Registry and Gift Forum

When to register

Hi all

My timelines are all thrown off.  Because of some date mishaps with our venue we will end up having a 2.5 year engagement by the time we get married.  Because we have so long I feel like I'm really procrastinating and all of the ideal timeline hints I have found don't fit.  

So far we've done the big contracts so that we can secure now pricing for 2017.  My FMIL will be throwing me a shower (VERY sweet of her) sometime in the spring/summer before our wedding.  Question is when should I register?  I don't want to do it too early but I also don't want to wait too long.

Thanks!

Re: When to register

• As long as you are registered by the time shower invites go out you should be fine.
  • Register closer to your shower. If you register to far in advance you will need to update your registry prior to the shower. Many items are seasonal or could be discontinued in the interim, if you register to early.
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• Depending on where you register, I'd recommend waiting.  We registered a little over a year out at one of the stores, but they offered a discount for us from the date we registered to 30 days after our wedding. Very few stores will do that.   FI's roommate was moving out, and he needed some things earlier, so it helped.  We ended up saving close to $600 on what we've purchased (grill, smoker, knife block etc).

The downside was, our dishes, flatware, knives and some other random things were discontinued.  The store we registered with was great, and actually called us when our dishes were discontinued.  We've had to update the registry twice. Not a big deal, but can definitely be a hassle.
  • Hi all

My timelines are all thrown off.  Because of some date mishaps with our venue we will end up having a 2.5 year engagement by the time we get married.  Because we have so long I feel like I'm really procrastinating and all of the ideal timeline hints I have found don't fit.  

So far we've done the big contracts so that we can secure now pricing for 2017.  My FMIL will be throwing me a shower (VERY sweet of her) sometime in the spring/summer before our wedding.  Question is when should I register?  I don't want to do it too early but I also don't want to wait too long.

Thanks!
    I agree with everyone to wait.  But that doesn't mean you can't research now.  Find out what the best is of what you want, like coffee makers and knives.  Do Consumer Reports checks on vacuums and blenders or find out what America's Test Kitchen thinks is the best salad spinner and waffle iron.  You have a while, you might as well dream about the best possible kitchen/home/decor for yourself.  It could be fun.
  • Thanks everyone!  Very helpful!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards