Just Engaged and Proposals

Fiancé hasn't met my family

So, I live in central Texas but my dad and step mom (who I am very close with) live in Michigan, and my mom (who I'm not so close to) lives near Houston. My SO and I have been together for 10 months and due to our jobs and funds we haven't been able to travel so he can meet either of my parents. I have met his whole family and he HAS met my sisters and my aunt. 3 weeks ago he asked me to marry him and I said yes. His family knows as well as most of our friends and my sister who I have sworn to secrecy. I really want to tell my family so that we can start planning our ceremony but I'm worried that they will disapprove because they have not officially met him. I should add, I'm 26 and he is 39.

Best Answer

Answers

• So, I live in central Texas but my dad and step mom (who I am very close with) live in Michigan, and my mom (who I'm not so close to) lives near Houston. My SO and I have been together for 10 months and due to our jobs and funds we haven't been able to travel so he can meet either of my parents. I have met his whole family and he HAS met my sisters and my aunt. 3 weeks ago he asked me to marry him and I said yes. His family knows as well as most of our friends and my sister who I have sworn to secrecy. I really want to tell my family so that we can start planning our ceremony but I'm worried that they will disapprove because they have not officially met him. I should add, I'm 26 and he is 39.
    Does your aunt know that you're engaged?  Is she also sworn to secrecy?

Honestly, as people find out, the liklihood of your parents / familly finding out through the grapevine increases.  

Set up a Skype session and introduce him and announce the news.  Take it from there.
  • CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited January 2016
    So, I live in central Texas but my dad and step mom (who I am very close with) live in Michigan, and my mom (who I'm not so close to) lives near Houston. My SO and I have been together for 10 months and due to our jobs and funds we haven't been able to travel so he can meet either of my parents. I have met his whole family and he HAS met my sisters and my aunt. 3 weeks ago he asked me to marry him and I said yes. His family knows as well as most of our friends and my sister who I have sworn to secrecy. I really want to tell my family so that we can start planning our ceremony but I'm worried that they will disapprove because they have not officially met him. I should add, I'm 26 and he is 39.
    The longer you wait, the more likely that your family will learn from another source, and that guarantees hurt feelings.
    Call them TONIGHT and tell them the good news.  You are old enough to make your own decisions without needing their official approval.  Set up a skype session for a later time.  I am sure you are prepared for them to be concerned about the age gap.  Nothing you can do about it. 
    I hope that you are going to take your time about arranging your wedding.  10 months is not a lot of time to be together.  Good luck!
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • AddieCakeAddieCake member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited January 2016
    I didn't meet my MIL, SIL, & BIL until our rehearsal dinner. I met my FIL 2 years after the wedding. 

Don't worry about it; just tell them.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • CMGragain said:
    The longer you wait, the more likely that your family will learn from another source, and that guarantees hurt feelings.
    Call them TONIGHT and tell them the good news.  You are old enough to make your own decisions without needing their official approval.  Set up a skype session for a later time.  I am sure you are prepared for them to be concerned about the age gap.  Nothing you can do about it. 
    I hope that you are going to take your time about arranging your wedding.  10 months is not a lot of time to be together.  Good luck!
    Aw, go easy on her.  DH & I got engaged after 3 months of dating & were married after an 8 month engagement.  
  • CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited January 2016
    I'm not the person OP needs to worry about!  I knew DH for nine years before we married, but we only "dated" in the traditional sense for 4 days before he asked me.  My FMIL had a fit!
    I'm not judging.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • I agree...call and tell them immediately and if it's important to you, set up a visit home before your nuptials so that everyone can meet IRL.

And congrats!!
  • I am also from Central Texas! Congrats on your engagement! As long as your family knows of him, I think a simple phone call would be great for now and a meet and greet can be arranged at a later time!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards