Wedding Photography and Videography Forum

Negotiating Price

We've been communicating with a photographer we really like. Unfortunately, they charge a pretty high premium to get the digital rights and files of the photos. They would prefer you use their website to order and say that most of their couples do this, but the prices are outrageous and I'm not comfortable with that. It is one thing to pay for a portrait of the two of us and another to pay $25 for a print of people dancing or something. In addition, their price went up significantly when we asked for the digital rights which made us a bit nervous, as it was more than we budgeted.
They're also including some things we don't want- preview cards (cards we give to people who want to order photos via their website: I will not be handing these out), an extended engagement session, and 3 mini albums. 
Is it reasonable to ask them to get closer to the amount of money we had in mind? It would be a reduction of about $300. 

Re: Negotiating Price

• We've been communicating with a photographer we really like. Unfortunately, they charge a pretty high premium to get the digital rights and files of the photos. They would prefer you use their website to order and say that most of their couples do this, but the prices are outrageous and I'm not comfortable with that. It is one thing to pay for a portrait of the two of us and another to pay $25 for a print of people dancing or something. In addition, their price went up significantly when we asked for the digital rights which made us a bit nervous, as it was more than we budgeted.
    They're also including some things we don't want- preview cards (cards we give to people who want to order photos via their website: I will not be handing these out), an extended engagement session, and 3 mini albums. 
    Is it reasonable to ask them to get closer to the amount of money we had in mind? It would be a reduction of about $300. 

Have you asked them to take these items out of the package in exchange for digital rights? That sounds like the place to start. They may not want to get rid of the preview cars (particularly if they see them as marketing material, instead of something they do for you), but an engagement session alone may cost $200-$300 depending on the photographer. That seems like a fair exchange. 
  • edited January 2016
    You can always ask. They can say no if they don't like your offer.

The price went up significantly when you asked for the digital rights bc once you have them, the photog isn't going to make any more money on prints. It is not unusual for a photog to charge an additional $500 or more on top of the package for the digital rights if they weren't already included.

I only considered photogs whose packages included the digital rights. Whatever you decide, make sure it is clearly spelled out in your contract with cost, delivery times and what exactly you will receive. GL!
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• edited January 2016

I found it ridiculous when I saw photo packages that charged extra for digital rights and such. I also only looked at photogs that already included that. If this photographer you really like will not compromise then you need to look for someone else.

Edited to fix grammar

• I emailed and asked for a reduced price with the rights, but without all these other items that seemed unnecessary. I explained it was out of my budget but we still would like to work with them. After 4 days, two new quotes came that were reduced in price and it was a more itemized option as opposed to so package oriented. We decided to go for it, as we really like their style. 
  • Nice! Glad it worked out for you
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards