Outdoor Weddings

Help with Setting Up Ceremony for Very Small Group

We are planning on a very small, outdoor ceremony (~10 people). I'm trying to figure out how I would set up the ceremony because the group is so small. The pictures I'm finding all have many more people, and so having them in rows of chairs still makes sense. It seems like it would be awkward to have them just standing around us, but having just a row or two of chairs might also look weird. We don't have a wedding party, so we won't need to have bridesmaids/groomsmen standing next to us. I guess I'm looking for inspiration on how to set it up, or stories from brides who had a similar experience.

Re: Help with Setting Up Ceremony for Very Small Group

• I think there are several ways you could make seating for an intimate ceremony work:

a) have a traditional aisle, with 5 chairs on each side, and arranged into two or three rows,

b) have your ceremony in the middle of the seating area - with chairs in an arc surrounding you,

c) rent some loveseats or armchairs and create a comfy seating area.
  • That loveseat/armchair idea sounds delightful! Not sure we could fit it into the budget, but I love having that as a fresh idea. Thank you so much for your input!
  • That loveseat/armchair idea sounds delightful! Not sure we could fit it into the budget, but I love having that as a fresh idea. Thank you so much for your input!
    You're welcome! Good luck!
  • I LOVE the loveseat idea as well if it's in budget.

I organised a small wedding at my work and we set up a U shaped table with the guests seated around the outside.  The B&G stood in the middle and it felt really intimate and special!  They were literally surrounded by the people that loved them.  Then afterwards I served champagne while they all had pictures, allowing the waitress set up the U shaped tables for dining.  

We did it this way as they had a limited budget for room hire at our venue, (couldn't afford separate ceremony and reception spaces) but it ended up really well.
  • I LOVE the loveseat idea as well if it's in budget.

I organised a small wedding at my work and we set up a U shaped table with the guests seated around the outside.  The B&G stood in the middle and it felt really intimate and special!  They were literally surrounded by the people that loved them.  Then afterwards I served champagne while they all had pictures, allowing the waitress set up the U shaped tables for dining.  

We did it this way as they had a limited budget for room hire at our venue, (couldn't afford separate ceremony and reception spaces) but it ended up really well.
    Thanks! I've had some friends mention doing a U/arch type thing, and that seems to be the one we're leaning toward now. This really eased my stress on finding a way to make the setup look "not weird." :)
  • Best of luck, I do agree there are better set-ups than traditional rows of chairs for small numbers. 
  • I would also suggest setting the chairs up in a U shape or semi circle, where you and your FI get married in the center. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards