prudie. Although Emily Yoffe was good I took a big issue with a non-Prudie post she wrote in Slate about sexual assault and drinking in which her advice amounted to "young women, don't drink and you won't get raped". Not cool.
  • Options
    oldold prudie did do a 'dear margo' for a little while--but it didn't work as well as the prudie format for some reason, imo
    And I think ti vanished
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards